Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AppleWorks slow as molasses

AppleWorks slow as molasses
Ry�kan
Jan 28, 2005, 03:34 AM

AppleWorks on my daughter's G-4 iBook has slowed to a crawl. It can take about a minute for 10 typed letters to appear in a word-processing document. I trashed the application icon and up-dated to AppleWorks 6.2.9 -- no change. We ran Disk Warrior, fsck, & repaired permissions from an external drive -- no change. Also, AddressBook doesn't open at all.

She's running OS X 10.3.7, I believe; lots of RAM, lots of free HD space.

Anyone have any ideas?

--Thanks

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 10:26 AM

Yes -- this happened to me quite some time ago. There are two problems. Unfortunately, I can only remember one of the solutions! She undoubtedly has a preference checked (it's on by default, I believe) about how many files to remember under "recent items." This will be under general preferences, for handling of files.

If too many of those recent items accumulate, AppleWorkds slows an an almost unusable state, which is where you are. You have to go in, change the preference, and then find all those files and delete them. They're all aliases. They're probably in the Apple Works folder in your applications folder. If not, do a search, based on a recent document.

I'm sorry I can't be more definitively helpful, but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction. Having the "show actual font" option checked can also slow things down, but I do have that one in use anyway.

Also -- do a search on this forum. The subject has been covered -- I'd say a couple years ago for sure. And I know Apple has a document on its support site as well.

I will try looking around, too, to see if I can find the helpful links.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 10:39 AM

OK, found the link. Here it is: slow appleworks

This is from the Apple web site. In case the link didn't work, go to the "support" section, click on AppleWorks, and it's the first link. And after you clear the recent items, you might want to uncheck the box about how many to save, in preferences.

Good luck.

Ry�kan  (op)
Jan 28, 2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks so much. We'll give it a try.

--Ry�kan

Ry�kan  (op)
Jan 28, 2005, 11:43 AM

That did it for AppleWorks -- amazing. Thanks so much for your help.

Address book is still squirrely -- won't open; spinning beachball. But I guess it's a separate problem.

Thanks for the tip.

--Ry�kan

Forum Links
Forum Rules