Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > use LCD 17"" iIMac for PC

use LCD 17"" iIMac for PC
Stardust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 08:04 AM

Hello there,

Does annyone know if it is possible to use my lcd screen of my 17"" widescreen imac, as an screen for my old PC.

I have my pc sitting there with no monitor.
I wondered if it was maybe possible to connect the LCD screen directly to my pc, or do it via firewire?
This way i can use both my mac and my pc for testing my work on the same screen. I dont want to use Virtual PC because it has to much delay.

I just dont know how the monitor signal now works on the mac since it has gone digital. Is there an way to solve this problem/challange?

Marcel Spaan
Multimedia Designer

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 12:35 PM

Stardust: If your PC runs Windows XP Pro, or one of MS's server OSs that allow remote connections, you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection to log into your PC from your iMac. Since RDC works over your Ethernet network, you won't need any additional hardware. I hear RDC is faster than Virtual PC, even with a cheap PC. RDC is free, so if you already have a PC, it's tough to beat the price.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Stardust: If your PC runs Windows XP Pro, or one of MS's server OSs that allow remote connections, you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection to log into your PC from your iMac. Since RDC works over your Ethernet network, you won't need any additional hardware. I hear RDC is faster than Virtual PC, even with a cheap PC. RDC is free, so if you already have a PC, it's tough to beat the price.

Escher
but how does he turn on terminal services w/out a monitor

Stardust  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 09:57 AM

Still i'm looking for information to do it on an hardware bases solution. This will mean i'll have to connect the LCD screen of my mac to the PC. My guess is it will have to have some sort of FireWire output of video. Then i can displaty the firewire signal the same way i would display an digital camera .

Or maybe just the same kind of digital signal apple uses for the LCD screen, and then hook it directly on to the mac's LCD screen.

I think there is an market for such an solution. Maybe not an really heavy commercial one butt still.

Marcel Spaan

Apr 16, 2003, 08:22 PM

someone had a device like that for the original iMac... as far as i know they know longer exist.

so ... apparently... there is *not* a market for something like that.

RDC on a local network seems just like a local PC with a real screen. borrow a monitor ... turn on the RDC access on the PC... give monitor back... use RDC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules