Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.4 at MWSF w/ .Mac Addressbook?

10.2.4 at MWSF w/ .Mac Addressbook?
ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 05:51 AM

Is this going to be a new version of iSync or Addressbook? Or another tool you only get together with .Mac?
http://www.mac.com/i/fpc/19/page1/me...ddressbook.gif

Are we going to see 10.2.4 at MWSF?

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 06:21 AM

Oh yeah, of course. Especially since we just had a 52mb update less than a 2 weeks ago.

Think.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by ablaze:
Is this going to be a new version of iSync
iSync is already 1.0 (but you might have posted this before it did so. we'll let it slide.)

or Addressbook? Or another tool you only get together with .Mac?
http://www.mac.com/i/fpc/19/page1/me...ddressbook.gif
Well, i'm guessing that the picture is an apple created picture. that has the date stamped on it. what do you think?

see above.

OT: i think Face Ache could be right about the moron quota.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 09:11 AM

I doubt that a new .Mac Address Book interface would require an OS update. We are not going to see 10.2.4 at MWSF.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 09:33 AM

iSync is already sending all your address book entries to .Mac, they are just not visible yet in the .Mac version of the address book.

I expect that .Mac will get a major update on the 7th, that will include a new brushed metal look, the .Mac address book feature, plus others. This will all be part of another big push of .Mac to get more people to join.

Just my guess.

Fdanna
Jan 3, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
iSync is already sending all your address book entries to .Mac, they are just not visible yet in the .Mac version of the address book.

I expect that .Mac will get a major update on the 7th, that will include a new brushed metal look, the .Mac address book feature, plus others. This will all be part of another big push of .Mac to get more people to join.

Just my guess.
Sounds like a very logical and probable guess to me!

ablaze  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 10:58 AM

Okay, okay, I just couldn't explain where this graphic came from, but I've taken a closer look and it seems it really is some website stuff. Perhaps a hint to the new .Mac look hopefully to be introduced at MWSF. (Especially the iCards section doesn't fit in very well.)

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
I expect that .Mac will get a major update on the 7th, that will include a new brushed metal look
Already has a brushed metal look.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:
Already has a brushed metal look.
Some things don't, namely webmail.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by absmiths:
True. I never use it, stupid entering twice a password. Neither yahoo or hotmail has that.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 12:37 PM

True. I never use it, stupid entering twice a password. Neither yahoo or hotmail has that.
Hmm, I only enter a password once. I guess FBI told them not to trust you so they set two password windows. Do you have any relations to any Arabic people?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Hmm, I only enter a password once. I guess FBI told them not to trust you so they set two password windows. Do you have any relations to any Arabic people?
Working at the moment in Dubai :o link

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 01:38 PM

I only type in my info once, but I go to:

webmail.mac.com

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Camali:
I only type in my info once, but I go to:

webmail.mac.com
That might be the difference. When you first go to www.apple.com and then click on .Mac you are asked for your password. Then you click on webmail and it asks again. As I use Chimera, it remembers my passwords, but I don't understand why I should enter it twice.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 02:14 PM

That might be the difference. When you first go to www.apple.com and then click on .Mac you are asked for your password. Then you click on webmail and it asks again. As I use Chimera, it remembers my passwords, but I don't understand why I should enter it twice.
Why dont you just go to/bookmark webmail.mac.com?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Why dont you just go to/bookmark webmail.mac.com?
ok ok, I got the idea. I never use it anyway.

Still, I do not see the point of entering twice. Please explain, I'm stupid...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2003, 02:31 PM

ok ok, I got the idea. I never use it anyway.

Still, I do not see the point of entering twice. Please explain, I'm stupid...
Because you are going to two different web servers that both require authentication. The webmail.mac.com server does not know or care that you already authenticated on www.mac.com. You need to authenticate on webmail.mac.com to access its services.
Vandelay Industries

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Jan 3, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
That is because they want it to look the same as Mail.app.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by ablaze:
Okay, okay, I just couldn't explain where this graphic came from, but I've taken a closer look and it seems it really is some website stuff. Perhaps a hint to the new .Mac look hopefully to be introduced at MWSF. (Especially the iCards section doesn't fit in very well.)
it is just .Mac webmail with Address Book integration. Note the "Logout" button on the upper right of the image.

-s*

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Because you are going to two different web servers that both require authentication. The webmail.mac.com server does not know or care that you already authenticated on www.mac.com. You need to authenticate on webmail.mac.com to access its services.
Okay, try his: Enter the main .Mac page and select to login. Once you arrive at the login window, click on the "Account" option at the top of te page. This will take you to a similar looking but differet login page. If you enter you username and password here...it brings you to your account page. Once there, Click "Home" at the top of the page. This returns you to the main .Mac page. Now, click webmail at the top. You are not required to login again. It takes you directly to your mail. You haven't authenticated to the webmail server in this instance. Or are you? I'm not sure.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
it is just .Mac webmail with Address Book integration. Note the "Logout" button on the upper right of the image.

-s*
Anyone with a .Mac account can see this image. Once you're logged in to .Mac it's right there.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 05:12 PM

Webmail does not have the Brushed Metal look at the moment.

Most of .Mac does but Webmail does not.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
Okay, try his: Enter the main .Mac page and select to login. Once you arrive at the login window, click on the "Account" option at the top of te page. This will take you to a similar looking but differet login page. If you enter you username and password here...it brings you to your account page. Once there, Click "Home" at the top of the page. This returns you to the main .Mac page. Now, click webmail at the top. You are not required to login again. It takes you directly to your mail. You haven't authenticated to the webmail server in this instance. Or are you? I'm not sure.
Hm, seems to work, indeed. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules