Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bootable DiskWarrior 3.0 CD made with BootCD

Bootable DiskWarrior 3.0 CD made with BootCD
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 08:22 AM

is there any way to speed up the boot process with a bootable DiskWarrior 3.0 CD made using BootCD? It takes about 5-10 times as long to boot up with one than it does to boot up regularly.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
is there any way to speed up the boot process with a bootable DiskWarrior 3.0 CD made using BootCD? It takes about 5-10 times as long to boot up with one than it does to boot up regularly.
There is a way but you must also remember that a CD inherently takes a while to boot.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
There is a way but you must also remember that a CD inherently takes a while to boot.
i do understand that it will take longer to boot, but it takes a really long time now. can you share the process you go through to speed up start up times?

JellyBeen
Senior User
May 15, 2003, 03:10 PM

i do understand that it will take longer to boot, but it takes a really long time now. can you share the process you go through to speed up start up times?
You know, if anyone knows its the maker of Boot CD. Ask Charles.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
You know, if anyone knows its the maker of Boot CD. Ask Charles.
good point, i can't believe i didn't think of that.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 10:14 PM

I'm surprised he hasn't popped in this thread yet...
I'm curious too.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2003, 02:21 AM

Booting from the CD is slow because it has a lot of daemons to load at startup.

Eventually, I'm going to see if there's any fat I can trim out of there, but first I'm trying to figure out how to get this thing more stable, so it hangs on fewer machines.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Weezer
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Booting from the CD is slow because it has a lot of daemons to load at startup.

Eventually, I'm going to see if there's any fat I can trim out of there, but first I'm trying to figure out how to get this thing more stable, so it hangs on fewer machines.
Ive never been able to actually boot up from 3 seperate CDs Ive made using BootCD. Every time it gets to the login panel, and I input the root/bootcd, I get a never ending beachball...

William_F_House
Forum Regular
May 22, 2003, 12:22 PM

I've been able to make a DiskWarrior 3 boot cd for OSX with DiscBoot. However, when I get to my login screen, it won't let me login in with any username/password that I know to be correct.

Does DiskWarrior need a specific login? (i.e. - root? which I've tried with no success)
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 01:01 PM

To log in, you need to use the username/password root/bootcd

The trick (at least for me) is not to tab between the two input fields, as I normally do when I log in... I type in root, use the mouse to click on the password input box and then type boot cd, then use the mouse to click on the accept button. Hope this helps!

Chris

Originally posted by William_F_House:
I've been able to make a DiskWarrior 3 boot cd for OSX with DiscBoot. However, when I get to my login screen, it won't let me login in with any username/password that I know to be correct.

Does DiskWarrior need a specific login? (i.e. - root? which I've tried with no success)

William_F_House
Forum Regular
May 22, 2003, 05:02 PM

Thanks Chris. That worked perfectly. Now, I suppose you'll tell me it was in the docs. RTFM, right? ;-)

Seriously, thanks.

Originally posted by Chris_G:
To log in, you need to use the username/password root/bootcd

The trick (at least for me) is not to tab between the two input fields, as I normally do when I log in... I type in root, use the mouse to click on the password input box and then type boot cd, then use the mouse to click on the accept button. Hope this helps!

Chris
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2003, 05:25 PM

Are you serious? It shouldn't make a difference whether you use tab or click in the field... if it is, something really weird is afoot.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 06:02 PM

the boot cd works for my TiBook 550 but when i tried it for my B&W G3/350 it goes to the darwin screen. this is really weird. i tried to type in the root/bootcd or my own login and pass and it won't go.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2003, 12:56 AM

Charles:

Weird, but true... this was a CD made on my PowerBook 667 DVI with 10.2.6... the only way I could get it to accept the password 'bootcd' was to physically click on the password field... tabbing caused the infamous login panel shake. I made two CDs (thinking the first one was defective), and both required the same trick (don't ask me what possessed me to try this... I was ready to chuck my computer out the window for a while.

Chris

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Are you serious? It shouldn't make a difference whether you use tab or click in the field... if it is, something really weird is afoot.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Chris_G:
Charles:

Weird, but true... this was a CD made on my PowerBook 667 DVI with 10.2.6... the only way I could get it to accept the password 'bootcd' was to physically click on the password field... tabbing caused the infamous login panel shake. I made two CDs (thinking the first one was defective), and both required the same trick (don't ask me what possessed me to try this... I was ready to chuck my computer out the window for a while.

Chris
Okay, well, thanks for the info.

Weird... maybe the next time someone e-mails me with this problem I'll ask them to do that and see if it has the same effect.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2003, 10:10 AM

Okay I tried it both ways and it still doesn't allow me to log in on my 600MHz iBook. It worked the very first time I ever created a CD to repair the disk on this machine and hasn't worked since. doesn't allow me to log in. I tried it both ways tab and no tab to enter the password. I have the BSD subsystem installed.

edit: Does the disk image have to be 650 megs? I think it could also be that I created 2 smaller disk images of 500 megs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Salazar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 04:37 PM

Hi, I was wondering if you could describe how you made the bootable DiskWarrior 3.0 CD? I tried using BootCD, but it created a disk image with no additional space for the DiskWarrior application. Do I copy the disk image to the CD-RW first and then the application? I am relatively inexperienced with DiskCopy and the like.

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules