Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook w/ possible hardware problem?

Powerbook w/ possible hardware problem?
Salazar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 04:45 PM

My friend has a Powerbook 1400c, running 8.1, with 40 mb of RAM and a PowerPC 603e 133 mhz processor. Recently, both his floppy drive (internal) and his Powerbook battery have been acting funny.

Occasionally, the Finder will show the battery as absent (with the battery icon with an X through it). The battery is still inserted. Then, it will suddenly recognize it.

When we insert a floppy disk into the drive, an error message pops up saying the Disk needs to be initialized. This is bogus, since I've tested the disk on other machines with no problem. If I do try and initial the disk, another error message pops up saying that the initialization failed. I've even tried putting in factory disks and the same message pops up.

So.....thoughts? Is this a hardware problem? My friend is homeless, so the machine isn't that protected. And the computer is old to start with. Or is it software? Should I try and reinstall system software?

Thanks,
Sal

Forum Links
Forum Rules