Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help me with some proformance tips

Help me with some proformance tips
Deadline
Apr 30, 2003, 11:43 PM

Hey,

Currently im a student with a iBook 500mhz 128 ram.. im having some lack of proformance issues.... slow load times and other lags. Can anyone point me to some iBook "Pickme-up" id like to do some some upgrades.. when i get some money : )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 12:21 AM

1. More RAM. Get at least an extra 256 MB, for a total of 384 MB. It should cost $50 or less.

2. More RAM. If you can afford it, get an extra 512 MB for around $80, for a total of 640 MB. You'll thank yourself.

3. More RAM. You need a Phillips #0 screwdriver to install RAM, so make sure to get one of those.

4. More RAM. You also need a small flathead screwdriver to unlock the keyboard.

When I got my 800 MHz iBook, it came with 128 MB of RAM... and it was slow as molasses on a cold day. The moment I upgraded to 640 MB, I saw a tremendous performance increase. Honestly, it was unusable with only 128 MB.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

radarbob
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 11:06 AM

I think what R.J. is trying to say is "max out the RAM". I would only urge you to skip the 256MB and go right to 512MB. This makes an obvious difference; especially if you tend to have more than one or two apps open at one time.

There are no controls ala OS 9 for tweaking performance. The best you can do is give the OS all the memory you can and let OS X take care of itself.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 07:38 PM

www.dealram.com
www.ramseeker.com

Also, check that you don't have "Reduce processor performance" checked in the Energy Saver preferences (assuming you're in OSX).

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 04:53 PM

Other than RAM, also go to www.versiontracker.com and download MacJanitor. I just ran it on my iBook, Gatsby, and saw a little boost in my performance.

Have fun... Tony.

Ry�kan
May 4, 2003, 10:17 AM

Here's another vote for max-ing out the RAM. It's cheap and pretty easy to install.

The only thing I'd add is -- trying running DiskWarrior. I've heard that OS X really likes related files to be located near one another, and DiskWarrior does this. I believe they've got an OS-X specific version coming out soon. (The current version works with OS X, but must be run from OS 9).

milhouse
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 10:13 AM

1.Max out RAM

2.Regularly Maintain the OS (There are a number of decent utilities that can help with this). For example you might use:
*Jaguar Cache Cleaner (does what macjanitor does, deletes caches and much more. )
*DiskWarior v2.x & PlusOptimizer for defragging and optimization (this has never failed to improve performance for me)
*Repair Permissions with the Terminal
*Update Prebinding via the Terminal(debatable need)

3.Keep menu extra's, especially 3rd party to a bare minimum.

4.Get WindowShade by Unsanity to turn off drop shadows (shadows are a performance hog)

5.Try a "nice" type app such as Nicer, Benicer or Renicer. These can increase the "priority" of commonly used apps and make them more responsive, including the GUI itself.

6. Overclock that puppy. When I had it, I took my 500/66 to 600/100 and POW!, what a difference (not for the faint of heart)

Search Versiontracker or Google for more info.

HTH
"-Dodge This"

Deadline  (op)
May 5, 2003, 11:05 AM

Wow thanks guys! I would get more ram but my main priorotiy is fixing the CDrom that broke.. apple wants 600 to repair so im gonna get the upgrade for 300.. GO FIGURE! thanks for the help tho, trying all of them now..

Forum Links
Forum Rules