Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stuck screw :(

Stuck screw :(
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 08:26 AM

So I did a little investigating of my mbp to see if i can fix my warping problem w/ the laptop when I screwed a screw inside the wrong hole (no sexual images plz ) and now it won't come back out.

Basically, i placed one of the screws inside the dvi screw hole slot. Because of the dept of the hole, the screw won't self screw itself out, neither is too loose enough to fall out.

Does anyone have bright ideas as to getting it out w/o damaging my mbp? I thought about sticking a concentrated magnet to get it out (when mbp is off, of course). Other than that, I'm out of ideas, any help is greatly appreciated

kick52
Baninated
May 20, 2006, 08:39 AM

the magnet might screw up the hd. have you tried a vacum or tried shaking it about?

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 08:46 AM

I believe the hd is located on the lower left corner. the screw is stuck at where the dvi output is, one of those holes.

the screw is not per se stuck stuck or loose inside a big area. the screw fits the hole just right like all others on the mbp. but i can poke it w/ my small screwdrivers and all, but given limited space, movement is limited except for coming out directly.

a vaccum might do the trick, i'll have to try it later, not to mention having to dig it back out if it does work.

maybe i'll just bring it to an Apple store and see if they can do anything about it. I'll just tell them my brother was an idiot for fcuking this **** up

amazing
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 11:33 AM

Don't take to an Apple Store. You don't want them adding permanent notes to the MBP service file, something most Geniuses probably wouldn't do, but you never know.

Use small tweezers, a screwdriver with a magnetic tip, or small knifepoint, to start backing it out.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 01:56 PM

Vigorous shaking and yelling usually works.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

The Milkman
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 01:56 PM

Try putting some superglue on the tip of the screwdriver.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 01:58 PM

or some putty.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:11 PM

what about very small tweazers?

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Milkman
Try putting some superglue on the tip of the screwdriver.

I agree.... used this trick many times even on stripped screw heads!

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 08:52 PM

The screw is somewhat lodged in there, but very twistable. But seems like something i just holding it in.

Superglue had very limited sucess Tried a putty knife, etc etc. I think i'm going to stick it next to a magnet and get it out. If not, maybe an impact driver will do the trick. Too bad the screws are so small ><

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 09:54 PM

Break a toothpick in half.
Dip broken end into nail-polish.
Insert into screw.
Let sit until dry.
Carefully remove toothpick with attached screw.
Once removed, clean screw with nail-polish remover.

(Note: Nail-polish must match your lipstick.)

hickey
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 12:14 AM

very true Sourbook, never use nailpolish that doest match the lipstick. HUGE FAUX PAS!

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 11:31 PM

Update:

I finally brought into the Genius bar (had to wait an hr plus) and they had to remove the mobo in order to get it out, but they did it in about 10 mins. Those guys must of taken apart a mbp a million times hehehe. But i'm glad they got it fixed, but i'm scared they might of logged my serial # or voided my warranty. I shoulda asked, lol.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 12:20 AM

I did the exact same thing to my old MBP, as it turns out. I took it to a CompUSA for a hard drive installation the same day, and the dude there actually got the screw FURTHER in the DVI hole in trying to get it out. UGH! I was pretty pissed until I noticed that they had scratched the hell out of the lid during the installation. So, fortunately, the manager on duty made it right and pulled a new MBP out of stock. The whole ordeal took hours and hours, but it was nice not to have that headache.

I don't know why Apple designed it that way. It's dumb. It fits right in that DVI hole and will *NOT* come out, no matter what. The fellow there told me the exact same thing -- a complete disassembly would be required. It's such an easy mistake to make, too.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 12:34 AM

No way they removed the motherboard (or as Apple calls it, Logic Board) in 10 minutes, or even close to that. Most Apple stores do not even do laptops in house (rarely). They POSSIBLY removed the top case (trackpad and keyboard layer), but if they told you they removed the motherboard, they're lying.

BTW, if they didn't make you sign a piece of paper, no notes were probably made.

ibook_steve
Jun 1, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by John123
I don't know why Apple designed it that way. It's dumb. It fits right in that DVI hole and will *NOT* come out, no matter what. The fellow there told me the exact same thing -- a complete disassembly would be required. It's such an easy mistake to make, too.

This is a bizarre statement. This has nothing to do with Apple design. DVI is a port with two screw holes on the side to hold in the cable, the same as VGA. It's a standard. Why anyone would be putting screws in there is beyond me. If you're going to perform surgery on your brand new machine to try to fix something yourself, it's usually best to keep really good track of screws and where they go and/or use the ifixit guides.

Steve

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
This is a bizarre statement. This has nothing to do with Apple design. DVI is a port with two screw holes on the side to hold in the cable, the same as VGA. It's a standard. Why anyone would be putting screws in there is beyond me. If you're going to perform surgery on your brand new machine to try to fix something yourself, it's usually best to keep really good track of screws and where they go and/or use the ifixit guides.

Steve
I'm glad you find it "bizarre." They could have selected the other Phillips screws that were a little larger or a little smaller. The problem -- and something you would have understood had you read the entire thread carefully -- is that the exact size of the screw combined with the nature of the holes for the DVI pins makes it just about impossible to get a screw out.

Since you're being snotty about it, I'll note that I actually used the iFixit guides when removing my screws. It's a pretty simple and easy mistake to make. It also ought to be a simple and easy mistake to fix -- not something that requires massive disassembly to undo. The trials and tribulations described by the original poster shed some light on just how damn hard it is to get the screw out after it has gone even slightly into that hole, even without any turning whatsoever.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen
No way they removed the motherboard (or as Apple calls it, Logic Board) in 10 minutes, or even close to that. Most Apple stores do not even do laptops in house (rarely). They POSSIBLY removed the top case (trackpad and keyboard layer), but if they told you they removed the motherboard, they're lying.

BTW, if they didn't make you sign a piece of paper, no notes were probably made.
Ok, maybe 15 mins, but definitely no longer than 20 mins. I actually had the top panel removed and there is no room or way to get the screw out, you'll know if you checked. But I don't have a reason why the Genius would lie about it lol.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 03:45 AM

well, they don't have a reason to lie, but it happens.

for work like that, they require paperwork to be made and signed... plus, if they removed the logic board, they would have to re-apply the thermal paste and go through a lot more parts to get to it. A logic baord replacement would definately take 45 min if it's quick...

BTW, I'm surprised they even touched it if you have the top case off... they're supposed to hand it right back to you and say they can't touch it. Basically, at that point you've voided the warranty (not because of the screw, but because you took the computer apart) and they can't be responsible for what you may have done.

You're fortunate... must have been a REAL SLOW day for them...

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2006, 03:58 AM

I actually did not have my top panel come off, I was simply re-tightening the screws (had them all out then re-inserted). I did this because the screws were not tight to begin with, thus I had fitment issues (which my mbp came with) where the top panel met the beige plastic rim. Though I do know removing the panel could technically void the warranty.

But you could be right that they somehow did get the screw out w/o removing my circuit board and re-applying the thermal because my temp at idle/load hasn't changed.

Who knows what they did, I was actually looking for a very magnetic screwdriver type device to remove my screw, but just didn't take the time to find one in Sears and took a chance at the Apple store instead.

It's all good, i'm happy they fixed it and everything seems to be working fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules