Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thoughts on a Linux mini-notebook PC? ...

Thoughts on a Linux mini-notebook PC? ... (Page 3)
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
And wait 6-8 weeks? You sound like a typical arrogant IT guy. I assume you are being sarcastic.
Sheesh, I don't know where this came from, but he's exactly right.

None of this is a "Linux" thing by the way, like knowing how to burn a disk image, or boot a Mac from the CD drive.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 01:25 AM

The attitude is PURE Linux though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 01:47 AM

Having basic computer skills is now a "Linux attitude"? Heh. If you say so.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The attitude is PURE Linux though.
Spoken like a true Linux hater. This is the typical attitude someone has against someone who likes Linux. I see it all the time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 02:29 AM

The hypocrisy of it all is that if Erik is like most Mac users, he would become irritated when people make similar snide remarks about the Mac.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:41 AM

If it's valid criticism - like this most definitely is, I'm likely to listen and more often than not side with the critics. It is after all only helpful to want to improve your platform of choice. There's definitely nothing hypocritical at all here.

Kudos on perpetuating the stereotypes there CH.

Nice addition of persecution syndrome too ctt1wbw (however you pronounce that)!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 03:08 AM

Check. I did not download the 64-bit version.
And if you boot while holding down option, does it not show the CD?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 03:26 AM

LOL! Erik, you're hysterical! Thanks for taking the thread another turn toward chuckle-worthiness.

I guess I should just resign myself to the fact that you sure as hell can't have a discussion with anyone about Linux, if they can't even use a Mac!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 04:29 AM

Cut the personal crap.
Chuck
___

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 06:47 AM

This is exactly why Linux isn't ready for the mainstream. RR has most definitely better than average computer skills - he's shown that in the past. He might not be a sys admin, but he's successfully keeping his Mac up to date, he uses reasonably complex photo manipulating software and he's partitioned his hard drive with boot camp. All of this shows that he is a competent computer user.

To say that the problems he's running into with his Linux install are due to his lack of computer skills is ludicrous. Any software that wants to play in the consumer market needs to be a lot more user friendly.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 07:09 AM

My computer skills are not that great either, but even I can install Linux. It just takes a google search or something. Plus, if you have a Motorola based Mac, you need the PPC install disk. If you have an Intel based Mac, you don't. Plus, if you have Boot Camp installed, there are further instructions you need to follow to install Linux. It just takes a search of the Ubuntu forums or something. Simple.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:17 AM

Obviously not simple enough. Otherwise he wouldn't have run into the problems he's running into.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Having basic computer skills is now a "Linux attitude"? Heh. If you say so.
I think there is a HUGE discrepancy between what you consider "basic" skills, and what Joe-Blow-needs-a-computer-for-email-myspace-and-shopping considers "basic" skills.

Linux is not an option for the latter - in fact, even some aspects of OS X (installing from .dmg files, for example) border on the too complex.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And if you boot while holding down option, does it not show the CD?
Do I burn the CD simply by dragging the .iso file to the CD-R Icon and clicking burn? Or is there some other option I need to select.

Thanks for the help.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 09:03 AM

Disk images are burned using Disk Utility (or Toast).

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 09:03 AM

If it's valid criticism - like this most definitely is, I'm likely to listen and more often than not side with the critics. It is after all only helpful to want to improve your platform of choice. There's definitely nothing hypocritical at all here.

Kudos on perpetuating the stereotypes there CH.

Nice addition of persecution syndrome too ctt1wbw (however you pronounce that)!
I am now beginning to think being mocked for not knowing how to install LINUX might actually be a compliment.

When/IF I get this up and running and actually use it regularly I do not become the typical LINUX shill.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
So... I DON'T use the finder?

Thanks.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 09:36 AM

This thread looks like fun.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 09:40 AM

Ok, just to try and clear things up, here's a step by step:

1. Download the appropriate ISO (either PPC, x86/i386/i686, or amd64/x86_64 depending on what kind of processor your computer has, if it's a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo you want the x86/i386/i686).
2. Open Disk Utility, drag the ISO to the side bar on the left. It should show up at the bottom of the list of devices under a divider. Select it, and click burn. It'll prompt you to insert a CD-R, &c.
3. Once the CD is burned, put it in your drive (will probably eject after burning) and restart.
4. Hold 'c' while it boots to get it to boot from the CD.
5. It'll take a while to boot since you're loading an entire OS off a CD, but once it does you should have a live, complete Ubuntu setup ready to use. At this point it's just running off the CD so it will be slow, but it also will not have actually installed anything to your hard drive so it's risk free.
6. If you want to actually install it so you can run it at full speed off your hard drive, there should be an icon on the desktop to that effect (I don't know exactly what it will be/say, I don't really use Ubuntu). The important part here, if you want it to coexist peacefully with your OS X install, is to make sure you only have it install on the Boot Camp partition.

Here's some pretty good documentation for installing Ubuntu onto a Boot Camp partition: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
This is exactly why Linux isn't ready for the mainstream. RR has most definitely better than average computer skills - he's shown that in the past. He might not be a sys admin, but he's successfully keeping his Mac up to date, he uses reasonably complex photo manipulating software and he's partitioned his hard drive with boot camp. All of this shows that he is a competent computer user.

To say that the problems he's running into with his Linux install are due to his lack of computer skills is ludicrous. Any software that wants to play in the consumer market needs to be a lot more user friendly.
Ironically, it turns out it's burning a CD in Mac OS X that was giving him trouble rather than anything to do with Linux.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 09:55 AM

Ironically, it turns out it's burning a CD in Mac OS X that was giving him trouble rather than anything to do with Linux.
heh.

In all fairness, though, using the Mac OS has obviously never required him to burn a disk image, so the strike is still against Linux.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 10:03 AM

In all fairness, though, using the Mac OS has obviously never required him to burn a disk image,
If it hadn't been for a project to resurrect my old PowerBook last year, I'd never have learned either.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 10:03 AM

heh.

In all fairness, though, using the Mac OS has obviously never required him to burn a disk image, so the strike is still against Linux.
That's only because OS X doesn't even give you the chance to download a demo. If he got the boxed CD like he does for OS X, he wouldn't have to do it for Linux either.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 10:11 AM

That's only because OS X doesn't even give you the chance to download a demo. If he got the boxed CD like he does for OS X, he wouldn't have to do it for Linux either.
That doesn't contradict my point, at all, actually:

1) That Apple doesn't offer a demo download of OS X has in part to do with their desire to present a seamless and utterly painless user experience. Which is precisely the point here.

2) Many home users will never actually touch an OS X install disk, ever. a) The machine comes fully pre-installed. b) If something's borked, they'll bring it in. c) They'll probably never upgrade their system beyond the regular free updates.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 10:34 AM

I can't believe how much traction such a ridiculous argument like this has here...

It doesn't matter what OS RR would want to install on his computer, he needs install media. He can gain install media by having it shipped to him, or by burning an ISO. There are plenty of places (where I work) that distribute Windows via ISOs as well. If somebody struggles with burning the image in OS X, does that make Windows hard to use too?

Really people, your bias couldn't be more transparent.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 11:02 AM

I think there is a HUGE discrepancy between what you consider "basic" skills, and what Joe-Blow-needs-a-computer-for-email-myspace-and-shopping considers "basic" skills.

Linux is not an option for the latter - in fact, even some aspects of OS X (installing from .dmg files, for example) border on the too complex.
The irony is, what I'm talking about as basic computer skills, are basic skills needed to use a Mac- nothing to do with Linux. It's telling that that has to even be pointed out.

How can anyone really think they're making some kind of "valid criticism" of Linux if they can't figure things like disk images or booting from a CD on a Mac? (Which also demonstrates a lack of ability to look up simple things on Google- an 8 year old can figure that out).

Come off it already. That's pretty goofy. There's absolutely nothing useful to be said about Linux or any other OS if you don't even have the basic skills needed to use a Mac to ENABLE yourself to even try it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 11:28 AM

That doesn't contradict my point, at all, actually:

1) That Apple doesn't offer a demo download of OS X has in part to do with their desire to present a seamless and utterly painless user experience. Which is precisely the point here.

2) Many home users will never actually touch an OS X install disk, ever. a) The machine comes fully pre-installed. b) If something's borked, they'll bring it in. c) They'll probably never upgrade their system beyond the regular free updates.

Ahh, so your point can be summed up not as a critique on LInux, but in saying that people won't install *any* alternative OS other than what ships with their computer. Fair enough, but I think most of us could have told you this before this thread even began.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 11:35 AM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 12:58 PM

And the comment on that comic:
This really is a true story, and she doesn't know I put it in my comic because her wifi hasn't worked for weeks.
Chuck
___

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:30 PM

I love yesterday's xkcd; I thought of this thread immediately when I saw it.

How am i supposed to know that?
Why would OS X be involved in booting another operating system when it's not involved in booting another operating system on any other computer?

"firmware"?
Firmware is the software burned into chips on the logic board that get the computer to the point where an operating system can take over.

"may"?
I'm not familiar enough with Macs to know if they'll automatically boot off a CD drive when a bootable disk is inserted.

And wait 6-8 weeks? You sound like a typical arrogant IT guy. I assume you are being sarcastic.
Yes, wait for the physical disk to be delivered to you, just like you did with OS X. The problems you seem to be having are unrelated to Linux and would occur if you downloaded an OS X or Windows disk image from the internet (which can be done legally through the respective developer programs). I vaguely recall there being some difficulty with burning bootable CDs in OS X, but I don't remember enough details to know if it affects what you're trying to do.

A users ability to use photo editing software reflects very little on their computer skills/knowledge. Railroader's problem isn't Linux, it's that he doesn't know how to use OS X.

If he acquired Linux the same way he acquired a new version of OS X (going to the store and buying it or having it shipped to him), he would not have any of the issues he has had so far.

Do I burn the CD simply by dragging the .iso file to the CD-R Icon and clicking burn? Or is there some other option I need to select.
No; you want to burn the contents of the iso file to the CD rather than the iso file itself. As someone else noted, you can do this with Disk Utility or Toast. I'm actually surprised that OSs don't present this option (burn file contents instead of file) when someone drags an iso to a CD, since I'd estimate 99% of the time that's what people want to do; I'm also somewhat surprised that a Mac user isn't more familiar with the notion that a disk image file is different than the contents of the disk image.

I am now beginning to think being mocked for not knowing how to install LINUX might actually be a compliment.
You haven't yet reached the process of installing Linux; all of your problems so far are OS X related.

He's welcome to acquire Linux the same way he'd acquire an OS X upgrade and he chose not to. It's unreasonable to fault Linux for giving him an alternative choice.

I don't see Apple's lack of a demo download having anything to do with a desire to present a seemless/painless user experience. Who would they offer a demo disk to that they wouldn't offer to sell an full OS disk to?
Also, given Railroaders troubles in OS X so far, it seems the OS X experience isn't quite so painless.

c) They'll probably never upgrade their system beyond the regular free updates.
Is that part of the "Macs last longer than PCs" argument? The Mac users continue using the original version of their software forever, so the system requirements don't increase, so they can keep using the Mac longer?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:39 PM

I don't know about Railroader's "troubles" in OS X - the only times I've ever encountered .iso files over the past twenty years of Mac use was when pirating stuff. It's not a native Mac format. And I can't say I've ever *HAD* to burn a disk image (except for support purposes, of course - firmware restoration discs, backup duplicate installation disks, all that: but support constitutes a paid service handling precisely those things a "normal" user can not be expected to know).

I do agree though that you make a good point wrt to just going out and buying an install disk, which probably would have allowed Railroader smooth sailing at least until the installation.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is that part of the "Macs last longer than PCs" argument? The Mac users continue using the original version of their software forever, so the system requirements don't increase, so they can keep using the Mac longer?
No, that's just the "most users never upgrade their operating system beyond free automatic updates" argument in its entirety.

They just don't.
( Last edited by analogika; Jul 30, 2008 at 02:46 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 02:43 PM

No, that's just the "most users never upgrade their operating system beyond free automatic updates" argument in its entirety.

They just don't.

I don't think that anybody would dispute that, but how is this relevant to this thread?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:59 PM

Semi-relevant, on the "basic computer skills" tangent.

Basically, I was saying that almost no "basic" user will ever encounter a situation in which he needs to a) burn a disk image, or b) boot a machine from a different startup disk (or, when you upgrade your Mac, the standard procedure is to insert the disk and double-click the "Install Mac OS X" icon that appears - no boot manager, no "C" key).

I was disputing Crash Harddrive's claim that this sort of stuff is necessary "basic computer skills".

Assuming that end users HAVE TO know stuff they should NEVER NEED (and, by corollary, that they're ignorant or stupid if they don't, or shouldn't be using a computer in the first place) is what erik called a "Linux attitude".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 03:01 PM

Semi-relevant, on the "basic computer skills" tangent.

Basically, I was saying that almost no "basic" user will ever encounter a situation in which he needs to a) burn a disk image, or b) boot a machine from a different startup disk.

I was disputing Crash Harddrive's claim that this sort of stuff is necessary "basic computer skills".

Assuming that end users HAVE TO know stuff they should NEVER NEED (and, by corollary, that they're ignorant or stupid if they don't, or shouldn't be using a computer in the first place) is what erik called a "Linux attitude".

Ahh, I see what you mean re: basic computer skills. As far as the "Linux attitude", that's just a dumb generalization, as most generalizations are.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Ahh, I see what you mean re: basic computer skills. As far as the "Linux attitude", that's just a dumb generalization, as most generalizations are.
Not really. Because this sort of assumed (i.e. required) knowledge is *precisely* why Linux is not a viable desktop OS.

Apple's attitude is to make the technology as transparent and "invisible" as possible, turning the computer into an appliance.

Much of what I've seen of Linux applications follows the "if it works, it's fine" attitude that keeps the market appeal extremely limited.

I *do* realize that this has been changing, and that e.g. Knoppix is pretty newb-compatible, but from what I gather, as a household appliance, Linux has probably a decade or two to go, if it *ever* reaches that state (or will it ever? Does the "community" even want to?).

Mind you, I think OS X has a ways to go, as well, but it's fairly obvious that a lot of effort is being invested into just that - witness iPhone and Apple TV as first real "appliance" efforts of OS X.

And this "basic computer skills" scenario isn't changing, either - apparently, it's becoming even more pronounced: I was talking to a tech journalist the other day, and studies they've done seem to indicate that the younger generation is actually *LESS* computer tech-savvy than the 30-ish generation. They're way more involved in social networking and "Web 2.0" stuff, so they're actually USING the machine more, but they have less technical background than the generation before, that still needed to acquire it (to get anything off the ground in the 90s).

This is second-hand info, of course, but it made sense, and I found it extremely intriguing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 03:31 PM

Not really. Because this sort of assumed (i.e. required) knowledge is *precisely* why Linux is not a viable desktop OS.

Apple's attitude is to make the technology as transparent and "invisible" as possible, turning the computer into an appliance.

Much of what I've seen of Linux applications follows the "if it works, it's fine" attitude that keeps the market appeal extremely limited.

I *do* realize that this has been changing, and that e.g. Knoppix is pretty newb-compatible, but from what I gather, as a household appliance, Linux has probably a decade or two to go, if it *ever* reaches that state.

Mind you, I think OS X has a ways to go, as well, but it's fairly obvious that a lot of effort is being invested into just that - witness iPhone and Apple TV as first real "appliance" efforts of OS X.

What you are saying here is *much* different than the assertion that Linux users feel that if you don't have some particular knowledge that you are stupid and should not be using a computer.

Linux is an OS designed by engineers for engineers, as has been said. If you are not interested in taking on the learning curve, this doesn't make you stupid... Lazy maybe, if you have reason to be taking in on and are looking for shortcuts or something, but it is a generalization to say that Linux users feel that anybody who doesn't take on the learning is stupid.

Now, if you are making statements that are factually incorrect (as has happened in this thread), this isn't stupidity, but ignorance. Ignorance has such a negative connotation generally, but when I say this I simply mean that you don't know something - i.e. I'm ignorant to many things too. Where the word is best used though is in describing somebody who thinks they know what they are talking about, are very aggressive and vocal about this, but really have no clue what they are talking about (as we've seen in this thread too). This is the worst kind of ignorance, in my opinion. If correcting these sorts of statements is some sort of "Linux attitude", I think this attitude is just what is needed to confront this.

This isn't anything unique to Linux either. I've seen time and time again people come here and rail against Apple or the Mac/iPhone/iPod/AppleTV/whatever and using all of these factually incorrect statements as the basis of their arguments, only to be confronted by the same sorts of willingness to correct.

Where there is room for improvement no matter what platform you are dealing with is the level of hostility. I try hard not to be rude when I try to make a correction or come up with a defense, but I know it can be hard to confront aggressiveness with a flat, unemotional correction.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Linux is an OS designed by engineers for engineers, as has been said. If you are not interested in taking on the learning curve, this doesn't make you stupid... Lazy maybe, if you have reason to be taking in on and are looking for shortcuts or something, but it is a generalization to say that Linux users feel that anybody who doesn't take on the learning is stupid.
Generalisations come about because they are generally true - whether you want to be PC about it or not. There is a general superiority complex about the Linux community, and with the qualification "lazy maybe" you reveal that you yourself are not above it as you are desperately trying to disprove it.

Like it or not, these attitudes are hurting the community. And if you actually READ LHB, you'll find that he is in fact NOT a Windows pundit, but rather a very knowledgeable ex-Linux developer who has become disillusioned by Linux and the FOSS movement. For very good reasons.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:22 PM

The basic user skill part kicks in whereby one types: www.google.com

Then one types: "how to burn .iso" or "How to boot Mac from CD"

Then one presses SEARCH.

Then one reads.

Then one actually learns something that's pretty damned easy.

These are indeed BASIC computer skills even 8 year olds and grandmothers often know to try first before they start calling people just trying to help them "arrogant IT types", or claiming they have a "Linux attitude" when it has nothing to do with Linux.

But then again, all of this requires some basic logic skills as well.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 07:25 PM

I love it. Why don't you throw in a RTFM in there to round it up too?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:29 PM

Nah, wouldn't want anyone to blow a gasket trying to figure out what RTFM means. WHAT IS THAT? TECH CODE??!!!! WAHHH!

Apparently, some folks need a manual for how to turn a computer ON, let alone something so amazingly high tech as a google search.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 07:30 PM

As for the burning an .iso image... Isn't the Mac OS system disks iso images?

And for the burning the Linux .iso image... you don't actually have to do that to run Linux. Just go and order a cd through the mail. They are free. And already .iso image files so you don't have to burn it that way.

Case solved.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 07:32 PM

I just like to sincerely thank you CH for being on my side. You prove my point so eloquently

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:39 PM

You're still trying to figure out the whole google search thing, aren't you erik?

Found the manual for it yet?

I'd post a link, but then that might escalate into a 20 page argument about those terrible Linux people expecting people to be able to use that high tech 'click' function.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 07:51 PM

This advice is what got me past my roadblock. Thanks.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 30, 2008, 07:53 PM

[nevermind, I feel unclean for having read this thread.]
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 30, 2008 at 08:04 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 08:01 PM

You're still trying to figure out the whole google search thing, aren't you erik?

Found the manual for it yet?
Yes, yet again you prove it.

The fact is that I have a very high technological understanding. I do tasks like coding web pages, setting up servers, reading man pages, basic terminal work. I'm not afraid to lookup regex expressions if I think it can help me. I'm not scared of the terminal. I can partition drives, download and burn disk images (and separate between the formats).

I know my limitations, and I know my strengths.

However, unlike you, I like to look at the BIG PICTURE. I don't shove my technological "superiority" down other people's throats, scoffing at their technological ability mistaking it for stupidity or laziness. It is this arrogance you see all the time in the Linux/FOSS community. And it's just one of many issues that will stop Linux from ever becoming anymore than a hobbyist niche/server platform.

The key to knowledge is to apply it well, not think it's some sort of pissing contest.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 08:18 PM

Erik, I'm sorry for whatever trauma you clearly suffered at the hands of some Linux person, but none of this had a thing to do with that- hell, it never even got that far.

I merely wondered why someone would be a dick to someone else who was merely trying to HELP them do something.

That's usually, by the way, when "RTFM!" gets tossed out (any platform, any issue), after someone has to get pissy expecting everyone else to hold their hand over something they could easily take 3 seconds to figure out for themselves, yes Virginia, using BASIC skills.

This whole tangent isn't in any way a "Linux" user issue, so it was a bit silly of you to start in with that in the first place- it's really more of a netiquette thing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 08:38 PM

I don't know about Railroader's "troubles" in OS X - the only times I've ever encountered .iso files over the past twenty years of Mac use was when pirating stuff. It's not a native Mac format.
A dmg, which is a native Mac format, for a CD has to be handled the same as an iso in this context.

[something about having to burn disk images for Linux]
You're welcome to, and it has already been suggested, acquire Linux through the same way most people acquire OS X or Windows: ordering disks or buying a computer with it preloaded. Just because Linux provides downloads for free (which OS X and Windows provide at cost) doesn't mean you have to use that method.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 09:05 PM

This whole tangent isn't in any way a "Linux" user issue, so it was a bit silly of you to start in with that in the first place- it's really more of a netiquette thing.
Oh, but it very much is so. Look at /., look at any mailing list ending in -devel, look at the Ubuntu help forums, look at Sourceforge, look at Richard Stallman, look at Linus Torvalds, Look at the comments at LHBs blog. Hell, look at your own comments.

This is a prevalent, and serious issue in the Linux/FOSS community from top to bottom and some serious introspection is needed. Like LH, I fear it's too late and it is a mire from which there is no escape.

FOSS is like communism, it sounds great in theory but it's hopeless to implement in practice. Human nature sees to that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 09:08 PM

Generalisations come about because they are generally true - whether you want to be PC about it or not. There is a general superiority complex about the Linux community, and with the qualification "lazy maybe" you reveal that you yourself are not above it as you are desperately trying to disprove it.

Like it or not, these attitudes are hurting the community. And if you actually READ LHB, you'll find that he is in fact NOT a Windows pundit, but rather a very knowledgeable ex-Linux developer who has become disillusioned by Linux and the FOSS movement. For very good reasons.
I don't really care what is hurting the community. I don't care what Linux's adoption rate is, really. I'm not on some crusade to get people to use Linux, or OS X, or whatever. I make recommendations where they are appropriate to people I work for/with, but I don't care if Johnny or Sally is running Linux, and I don't care if Johnny or Sally is offended by my implications that they are lazy and/or weenies, or if they think I'm some sort of computer elitist. The bottom line is, if they want to or have to use Linux, they can learn this stuff just like many others have. What is politically correct is trying to skirt around laziness, ignorance, or making it seem like a crime that I understand things that they don't.

Please let me know when your blogger hero actually has something insightful to say that is not simply trying to be sarcastic and "clever" without really making much of a unique, thoughtful, insightful point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules