Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remove shadow effect from Finder (again)

Remove shadow effect from Finder (again)
nitrofurano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2009, 04:47 PM

Shadowkiller works fine on me: [unsanity] ShadowKiller - Remove shadows and speed up the Mac OS X

(i'm answering to http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...t-from-finder/ - I couldn't post this answer because this forum said that thread were too old - forum admins, please fix this situation, it's very annoying...)

nitrofurano  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2009, 04:50 PM

now i would ask on how can i have the NeXT-Step GUI instead of Aqua, for gaining even more performance... - it's so stupid seeing MacOS-X loosing performance on so silly things like GUI effects... - maybe that's why i'm doing dual-boot with Ubuntu Linux on Apple machines, and using GNU/Linux more than MacOS-X there...

larkost
Mac Elite
May 21, 2009, 06:19 PM

First I don't think you are going to get anywhere with your request that threads be kept alive more than a year after they have gone quiet.

Second, the MacOS graphics system (Aqua) uses hardware acceleration that the other NeXT-derived OS's can't come close to matching. In all likelihood a direct port would be significantly slower on modern hardware. Most of the GUI effects (such as shadows) are essentially costless for most operations (unless we are talking about the few single-buffer windows left) because they all take place in the GPU.

I think if you really look at why you spend more time in Linux it will be for other reasons, totally unconnected with Aqua.

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2009, 07:47 PM

Our rule is that a thread with no activity for six months or more is permanently locked. This is important because the older posts can become confusing and outdated after that amount of time, especially when read right next to brand new posts. Posting the link to the old thread is exactly what we want users to do, because it becomes obvious that old posts are old and readers aren't confused by posts made a long time apart not making sense because of new developments. That link gives readers everything they need to understand where you're coming from, but it makes a very strong break from your NEW thread and OLD discussions.

You might visit our GUI Customization forum for more information on adapting the GUI to your liking. You might be surprised at how much information on all sorts of aspects of the GUI you'll find there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 07:07 AM

OT: I like it when "annual" threads pop up, like "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules