Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2010 NBA Playoffs

2010 NBA Playoffs (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 02:32 AM

Definitely didn't see three sweeps in Round 2 coming, with only one of them going for (at least) 6.

...and I definitely didn't think it would be the Cavs stretched by the Celts.

I'm guessing that if Cleveland is knocked out again this year pre-Finals, LeBron is gone to New York. If they at least come close to the title, I would hope that he'd be determined to bring a championship to Cleveland. If they don't seem like they'll ever get it done, why not go to a huge market where he could be the biggest face in the "greatest city in the world?"

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 03:52 AM

If lebron falls short of the title this year he will not be in clevland next year. Here's to lebron becoming a Knick and the lakers repeating

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 07:56 AM

I'm not sure I understand all this "Lebron is going to New York" stuff.

It would have to be a sign-and-trade. There's no way he's taking tens of millions of dollars less in salary to be straight-up signed by the Knicks. With the new CBA negotiations coming up in a couple years, he would probably be insane to lower his salary at this point - because I'd be very surprised if owners allow a salary increase at this point.

And then what pieces do NY have in that case? This is the NBA - there has to be salary parity. What, is Cleveland going to take Gallinari and Lee for Bron-Bron? And where does that leave him now - on the Knicks, with zero supporting cast?

Nah. Unless they can, say, also get Chris Bosh on board and get them both on the Knicks and stick filler around them, I have trouble seeing how it would work - and in that scenario they'd have to give up like all their first-rounders for the next 100 years.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes down.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 10:47 AM

He'd easily make up for the difference in salary through endorsements. He's already the current face of the NBA; if he was in New York, it'd be taken to a whole new level.

Also...it's Cleveland...c'mon...

Why would NY have to give up first-rounders? Bosh and James are both free agents.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 11:25 AM

But by leaving as free agents they'd lose tens of millions of dollars, like I said. Why would either of them not push for a sign and trade? Their contracts would be larger and longer that way.

Especially with the CBA issues looming and the owners sending strong signals that a more restrictive cap will be pushed, why would you lock yourself into a shorter-term, less-money deal now? That doesn't make sense.

greg

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 12:22 PM

If he goes to NY, he better get used to losing. If it's a money trip, which is the only thing it can be, I don't want to hear any crying over not winning, ala (Alex Rodriguez/Texas Rangers contract). He's in a much better position now to win than he would be in NY. Agreed it will be interesting to see how this thing plays out.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 03:45 PM

If I was LeBron, and I knew my legacy would hinge mostly upon how many championships I ultimately win, you'd better believe I'd take less money so that another big-name free agent could be signed alongside me.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If he goes to NY, he better get used to losing.
I think he's already fairly accustomed to it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 03:53 PM

If he gets bounced by the Celts I'm labeling him the next Karl Malone til he actually gets the ring.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 03:58 PM

If you think money is factoring into LeBron's decision, you're pretty naïve. He already has massive amounts of money and he'll just make more through endorsements. what he really (only) cares about is winning and that trumps anything else. I would imagine if he does move to New York, he'd even take a salary cut to allow the Knicks room to sign players that will help him.

but I really don't think he'll go. He's going to stay in Cleveland and try to win them multiple championships. The cavaliers have already put people around him trying to help him win and they'll only continue doing everything they can to get him to stay and win.

He doesn't care about the money. He just wants to be in the best place to win a championship, period. going to New York will set him back 4 years.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 11, 2010 at 04:05 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 04:01 PM

LeBron won't take a pay cut. It may not be about the money, but it is about status. And its hard to believe LeBron would accept being less than a "max contract" player, even for a ring.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
The cavaliers have already put people around him trying to help him win and they'll only continue doing everything they can to get him to stay and win.
I agree largely with your other points, but how has the Cavs organization really helped him in that regard?

Shaq? 38 (look at the 2009 Suns and compare them to 2010)
Jamison? 33 (underachiever and chronic loser)
Mo Williams? Not exactly a Pippen/MJ combo. More like a B.J. Armstrong/MJ combo.

Who is helping the guy, really? He's doing it all himself in Cleveland, especially in the playoffs. Jamison is putting up 17 per game, but he has a tendency to no-show or make horrible decisions in big moments. Not trustworthy.

This either says it all about the Cavs' over-reliance on James, or just demonstrates his talents:

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If I was LeBron, and I knew my legacy would hinge mostly upon how many championships I ultimately win, you'd better believe I'd take less money so that another big-name free agent could be signed alongside me.
Agreed. He could make a hell of a lot more money in endorsements winning titles, than he would from his salary.

I think he's already fairly accustomed to it.
In the playoffs, no doubt. At least, in Cleveland, they can win enough games to even get there to try for a title, but he still needs some dependable help there.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 11:43 PM

I agree largely with your other points, but how has the Cavs organization really helped him in that regard?

Shaq? 38 (look at the 2009 Suns and compare them to 2010)
This was a one time thing to try to get over the hump and win one THIS year only. They got him to handle Dwight if (when?) they meet the Magic in the Eastern Finals.

Jamison? 33 (underachiever and chronic loser)
I don't know what to think of the chronic loser tag. Karl Malone was a "chronic loser" but if was still in his prime and the Cavs got him to play along side LeBron, I'm sure you'd be switching your tune. (hate to pick on the Jazz but Stockton works in this scenario too.)

Mo Williams? Not exactly a Pippen/MJ combo. More like a B.J. Armstrong/MJ combo.
Um, has there ever been a combo like Pippen/Jordan since then? Maaaybe Shaq/Kobe, but that's a stretch.

Who is helping the guy, really? He's doing it all himself in Cleveland, especially in the playoffs. Jamison is putting up 17 per game, but he has a tendency to no-show or make horrible decisions in big moments. Not trustworthy.

This either says it all about the Cavs' over-reliance on James, or just demonstrates his talents:

The Cavs are trying, is my point is all. I'm pretty sure Kobe is leading in three categories on his team (in the regular season he leads in points, assists, and steals. Superstars tend to lead in more than one category.

But I will agree that their attempts to get him haven't been as successful as they expected. I was pretty excited when Shaq and Antawn got on the team. We'll just have to see how the rest of this Celtics series goes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If he gets bounced by the Celts I'm labeling him the next Karl Malone til he actually gets the ring.
Feelin' good about this one after the dump he took in last night's game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 01:10 PM

This was a one time thing to try to get over the hump and win one THIS year only. They got him to handle Dwight if (when?) they meet the Magic in the Eastern Finals.
Winning once won't matter to LeBron when the greats won multiple championships. He wants to be set up for a dynasty.

I don't know what to think of the chronic loser tag. Karl Malone was a "chronic loser" but if was still in his prime and the Cavs got him to play along side LeBron, I'm sure you'd be switching your tune. (hate to pick on the Jazz but Stockton works in this scenario too.)
Antawn Jamison is no Karl Malone or Charles Barkley.

Um, has there ever been a combo like Pippen/Jordan since then? Maaaybe Shaq/Kobe, but that's a stretch.
Nah...

But my point is that if they're all going to label LeBron the "next Jordan," then they're going to have to remember that the first Jordan didn't win a championship until Pippen came into his own. LeBron doesn't have a Pippen (he does have a Zombie Shaq, but that's not the same).

The Cavs are trying, is my point is all. I'm pretty sure Kobe is leading in three categories on his team (in the regular season he leads in points, assists, and steals. Superstars tend to lead in more than one category.
The Cavs definitely are trying, but they're also failing. Kobe can lead several categories, but he also has Pau Gasol to take the burden off of him at times. Gasol dominated Game 4.

[EDIT] James also leads in steals. In other words, he leads in the 5 most important categories.

But I will agree that their attempts to get him haven't been as successful as they expected. I was pretty excited when Shaq and Antawn got on the team. We'll just have to see how the rest of this Celtics series goes.
I'm predicting a 10-point Celtic win and parades in NYC shortly afterward.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 01:14 PM

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles...

POINTS - Kobe
REBOUNDS - Gasol
ASISSTS - Kobe
BLOCKS - Bynum
STEALS - Artest

Kobe leads in two major categories in the postseason: points and assists. During the regular season, he led in points and steals.

Winning NBA championships takes a team.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 03:42 PM

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles...

POINTS - Kobe
REBOUNDS - Gasol
ASISSTS - Kobe
BLOCKS - Bynum
STEALS - Artest

Kobe leads in two major categories in the postseason: points and assists. During the regular season, he led in points and steals.

Winning NBA championships takes a team.
He led in Points, Steals, Assists in regular season.
Lakers Universe - Los Angeles Lakers 2009-2010 Regular Season, standings, team leaders, schedule and news

Anyway, way to drop the ball LeBron. I didn't watch the game but from the highlights and what everyone was saying, he literally didn't play in that game. Looks as if the Cavs are not coming out of this series

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I don't expect this will come back to Cleveland.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 04:06 PM

He led in Points, Steals, Assists in regular season.
Lakers Universe - Los Angeles Lakers 2009-2010 Regular Season, standings, team leaders, schedule and news

Anyway, way to drop the ball LeBron. I didn't watch the game but from the highlights and what everyone was saying, he literally didn't play in that game. Looks as if the Cavs are not coming out of this series
He played, just not very well - about on par with his team mates throughout the series.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

If the Celtics can keep up this type of balanced attack, they're going to be difficult to deal with for any team. I just wonder if they have enough fuel in the tank to make it through this round and through the much more youthful and rested Magic.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 11:08 PM

I came in here for a little bout of "I told you so."

LeBron James - 8/21 - 27 PTS - 19 RB - 10 AST - 3 STL - 1 BL
Antawn Jamison - 2/10 - 5 PTS - 5 RB - 0 AST - 2 STL - 0 BL (Nice guy, but a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEERRRRRR)
Shaquille O'Neal - 4/7 - 11 PTS - 4 RB - 1 AST - 0 STL - 0 BL
Mo Williams - 8/18 - 22 PTS - 7 RB - 4 AST - 2 STL - 0 BL
Anthony Parker - 2/4 - 7 PTS - 4 RB - 0 AST - 0 STL - 0 BL
Anderson Varejao - 2/7 - 6 PTS - 7 RB - 0 AST - 1 STL - 0 BL
Delonte West - 0/2 - 3 PTS - 1 RB - 0 AST - 1 STL - 0 BL

The team absolutely quit in the final two minutes. They didn't foul. They waltzed the ball down the court. No heart. No swagger. No soul.

*slow clap*

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 12:25 AM

I like the Chicago rumors =D

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 01:35 AM

Yeah, I bet you do.

Apparently it's looking most likely (just a few hours into the massive speculation to come)...

LeBron to Bulls?

In the space of five minutes I heard from three NBA GMs via text, e-mail and phone. All three said that based on the information they have, they believe LeBron will leave the Cavs.

More surprisingly, all of them said they believe the destination will be the Chicago Bulls. Two said they believe that John Calipari will be the Bulls' new head coach.

One GM went a bit further in a phone call a few minutes later. "I think the Bulls are really going to go for it. Look for them to offer the Cavs Luol Deng in a sign-and-trade for LeBron. That will allow them to retain most of their cap space. Then they'll go after Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh as well."
Rose, Noah, James, and Bosh? Freaky.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 14, 2010, 03:57 AM

Rose & James alone would be more than he had in clevland.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 14, 2010, 09:40 AM

James has plenty of good reasons to come to New York, Chicago or even Miami. The tough thing is going to be leaving Cleveland, knowing full well the effect that will have on basketball there.

It would be a wonderful thing - but it doesn't seem like he can win with that team, and who knows how or when it will get better. Why should he pay for his team's inability to put a winner around him in 7 years?

If he wants to win, his best bet has to be Chicago (I'm not buying the sign and trade for Deng though). But New York, especially adding say, Bosh, is not too far behind. That is is D'Antoni is still viewed as an attractive coach...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2010, 09:41 AM

I came in here for a little bout of "I told you so."
Was anyone disagreeing with you?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2010, 12:40 PM

Who is that Boston guard disguised as Rajon Rondo ??

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 15, 2010, 12:25 AM

I've never seen Lebron look so disengaged and uninterested in a game before. He shows more passion in pre season games. He had a good game on paper (minus the turnovers), but he really looked like he could have cared less the last two games of that series. If I didn't know better, I would think he put fourth 75% effort and kinda wanted to lose on purpose so he'd have an easy out of Cleveland. Having said that, my guess is that he ends up in NY.

Lebron has ALWAYS been a "me first" sort of player and person. What better stage to exhibit his ego than NY? I could also see him going to Chicago though given the size of the market, the winning tradition they had there, the whole MJ legacy, and of course the talent they already have in place there.

I sincerely think he is going to put dollar signs and pop culture status above winning though. I think he'd rather go to NY, be the most famous athlete in the world and lose, rather than go to Chicago or Miami or the like and win. :/
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Rumor  (op)
May 15, 2010, 02:59 PM

LB may have just been getting tired of carrying the team. I know would.

Now that the Cavs are out, I guess I will have to root for the Lakers.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Was anyone disagreeing with you?
I did tell you so. Whether or not you agreed is inconsequential.

And it's funny that this thread, along with the rest of the sports world, is now focusing more squarely upon LeBron's future instead of the conclusion of the playoffs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Now that the Cavs are out, I guess I will have to root for the Lakers.
Good god, why? No pulling for a Suns upset?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 01:19 AM

And it's funny that this thread, along with the rest of the sports world, is now focusing more squarely upon LeBron's future instead of the conclusion of the playoffs.
Maybe because there was a week off between games? Or maybe because everyone knows the lakers will repeat.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 09:03 PM

Magic really failed to show up for game 1...

Rumor  (op)
May 16, 2010, 09:07 PM

Good god, why? No pulling for a Suns upset?
Why would I root for the Suns?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 10:22 PM

Jesus Shuttlesworth!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 17, 2010, 11:21 AM

I did tell you so. Whether or not you agreed is inconsequential.
The sun will set today. I so told you.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Maybe because there was a week off between games? Or maybe because everyone knows the lakers will repeat.
In what ****ing retarded world do the Celtics finish their series after both the Lakers and Suns and start the next one before them.

Its like TVs version of print media.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 17, 2010, 05:28 PM

Didn't seem to bother them any.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 17, 2010, 05:55 PM

Not the point.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 07:24 PM

Who's watching tonight? Go LA! (Hopefully we can get a decent performance from Artest &/or Odom tonight).

Sealobo
Jun 17, 2010, 07:48 PM

I don't really care about which team wins, as long as it ain't kobe.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 08:42 PM

What do you have against Kobe?

Sealobo
Jun 17, 2010, 08:48 PM

don't like his attitude that's all.

o and his face is ugly.

yes i am a kobe-hater.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
don't like his attitude that's all.

o and his face is ugly.

yes i am a kobe-hater.
... k

--

Are the refs going to call any fouls?

Sealobo
Jun 17, 2010, 09:21 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 09:41 PM

Because Bryant is the only guy who plays dirty... oh wait, it's the NBA. Everyone plays dirty.

http://www.examiner.com/x-54459-Bost...010-NBA-Finals

scroll down and watch the video.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Bah...

You can't blame Kobe. He just has a wide stance.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2010, 01:12 AM

I hate the Lakers.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 02:10 PM

At least he shot under 25%

/got nothin

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2010, 01:22 PM

I figure its worth bumping this thread just to elicit some commentary on LeBron scheduling a one hour special just to say "I'm resigning with the Cavs."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 01:27 PM

I'm putting my money on the Cleveland Indians.

Forum Links
Forum Rules