Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac Studio TVR & 10.3

Formac Studio TVR & 10.3
coitus
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 02:00 AM

Has anyone been able to get their Formac Studio TVR to function properly under OS X 10.3?

I have had the Studio TVR for a while but have never had it up and running. I just installed OS X 10.3 and made the time to test the TVR. Well, it appears to have recorded 1.5 hours of gibberish. Virtually no audio...a few bleeps and a report of dropping frames.

If anyone can post a positive Formac experience and is willing to help me out. I would appreciate it.

coitus

Volanges
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 04:23 AM

Formac posted an update TVR 3.04 on 10/24 for Panther on their website; you have to be registered first to access it though.

Otherwise it would help if you listed what type of Apple you are using with your TVR.
( Last edited by Volanges; Nov 14, 2003 at 04:30 AM. )

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Volanges:
Formac posted an update TVR 3.04 on 10/24 for Panther on their website; you have to be registered first to access it though.
I have downloaded and installed the latest software updated but it doesn't matter. Here are more details on my present situation. I've emailed Formac directly but have yet to receive a response (surprise, surprise).

My system:

G4 450 DP, 1.38 GB RAM, 160 GB mirrored ACard Hardware Raid drives with 90 GB free, running MacOS X 10.3.1, Studio TVR 3.0.4.

I can't get the damn Studio TVR software (version 3.0.4) to run reliably. If I attempt to record an hour program via TitanTV's scheduler it will always quit between minutes 38 and 39. It has successfully recorded a few 30-minute shows, but if I attempt one-touch recording it will always stop and come up with a Save As dialog box. Typically, it will quit in the first two-mintues, around 5-minutes or between minutes 38 & 39. My test recordings have involved no other applications running, only my iPod plugged-in to the other firewire port, and over 90 GB of free space.

I am recording using the Quicktime rather than DV option. I am recording from normal coaxial cable input. Not sure what other information is relevant.

Thanks,

coitus

Volanges
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 07:01 PM

I'll assume you either have a new-ish unit and/or shelled out for the upgrade program to EPROM 1.07 at the beginning of the year.

If not, then I have read someone's review on versiontracker that this new 3.04 software won't work well with Panter, and you should go back and download 2.x that supposedly is still on Formac's website.

Otherwise, and don't go ballistic, I happened to notice when they went to the 3.0 numbers on the software that they now recomment a min. of 800mhz so I don't know how your 450 would be effecting this.

Also, I saw on another board someone remark that they'd experience problems in the last week or so getting through on the phone or by email to Formac. Sometimes they have been surprisingly fast with me and other times not. In the past when an actual person with dedicated email replied I just always emailed them directly with questions and it was faster than the "[email protected]" or whatever that one is.

Sorry if I'm not more help.

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 01:30 PM

Otherwise, and don't go ballistic, I happened to notice when they went to the 3.0 numbers on the software that they now recomment a min. of 800mhz so I don't know how your 450 would be effecting this.
I failed to mention that I have an AGP Radeon 8500 with 64 MB of RAM. I was under the impression the graphics card was the most important component. As for the 800 MHz requirement, I actually hadn't read that but do know I've tested in on my G4 800 MHz TiBook and it is completely unusable.

Overall, like so many others I am so very disappointed in Formac. Their products simply do not perform as advertised and their tech support is horribly sub-par. I will never again purchase a Formac product and will probably put my Studio TVR and Devideon up for sale on eBay before too long. I have never had an electronics purchase go so horribly wrong.

If anyone has been able to get good results out of the newest Studio TVR, please post what (if anything) you did special to achieve them. I've tried the older version of their software but it won't even run on my system. Go figure...

coitus

Volanges
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 03:58 PM

If even the OLD version of TVR software has NEVER worked on either of your Macs why in the world did you just not return it? Your hardware is obviously defective.

Mine has worked fine with all software upgrades.

I'm assuming that the window for returning the unit as defective for a replacement has passed? If it makes you feel any better I have noticed that the unit sells fairly well on eBay, though as the price at the retail level has recently dropped if I were you I would post the item before people catch on.

I hope you find another product that works better for you.

jedimstr
Nov 25, 2003, 04:04 PM

My TVR works fine with the latest firmware and software from Formac on Panther... my Cube's specs are a bit higher though:

Cube with 1Ghz PowerLogix upgrade
1.5GB RAM
ATI 7500 32MB (I know, I know, but it was the best I could get that would fit in a cube and still allow dual screens).
120GB Western Digital Harddrive

So far no problems scheduling and recording shows in DV format onto a firewire LaCie external drive. I even record Must See TV on Thursday nights on NBC (3 hours including ER) without a problem using TitanTV's single click (then modifying the times of course).

You may want to try recording in native DV format and leave the preferences for video and audio in Formac's software on the default DV settings. That would also make it easier to edit your recordings in iMovie, Final Cut, and/or DVD Studio Pro2.

Also try setting playback and display to "normal" or "low quality" playback... or try a fresh install of Panther (could be longterm deritus and junk from tons of old installs and apps interfering). Also try another Firewire cable directly connected to your Mac... you wouldn't believe the problems a bum firewire cable could cause.
( Last edited by jedimstr; Nov 25, 2003 at 04:10 PM. )

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by jedimstr:
I even record Must See TV on Thursday nights on NBC (3 hours including ER) without a problem using TitanTV's single click (then modifying the times of course).

You may want to try recording in native DV format and leave the preferences for video and audio in Formac's software on the default DV settings.

Also try setting playback and display to "normal" or "low quality" playback... or try a fresh install of Panther (could be longterm deritus and junk from tons of old installs and apps interfering). Also try another Firewire cable directly connected to your Mac... you wouldn't believe the problems a bum firewire cable could cause.
Okay, a few things here...

1) Exactly how are you setting your Titan TV default times following the single-click set. Just making one 7:00 PM - 7:30, then 7:31 PM - 8:00 PM? How is this done without dropping any of the various shows...OR, are you simply making it one large 3-hour time block, such as 7:00 - 10:00?

2) I haven't recorded in DV yet because I am just trying to get some shows recorded to take with me on my TiBook. I only have a 40-GB drive in my TiBook so that excludes much TV recorded in DV format. I haven't even progressed to iMovie or editing or anything yet.

3) I have tried different firewire cables with no change in end result. You mention changing the setting to "normal" or "low" but are you talking the "Preview" option or the actual Recording Settings?

Thanks,
coitus

jedimstr
Nov 26, 2003, 11:45 AM

1) I use the single click from TitanTV on the first show, then adjust the time afterwards for one long block (7:59-10:01pm for instance) I usually add a minute before and after to be safe.

2) Too bad on the hard drive space, because I've found the TVR to be great at DV recording, but iffy when it's set to Quicktime.

3) Preview Settings... the Recording is all handled by the TVR's chip without much CPU use so that should always be at full quality, but the display of the video while recording DOES take up your CPU, so I would definitely suggest lowering the Preview Settings especially if you're not watching while it's recording.

Originally posted by coitus:
Okay, a few things here...

1) Exactly how are you setting your Titan TV default times following the single-click set. Just making one 7:00 PM - 7:30, then 7:31 PM - 8:00 PM? How is this done without dropping any of the various shows...OR, are you simply making it one large 3-hour time block, such as 7:00 - 10:00?

2) I haven't recorded in DV yet because I am just trying to get some shows recorded to take with me on my TiBook. I only have a 40-GB drive in my TiBook so that excludes much TV recorded in DV format. I haven't even progressed to iMovie or editing or anything yet.

3) I have tried different firewire cables with no change in end result. You mention changing the setting to "normal" or "low" but are you talking the "Preview" option or the actual Recording Settings?

Thanks,
coitus

Forum Links
Forum Rules