Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can current 1.24Ghz PowerMacs boot up in OS 9?

Can current 1.24Ghz PowerMacs boot up in OS 9?
laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 07:36 PM

I couldn't find a answer using a search pertaining to the current PowerMacs but would like to know if the current 1.42Ghz PowerMacs offered now from Apple will boot in OS 9?

I heard that Apple was going to make all Macs bootable only in OS X only as of January this year but that didin't turn out to be the case. I heard that it may happen with the next line of PowerMacs coming out this summer.
( Last edited by laseca; Apr 29, 2003 at 08:42 PM. )

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:03 PM

None of the currently shipping PowerMacs can boot into OS 9. If you need one that can, the Apple store has last year's dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac available.

I think the only shipping Macs that officially support booting into OS 9 are the eMacs and iBooks, which are being pushed toward the education market which still heavily relies on OS 9. Their pro models are OS X only now (except for the 15" PowerBook but that was introduced last Nov). I think the iMac can as well but isn't supported.

laseca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
None of the currently shipping PowerMacs can boot into OS 9. If you need one that can, the Apple store has last year's dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac available.
If none of the the currently offered PowerMacs boot off of OS 9, where on Apple's site do you buy the older dual 1.25Ghz model? Or what you meant to say was that the currently available dual 1.25Ghz (and the 1Ghz model?) can boot off of OS 9 but not the dual 1.42Ghz models. Right?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:26 PM

If you go to the Powermac section of the Apple Store, there is a little section on the right that says Mac OS 9 systems.

laseca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 11:21 PM

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules