Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printer sharing, AirPort, and Rendezvous

Printer sharing, AirPort, and Rendezvous
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2002, 01:21 PM

I have a Canon S60 which is connected to my Beige G3 via a USB card. Prints just fine.

The problem is, now I want to share it via Rendezvous with my TiBook over AirPort (Graphite BaseStation). I've got printer sharing turned on, and the appropriate ports are open. The TiBook can even see the printer in the Print Center dialog, so I know that's going through. I have the printer set up as the default.

Two things seem odd, though. First, in Print Center, I can't use the "Configure" button on either the Beige G3 or the TiBook; it's greyed out. That might be normal for this model, but I'm not sure.

Second, printing from the TiBook doesn't work. With some apps (notably Pepper), it starts to print and then I get an "Error while printing" dialog. But with most apps, it just seems to send the print job out into the ether. It doesn't even show up in the print queue on the Beige G3.

Am I missing something? Both machines are running 10.2, of course. Rendezvous seems to be working all right, given that the TiBook can see the printer. Anyone else have any ideas?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Fdanna
Oct 2, 2002, 01:30 PM

There is an article on apple's website that says when you are using certain network configs (I *THINK* airport with NAT) you need to add local. under the domain searches in the network control panel.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2002, 02:18 PM

I'm having a similar problem with an epson Stylus colour 680 connected to a yikes! G4 (ethernet, fixed assigned IP.)

I can print from the G4, but I cannot see the printer sharing service from my powerbook (airport - DCHP assigned)

The Powerbook, the G4 and the BaseStation have "local." as the "search domain".

I don't think rendezvous is to blame - as I can see other services announced by the G4.

when I plug the Printer into a powerbook and turn on sharing print center shows this (ignore first 4 printers):

(notice the second instance of the printer with a slightly different name)

but when attached to the G4 the print center looks like this:

(notice no second occurrence of the printer)

Does anyone who has printer sharing working have this duplication?

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2002, 09:42 PM

I'm looking for the article. Are you sure the dot goes after "local"? I thought Rendezvous did its stuff in a .local pseudo-TLD, with the dot coming before.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 12:06 AM

The "." definitely goes after "local" (of course w/out quotations around any of it).

Here's what I had to do to get printer sharing to work between my iBook and iMac.

First install the latest drivers for your printer on each machine you will print from. So, both the powerbook and the G3. Next, start printer sharing on both machines (this may be unneeded, but it's how I have it and it works).

enter the local. thingy on both systems in the network prefs (on the powerbook, put it in both the airport tab's "search" and the built in ethernet's "search")

now add the printer in print center. it should work, although I have never been able to run the "configure" tool from my iBook, only the iMac.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

souljer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 12:12 AM

Hello,

I had similar problems with my HP showing up in Print Center and still not receiving the print job via AirPort. As a matter of fact it even wouldn't print if the printer was directly hard wired to the PowerBook (an old wind-up, steam powered Pismo ).

Anyway, I don't know if this will help you but I've found for a lot of this kind of "inexplicable" behavior that the best thing is to delete / turn off the thing that's not working, then turn back on / "add" it back again. For some reason this sometimes allows the computer to "see" what's been there the whole time.

In other words, delete the printer, then add the printer. I also deleted and then re-installed the HP driver. All the settings were correct (AppleTalk on, etc.) but nothing worked until I made it find the stuff again. Would this be a bug?

Hope this helps or at least helps you figure out the real answer.

krove
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 02:03 AM

The configure button is for printers that support this in their driver.

For example, with new HP printers, the "Configure" button opens up the printers web configuration page. With HP inkjets, it opens their HP Inkjet Utility application. Some printers just do not support this button (my Xerox N17, for example). It just depends on your printer and your driver...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules