Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will Radeon 8500 Mac Edition support 20" Apple Cinema Display?

Will Radeon 8500 Mac Edition support 20" Apple Cinema Display?
coitus
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 01:01 PM

Okay, I've been trolling the boards trying to find someone who has the answer to my above question but haven't. I have read that the Radeon 8500 will support the 17" Apple Flat-Panel Display but I want to know if anyone has tried the 20" display with it.

My rig.

G4 450 DP (with 2x AGP support)
Radeon 8500 Mac Edition
1.38 GB of RAM

I plan on buying a G5 once they put out the second revisions but wanted to get the 20" Apple Cinema Display prior to that for use with my current system. I am aware that I will need a DVI-to-ADC Adapter but still don't know if the Radeon 8500 can support the 20".

Thanks,

coitus

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

scroll down, it says in the chart that an 8500 with apple's DVI-ADC adapter is compatible with all the apple cinema displays.

tr

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2003, 03:30 PM

I was under the impression that as long as you've got ADC and a Mac, any Apple display will work.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

tr,

Thanks for the reply...what doesn't make sense to me is that it doesn't show the Radeon 8500 as supported when you look at the actual specs of the 20" Apple Cinema Display.

What gives?

====

System requirements

-The Apple Cinema Display requires Mac OS X v10.2 or later, and one of the following systems:

-Power Mac G4 with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Titanium graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro, or 9700 Pro graphics card.

====

Thanks,

coitus

Forum Links
Forum Rules