Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Selling a personalized iPod?

Selling a personalized iPod?
Bounce_Tigger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 11:30 PM

Does anyone have experience with this? I have a fully functional 9 month old 8GB black nano with AppleCare, no scratches or wear and tear. I will be getting the 8GB iPhone later this month, thus rendering my little friend useless. I would sell it, but it has my full name on the back. I've loooked into removing the engraving and the suggestions are dangerous and not worth the trouble.
The trade-in programs I've looked at (Tweeter and Beyond the Pod) will offer me up to 150, which is not bad, but I'm a little wary of their processes.
I've considered going to the geniuses in hopes of swapping it out for a new unengraved Pod, but there really is nothing wrong with it.
Thoughts? Anyone WANT one?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2007, 12:15 AM

What were the suggestions given? I would think you could get a jeweler to just scratch it off, although that would be ugly.

quiklee
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 12:58 AM

what's your name . . maybe we can think of a way to engrave around it . . . let's say your name is John

John Mayer Special Edition
Listen to this in the John
John Lennon's Old iPod
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Oversoul
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 10:44 AM

Yeah, this is why I always tell my friends and family never to go with the engraving option--it kills the resell value.

Your best bet might be to go with the trade in programs, or place it on eBay with a reserve at how much you *think* it is worth with your name engraved (be realistic, unless you're famous). Given that so many people wrap their iPods in cases, some might not mind having an engraving they'll never see. Be upfront about it, and maybe offer the iPod with a case as well, and see if you get any bites.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 10:48 AM

just put it on ebay "sold as is" and dont put a picture of the back.. then they have no excuses...

jersey
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 11:30 AM

You can buy replacement housings here. I've never purchased from them before, but they seem to get good reviews from what I've read in other forums. I'll be purchasing my replacement ipod case from the shortly.

-Q-
Jul 18, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
just put it on ebay "sold as is" and dont put a picture of the back.. then they have no excuses...
That's cheap and deceptive and would get you negative feedback.

Looks like the best option is to get one of the housings referenced by jersey and swap it out.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2007, 11:55 AM

Given the risk involved in installing it (his iPod may still be under warranty as well) I wouldn't really recommend going that route.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2007, 12:50 PM

The other thing to consider is that a replacement case would have a different serial number on the back.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 08:05 PM

If you take a few dollars off the selling price on ebay, people probably won't mind.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 02:06 AM

Yea.. just put it on ebay, with the notice of the engraving on it. Someone out there will want it and won't care. It will either go in a case and never come out, or someone will figure out some way to cover it up. Maybe a sticker or label?

seaofcrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 02:27 AM

Did you look at nextworth? I'm not sure if they buy engraved iPod's, but they might. I used them and found them reliable. I concur about the not caring thing. People buying used electronics aren't usually ones who are anal about physical attributes.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Glossy

NoBadBreaks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 05:17 AM

my friend re-cased his when it got super scratched, came out nice

Forum Links
Forum Rules