Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook pro 17 inch Glossy ??

Macbook pro 17 inch Glossy ??
drlaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 12:43 PM

Anyone have one yet. Thinking about ordering one. How does the screen look. If you had it to do over again, would you order the glossy screen ?

Burn
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 02:09 PM

Yes. Do it (there is a lot of reading out there regardiong earlier 'book problems. But mine is flawless.)

Last week I received my MBP, glossy screen, 7200rpm hd... I would suggest the glossy screen for sure. It will show reflections of any light sources if they're located directly behind you... but other than that.. it is gorgeous. Unlike a curved or even the more modern 'flat' crt (glassfront) displays, the lcd has no curve to it, so it doesn't catch as much glare as a conventional tv/monitor.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Burn
Yes. Do it (there is a lot of reading out there regardiong earlier 'book problems. But mine is flawless.)

Last week I received my MBP, glossy screen, 7200rpm hd... I would suggest the glossy screen for sure. It will show reflections of any light sources if they're located directly behind you... but other than that.. it is gorgeous. Unlike a curved or even the more modern 'flat' crt (glassfront) displays, the lcd has no curve to it, so it doesn't catch as much glare as a conventional tv/monitor.
Dude you´re comparing apples with pears. You have to judge side by side with a Powerbook/MBP with a matte screen.

I did see a MB in person and i pray Apple will give us the option to choose either matte or glossy for the Pro books

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 03:40 PM

i thought they did?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 03:48 PM

Go for the glossy! I have a 15" glossy, and my friend here at work as a 15" matte. She looked at my glossy, and then exclaimed that she hated me.

Reflections are nowhere near as bad as people who haven't used them think -- I have fluorescent lights almost directly reflected in the screen, and it doesn't bother me at all. The contrast and brightness (and colours) are SO much richer on the glossy.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 04:00 PM

When you buy a laptop, you're stuck with the screen for as long as you keep your laptops. That means you should definitely go to an Apple Store and compare glossy and matte side by side, because it's your eyes and your preferences that are gonna dictate your satisfaction. There's no shortcuts because you yourself have to see them in person.

Personally, I'd never go for glossy, because I've seen the glossy screens and I know that I, myself, would hate all the reflections. Many people can manage to ignore them, so it's an individual preference.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i thought they did?
I mean in the nearer future.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

fesdds
Jun 24, 2006, 08:21 PM

I've got a Macbook and think the glossy screen is great. True, every so often I will have to adjust if the lighting changes, but that is rare.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
When you buy a laptop, you're stuck with the screen for as long as you keep your laptops. That means you should definitely go to an Apple Store and compare glossy and matte side by side, because it's your eyes and your preferences that are gonna dictate your satisfaction. There's no shortcuts because you yourself have to see them in person.

Personally, I'd never go for glossy, because I've seen the glossy screens and I know that I, myself, would hate all the reflections. Many people can manage to ignore them, so it's an individual preference.
Ditto here.

Neub Detat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 04:56 AM

you can always buy one of those glossy films.
If you hate it, just peel it off, if not, tada!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 11:35 AM

I yesterday put a MB, a MBP matte and a MBP glossy side by side and I have to say that the MBP glossy is the most beautiful screen I have ever seen. The worst was the MBP matte screen, the MB's screen was a lot better and the MBP glossy topped it all. It's viewing angle is über-good and the colors are just brilliant. I vote for the glossy option.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 12:57 PM

In my situation, I much prefer the matte screen. My MBP, for now, is used either in my room, or in the lab, both of which have many light sources. The matte screen simply appears clean, other than the few smudges I put on it. I have played with the glossy before, and it is beautiful and vivid. There isn't anything more pretty than a MB in a CompUSA. However, with my very LARGE screen size (17in), the massive reflections would distract me and detract from my computing experience.

If it were a 15in, I'd say it's a toss-up. Being a 17in you want, I'd seriously consider matte. The best advice in this thread, however, was posted by amazing. The ONLY reason I know my preference is because I have seen both in person at multiple stores.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I yesterday put a MB, a MBP matte and a MBP glossy side by side and I have to say that the MBP glossy is the most beautiful screen I have ever seen. The worst was the MBP matte screen, the MB's screen was a lot better and the MBP glossy topped it all. It's viewing angle is über-good and the colors are just brilliant. I vote for the glossy option.
A-men.

I was out in the field by Killarney Community Centre in Vancouver with my girlfriend and her friend yesterday, and I was showing off my MBP to the girl (who's a closet Mac-lover). My girlfriend whipped out her camera and started taking pictures, and I thought they did a good job of showing off the capabilities of the glossy screen even in daylight.

Here is a shot from an extreme angle showing its reflectiveness, and the level of light (the Sun was in the process of setting). Don't ogle too much at the boob, it's only 16 years old.

A bit of a less extreme angle (notice how reflectivity is a non-issue?).

And finally from almost straight-on. In person it looks even brighter than this.

Generally, the glossy screen is God. My iBook G4 was *COMPLETELY* useless outside, no matter what level of light. The matte screen diffuses both the incoming and outgoing light, and it makes things look like ass. The glossy screen is so usable and bright, even during mid-day, that I have no idea why anyone would opt for the matte.
( Last edited by Tomchu; Nov 5, 2006 at 07:13 PM. )

Burn
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
Dude you´re comparing apples with pears. You have to judge side by side with a Powerbook/MBP with a matte screen.

I did see a MB in person and i pray Apple will give us the option to choose either matte or glossy for the Pro books
Dude, do you think I'd purchase a $3000 (CDN) computer without seeing it in real life first?

Of course I have compared them.. This isn't my first computer. Along with my 22+ years of computer experience and years of laptop ownership, I stand by my review. I remember Sony laptops getting these screens a few years ago... and was quuuite impressed. I am glad we have them now also. As was already mentioned, I believe the option is there for MB's as well.

This isn't new technology guys... just new for Apple machines. It's a personal pref though. Go look for yourself. It's a free option so get what you want. The main things I notice, Blacks are richer.. certain things feel crisper. Hard to explain, but the verbiage Apple uses is pretty much correct.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 07:34 PM

I replaced my 12" powerbook, with a new 17" glossy mac book. I didn't know what to think, as just seeing them at the apple store doesn't really give you the full experience. I have since used the glossy macbook at the office, outdoors, in dark areas, in light, etc. It is simply amazing. I can't stand looking at other screens now. Even my 20" Alu Cinema Display looks a little... foggy... when its next to the macbook! I would get it... hands down.
yep.

Jason
Jun 26, 2006, 12:56 PM

Personally i've had no problems with the glossy screen, although to be frank, my limited time with a macbook with a glossy screen was also quite interesting. When looking at the macbook's in the Apple store, i was able to pick up a fair amount of reflection, although when i was using my friends one which was at night time, i didnt see any reflections what so ever, thus proving the point that obviously, if you are in a highly lit area, you are going to be in for a hell of a time with the reflections, and of course, if you are in a nice dark area or area with medium lighting, you will have no problems at all.

So if your house is pretty much lit like a christmas tree during the day time, maybe the matte screen might be the way to go! I know it is for me. Also i'm going with the matte screen because im a graphic designer, and having a colour show up on the monitor as close to what it is going to look like when the job is printed is very important.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

lizardgator
Jun 26, 2006, 01:04 PM

It's funny, I've always read that glossy displays are terrible outdoors and in sunlight but from my experience the glossy screens are way better outdoors than matte screens. I had a 1.67GHz 15" Powerbook and the display on my patio was useless. My wife has an HP laptop with a glossy screen and it is way better than the Powerbooks matte display was.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:35 PM

I bought a refurb 15" MBP to replace my aging 12" PB when the MB's didn't come out in time. My wimpy 1.83 matte screen was great for the price, but if I'd have paid full price I would have gone with the glossy. I really don't like the matte screen outdoors, which is where I use the machine about a third of the time. I low light the matte is great, in direct sunlight, glossy is the only way to go.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
if you are in a highly lit area, you are going to be in for a hell of a time with the reflections
I beg to differ.

[Pictures deleted ages ago, sorry]

The coating is very similar to that anti-glare stuff they put on glasses. Whatever reflects off the screen absorbs that purplish/pale colour, making it barely noticeable. Due to the way your eyes focus, if you're focussing on the screen, the reflection becomes barely noticeable. If you re-adjust your eyes to focus on the source of light that is being reflected in the screen (farther focal point), then obviously it's quite visible.
( Last edited by Tomchu; Mar 8, 2007 at 04:05 PM. )

pearle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 10:16 AM

Will the GretagMacbeth EyeOne Display 2 calibrate the glossy screens?

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
I beg to differ.

A picture of my corner of my lab at work -- it's pretty well lit considering the size of the room:
[i]http://tomchu.com/pub/ref1.jpg[/img]

And the effect this lighting has on my MBP's glossy screen:
If you can tolerate THAT reflections, well, way to go. I call such a screen almost completely useless

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 08:07 PM

hey, new here... joined to ask a question, have been reading for a while, great site!

anyways, as everyone has said, it's all personal preference. I personally cannot stand to get a reflection, or spot caused by a bright light on my Matte MacBook Pro screen, I have to change positions if there is a lamp or something shining down on me. So I would personally go into a deep depression and probably kill myself if I paid 3000 for a glossy screen (my friend has a glossy Macbook..I like the look, but hate useing it.)

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 08:44 PM

Hey all,

I'm new here as well but a seasoned veteran over at Spymac, but decided it was time for a change. So here I am!

Anyways, I went to the Apple Store in The Woodlands and compared both the MacBook glossy with the MacBook Pro matte. Unfortunately, they told me they won't ever get a MBP glossy to show. So I had to compare two different computers, which was hard. I really don't know which way to go. While I have no lighting issues at home, I will also be using this notebook often in school and at various client locations.

And ultimately, I'm nervous to make the choice because I don't want to make the wrong choice! What do you all suggest?

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 02:18 AM

I was able to take a couple of photos of the 17" MBP glossy and matte side by side today. I have no way to host them, but if you wish I can email them to you: [email protected]

They arent't the best quality (Kodak DX 3700 camera 1.3 megapixel) but they show the following two features that I noted:

1. The matte screen was slightly brighter than the glossy display, both at full brightness.
2. The reflections from the screen from a general office environment are horrible, when not viewed perpendicular to the display.

Based on this I would certainly be inclined to opt for the matte screen, but I guess there is an option for people who want it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by danny_gasperini
I was able to take a couple of photos of the 17" MBP glossy and matte side by side today. I have no way to host them, but if you wish I can email them to you...
Danny, you could check out http://imageshack.us

They'll let you host your images for free and you'll be able to put thumbnails linking to your images on this board.

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Danny, you could check out http://imageshack.us

They'll let you host your images for free and you'll be able to put thumbnails linking to your images on this board.

Thanks for this. After clicking around a few hundred links, I finally managed to host them, but only in 320x240 (perhaps because it's a demo account).

Anyway here are the links:

http://www.imagehostplus.com/sp/usr/1619/DCP_0001.jpg
http://www.imagehostplus.com/sp/usr/1619/DCP_0002.jpg
http://www.imagehostplus.com/sp/usr/1619/DCP_0003.jpg

MacBook Pro Matte on left, MacBook Pro Gloss on right

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks for this. After clicking around a few hundred links, I finally managed to host them, but only in 320x240 (perhaps because it's a demo account).

Hey Danny, those links all don't work...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2006, 02:29 PM

Dead links.

I was at my local Apple store yesterday and they had a glossy 15" and a matte 15" side by side. While the glossy certainly did look much more vivid and contrasty, I think I prefer the matte screen my machine has (which is good, since the glossy screen wasn't an option when I bought mine). I'm in too many different lighting situations to be able to control the amount of glare coming off the screen. If I always knew where I'd be using it, I'd choose the glossy. But for me, I think the matte works best. Besides, its not like the matte screens plain suck - they're very, very good, too.

Can't go wrong with either, really.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 07:08 PM

Here you all go. Thanks to Danny for sending them to me:

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 01:26 AM

I just helped my sister, now a switcher, set up her macbook.

When I put her brand new macbook next to my MBP 15" matte, I instantly realized the difference -- for pictures and other image viewing, the glare was not so bad. And the colors were vibrant.

But if you wanted/needed to read text, the matte screen was clearly the way to go.

I use my MBP for so much text work, there is no way a glossy screen would serve my needs. But if you use your laptop for viewing DVDs, occasional web surfing, etc., then the glossy screen is probably better for you.

This is one case where even examining the machines in an Apple Store will not help -- the lighting there is designed to show off the screens -- i.e. I would expect the Apple Store to put glossy screen macs where reflections would be minimal.

Anyway, just MHO. As usual, YMMV.

bernt
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SEkker
But if you wanted/needed to read text, the matte screen was clearly the way to go.
What's the problem with reading text on the glossy screen? I have a 15" MBP glossy, and the text seems no worse than the 17" iMac G5 iSight sitting next to it.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 11:31 PM

Alright. Here is a more definitive answer from the Apple Store's manager I spoke to. Essentially what he said (not directly quoted):

We attempt to provide all customers with a notebook that suits them. We strive to discover what they'll be using it primarily for and in what environment. We generally recommend, unless the customer is adamant about purchasing the glossy, to purchase the matte instead. Unfortunately, we've heard since the release of the glossy screens many complaints about glare issues. Apple in California has suggested that we recommend the matte displays for all customers who are not positive of their decision.

---

Just hope that'd clear things up. And as a result of that, my MBP will have a matte screen.

Hope this helps,

( Last edited by SpyManiac007; Jul 6, 2006 at 11:25 AM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 10:57 AM

Wow, very surprised that any Apple Store manager would be that candid. Might be worth his job if any muckety-mucks ever hear about it? Not the sort of thing they'd want quoted anywhere, especially with the MBs being available only in glossy...Things that show up on forums sometimes do get quoted as "fact" in the general Mac media, almost guaranteeing a followup.

Meantime, glossy reflections do lead to eye fatigue, which some people may be more susceptible to than others, with younger folks being more likely to disregard it. Eye fatigue is very easy to overlook or, most likely, you'll assign the symptons to other causes, such as the beer you drank, or staying up too late and getting too little sleep. All these things do contribute, naturally, but the glossy screen will keep on giving you eye fatigue if you tend to do most of your computing in highly reflective environments.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 11:18 AM

this isnt to do with the glossy of the MBPs, but it is gloss related. have any of you noticed how there are more refurb. cinema displays available via the apple store than usual? does anyone else think that apple would make the cinema display have a glossy finish option?

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 11:26 AM

Wow, very surprised that any Apple Store manager would be that candid. Might be worth his job if any muckety-mucks ever hear about it? Not the sort of thing they'd want quoted anywhere, especially with the MBs being available only in glossy...Things that show up on forums sometimes do get quoted as "fact" in the general Mac media, almost guaranteeing a followup.
Well, I edited my post now taking out where the store is. The manager is a friend of mine, so that could be the reason he was more open.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

The glossy screen of my MacBook was definitely something I feared after years of using matte screens on my Macs. I was certain the screen would be a probem in the very very bright conditions we use in our operating rooms. A room typically has 60 to 70 bright fluorescent tubes + the overhead surgical lights. It's a much brighter lit environment than most homes or offices. So, I assumed the glossy screen would be a reflection nightmare.

I was wrong. The glossy screen actually shows material with better contrast and deep colors. In comparison, my Powerbook's matte screen (at equal backlighting intensity) looks rather clouded or washed out in comparison. I expected the matte to look better, but in actual practice and in this brightly lit environment, the glossy is actually the better performer.

BTW, all my machines are calibrated to D65 with a gamma of 2.5 using GretagMacbeths Eye One system so they match each other as best as possible.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 12:29 PM

About the matte laptop screens looking washed out: Unless you're doing color sensitive mission critical stuff, just set your color profile to any SRGB profile. You'll get deeper colors and better contrast--and yes, you won't get accurate colors.

But: It'll be easier on your eyes.

And there's no disputing that the new MB and MBP screens are much, much brighter, which makes them show up better in bright conditions. Comparing them to AlPB previous generations is like comparing Apples to oranges. You have to compare matte and glossy on the same MBP models.

What concerns me is the cumulative effects of eye fatigue...

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 12:15 PM

What concerns me is the cumulative effects of eye fatigue...
Doesn't concern me at all. The newest computer monitors are the highest standard ever.. they continually evolve and I'd suspect worrying about eye fatigue in this case is carrying over problems from the past. People have been working on CRT monitors from single colour Orange/Green to Billion colour cinema screens for over 20 years, irradiating us with a phosphor glow and yes, of course... staring at ANY computer/tv/electronic display of any type over extended periods of time is going to cause eye fatigue. That's why everyone suggests looking away from your monitor every 15 minutes... focusing on a distant object >15' away.... This screen technology (which has been around for years already on other machines) is NOT going to push this problem any further.

I can see why the manager at the Apple store would say that... computer buyers are a somewhat naive and crazy bunch of people (being one of them myself)... don't get me wrong.. we all do our research, but a lot of people go into the store with NO knowledge and may love what they see in the store, which may contrast their at home or work experience... because they didn;t have that foresight. So. Save us the hassle, go with what most people have. Sounds like when people recommend PC's to people.

The comparisons are all around.. this is a great thread.. but really.. comes down to what you prefer. Just like between CRT and LCD, each has their strengths/weaknesses.. consider closely and choose wisely.

wfolta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 02:05 AM

I've used Macs sine the SE and have had several Mac laptops over the years. I was skeptical of the glossy screen at first, but then some reviews persuaded me to order a 17" MBP with glossy screen.

I LOVE it! It is WAY more saturated and "deep" than a matte display. Reflections are really only a problem if you have a bunch of bright, high-contrast lights at almost every conceivable agle. Otherwise, shift the screen a couple of degrees and you'll usually find an angle where there's no hard reflection or where the reflection is so uniform that it's not really distracting unless you concentrate on it.

I'd agree: if you're timid and if matter has always done you well and you want to play it safe, stay matte. But my opinion is that matte is inferior in 95% of all conditions and uses.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how far off video editing will be, since glossy will no doubt over-emphasize contrast and saturation. On the other hand, that's why a REAL editor will have an external NTSC monitor to check the video, not depending on a computer screen nor a VCR/Camcorder's LCD screen.

wfolta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by SpyManiac007
Here you all go. Thanks to Danny for sending them to me:
Thanks for the photos, but they're terribly misleading. The way-off-angle photos overemphasize the reflectivity, while the on-axis photos -- which do show there's essentially no difference in reflectivity -- don't show the enormous difference in contrast and saturation. (Probably can't show that enhanced contrast, saturation, sharpness in a photo, really.)

People talk about eye strain from reflections. Perhaps. But there's a palpable feeling of relief when you look at the glossy display as well. You literally feel like it's a window and what's behind it is real, not just something painted onto the back of the glass. There's a depth and clarity to the display that matte just blurs.

eightball0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 02:18 AM

I had a 17" PowerBook, and I upgraded to a 17" Glossy MBP. I love the display. The colors are more defined--and I feel like there's a wider gamut on the darker end of the scale. The glare isn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be. My desk at work is in front of a very large window, with the MBP screen directly receiving light from the window. I very rarely notice the glare on the MBP, but I notice it all the time on the CRT sitting on my desk.

Of course, I checked out the displays at the Apple Store first, and I recommend anyone considering the glossy display do the same before purchasing it. I am very happy that I picked the glossy display.

skucera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 03:08 AM

I have an original 17" PB, and realizing that this is somewhat old display technology, my laptop is completely useless outside. Period. Unless it's night time. I realize that the brightness and contrast have improved leaps and bounds in the past 3 years, but I really can't see why I would buy another PB/MBP with a matte screen.

By the way, has anyone taken a matte and glossy screen into broad daylight to see how they compare? I just am looking for usability in full-sun conditions in real life, not just in theory. Because in theory, my PB should be okay outside... but it sucks.

jreades
Jul 8, 2006, 03:52 AM

I notice that no-one has talked about design issues with a glossy screen -- I would *expect* that print and web designers would stick to matte, but am kind of curious if that's the case. I have a calibrated display for use with an Epson R800 and dabble in design... but my 4 year-old TiBook is due for an upgrade and I'm wondering about the tradeoffs.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jreades
I notice that no-one has talked about design issues with a glossy screen -- I would *expect* that print and web designers would stick to matte, but am kind of curious if that's the case. I have a calibrated display for use with an Epson R800 and dabble in design... but my 4 year-old TiBook is due for an upgrade and I'm wondering about the tradeoffs.
Well I am a web designer and haven't decided which way to go. I'm stuck in the middle. Unfortunately, when I'd show a client their site at a meeting with them on mine, it will be all vibrant and alive. When they'd view it at their office when it goes live, I'd be getting a phone call saying why doesn't it look as good as what you showed? I dunno. I'm stuck!

jreades
Jul 10, 2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by SpyManiac007
Unfortunately, when I'd show a client their site at a meeting with them on mine, it will be all vibrant and alive. When they'd view it at their office when it goes live, I'd be getting a phone call saying why doesn't it look as good as what you showed? 007
That's part of my worry too, although glossy screens are becoming more common, they certainly aren't yet widespread. I guess an external (non-glossy) monitor could cover this issue to some extent. I usually post a 'dev site' for demoing new work as a way of taking care of the question of how the client sees the site -- I just use their equipment.

I also wonder how easy/hard it is to calibrate it properly for printing to press or a high-quality ink-jet. I suspect that the glossiness would throw off the calibration but no one seems to have written anything about it.

jon

Moose
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by drlaine
If you had it to do over again, would you order the glossy screen ?
Just got mine.

Yes.

lizardgator
Jul 10, 2006, 10:53 AM

I played with a 15" MacBook Pro with the glossy display at an Apple Store on Long Island NY. I was surprised because I was told that Apple Retail Stores would not carry MacBook Pros's with the glossy display but I guess the salesperson was wrong. It was very nice but very glossy, more so than my Sony Vaio laptop.

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 11:36 AM

So, what I want to know is: Given that governement ergonomics recommendations include anti-glare on computer screens (e.g., see http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/manual/ofcsfty.htm)

How long until we see lawsuits either against the manufacturers or employers for job-related injury resulting from long term use of non-anti-glare screens? (Just because you can distinguish an image without anti-glare, doesn't mean you aren't getting eye strain).

armatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by SpyManiac007 View Post
Well I am a web designer and haven't decided which way to go. I'm stuck in the middle. Unfortunately, when I'd show a client their site at a meeting with them on mine, it will be all vibrant and alive. When they'd view it at their office when it goes live, I'd be getting a phone call saying why doesn't it look as good as what you showed? I dunno. I'm stuck!

I have just spoken with a close friend who works at a advertising agency. He says a guy came to work there one day with a brand new glossy screen MBP and apparently it is greatly laudered within their offices.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by jreades View Post
A month ago I was sure I would be buying matte for color accuracy. And if all my design work was done on the laptop screen I still would. However, in reality the laptop display will be used in the field for instances where the extra saturation and contrast of the glossy will probably be a good thing. I doubt if clients will remember contrast nuances of the pre-editing original image in the field. Normally a desktop, or at minimum an attached Cinema Display will be used for any critical color editing anyway.

I am still vacillating, but after time at the Apple store it looks like my 17" MBP will be a glossy.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules