Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Kernel Panics/Freezes: Heat?

MBP Kernel Panics/Freezes: Heat?
John123
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 12:12 AM

This issue has been obliquely referred to in a few of the threads, but I wanted to bring it up in a very specific light.

I have a MBP 1.83 with 2GB of RAM. I've had a few kernel panics/system freezes since getting the system. Now, I use my computer differently than most folks. I have an app that will run and occupy 100% of both cores for many, many hours at a time. (This is a clustered computing app that runs on many computers at my office...I just jack my laptop in to the network to speed up the run time of jobs.)

As you might expect, maxing out the cores constantly makes for a very, very warm MBP. Since the same thing has happened to my coworker, I wanted to ask others for kernel panic and freezing experiences. What does everyone think? What about heat at a culpit? And perhaps most importantly, what options might I have? It is not frequent at all...but when it happens...well, I'll just say that while OS X finally reminds me of the Snappy of OS 9, now it has a new reason for reminding me of OS 9!!

In full disclosure, my 2GB of memory is not Apple branded. It is, however, the guaranteed Mac-compatible memory from 1-800-4memory. Also, my friend's kernel panics occurred with another kind of RAM, including the Apple 512, so that really should not be the cause of the issue.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 12:25 AM

I've never had a problem running my Pentium M for hours at 100% load and 70-80C... what CPU temp are you seeing?

Also, try to reproduce the panic with only the stock memory installed. Even if it says "Mac compatible" it could be a one-off bug or a shady seller.

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I've never had a problem running my Pentium M for hours at 100% load and 70-80C... what CPU temp are you seeing?

Also, try to reproduce the panic with only the stock memory installed. Even if it says "Mac compatible" it could be a one-off bug or a shady seller.
I haven't found a utility to measure temp on the new MBPs.

Like I mentioned, my buddy has tried it with Apple RAM and had the same issue. 18004memory isn't a shady seller...
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by John123
I haven't found a utility to measure temp on the new MBPs.
D'oh, I was just talking about that in another thread.
Can you put Linux or Windows on it and run the distributed computing app so you can check temps?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 01:57 AM

you would not happen to have flip 4 mac? i had kernel panics till i did a full uninstall
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
you would not happen to have flip 4 mac? i had kernel panics till i did a full uninstall
No, I don't..
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
D'oh, I was just talking about that in another thread.
Can you put Linux or Windows on it and run the distributed computing app so you can check temps?
I have Windows on it, but the Windows version isn't as intelligently multi-threaded as it should be, so it wouldn't max out both cores. I'm not terrible inclined to throw Linux on given the time involved....I can just tell you that it's way hotter when maxing out both cores than when not.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by John123
No, I don't..
well i spoke 2 soon because the kernel panics have returned, i have taken to taking high res. photos of the panics when they happen, 5 today 2 photographed
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Forum Links
Forum Rules