Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.0.4 = More problems. . .?

MacOS 9.0.4 = More problems. . .?
kuzelnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2000, 06:25 AM

After successfully updating to OS 9.0.4 on my iMac DV SE, I found that I can no longer play DVD discs from Europe. I live in Europe and only use Region 2 DVDs, but I have one Region 1 DVD (US version) which works fine. I no longer have the ability to select which region I want (not even for the first 5 times, like it was before) and all I get are errors and crashes when I try to play Region 2 DVDs.

Can someone give me some insight???
The Kuz

mkbhatia
Administrator
Mar 24, 2000, 03:11 PM

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:34:58 -0800 (PST)
To: [email protected]
Subject: OS 9.0.4

Dear macnn,
After many attempts to upgrade to 9.0.4, I finally was able to do
so last night, via the Automatic Update feature. After installing the new
update on my Rev. A iMac, I restarted as instructed. Upon reboot, the
computer first displayed a grey screen, saying "Apple Open Firmware 3.0" I
zapped the PRAM, and rebooted, this time I recieved a "dumping physical
memory" screen, comparable to the "Blue Screen of Death" witnessed on the
Windoze platform. In my horrified state, I attempted to start up with the
OS9 disk, and found that the computer would not recognize the cdrom. Then
I attempted to start from a Norton CDRom, and was succesful. I ran Disk
Doctor, and Disk First Aid, as well as Micromat TechTool 2.0 Pro, and
found no problems. I selected the startup disk, just to be safe, removed
all but the base extentions, and restrted. I got the grey screen of
physical dump doom, again, but this time found that it would recognize
nither the cdrom nor the new MacAlly keyboard. I plugged in the OEM
keyboard, and restarted from Norton Again. I scanned the drive again, with
Disk First Aid, and recieved the error code, -292537x(?). Immediatly
followed by an apple dialogue window saying "Error, No Error" (????) Then,
immediatly the computer froze up, even though it was running from a Norton
Disk. I began to be frantic, and suspected hardware problems. After
tearing apart the computer and checking all conections, which were fine, I
rebooted, only to find the same problems. After running all diagnostic
tools again, I restrted and found the Firmware Screen followed by the
system folder icon with no progress to follow. Later, I found that I could
only start from an OS 8.1 CD, but could never get the system to reboot
from startup drive. I hope no one else has this kind of nightmare, and
from reading other peoples experiance, I would recommend refraining from
updating, until these problems are fixed.
Ben Hemingway

mrl14
Mar 24, 2000, 03:20 PM

I dont' mean to sound rude here or anything but its common sense that if it hasn't been officially released you shouldn't upgrade your machine...especially without backing up. Maybe Apple was in the process of uploading it to their servers and you just some how grabbed it... =(
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

eucci
Mar 24, 2000, 03:21 PM

The official release is supposed to be Monday. Anything gotten before then should be regarded warily.

Fdanna
Mar 24, 2000, 03:22 PM

Yikes! Sounds like Apple is using Europeans for a test bed I wonder if they purposesly leak the upgrade as a trial balloon to see what comes of it.

Fdanna
Mar 24, 2000, 03:28 PM

If Apple didn't intend for this update to be loaded then they shouldn't have allowed the software update server to put it on people's machines. It's not the user's fault, it's completely and totally ...100%... Apple's fault. There is no restriction as to when you can run software update. Many people just run it on a regular basis and the updates come automatically.

Furthermore, there is no warning as to the havoc that these updates can do to your machine or the level of danger. The software update panel is a very convenient tool. The only responsibility that should be on the user is to keep data backed up, not to keep checking a website to see if they have "permission" to run software update on THEIR machines.

Originally posted by eucci:
The official release is supposed to be Monday. Anything gotten before then should be regarded warily.

anonymous
Mar 24, 2000, 04:03 PM

No you're stupid ****s for installing it nonetheless. The updates availability was a mistake, remember this is fairly new software (auto-update).

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by mrl14:
I dont' mean to sound rude here or anything but its common sense that if it hasn't been officially released you shouldn't upgrade your machine...especially without backing up. Maybe Apple was in the process of uploading it to their servers and you just some how grabbed it... =(
If it's showing up in the Software Update control panel, then Apple had better be damned sure it's final. How can you fault someone for applying an update that the OS tells you about? It isn't like he grabbed it of some stealth FTP server or something...

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by anonymous:
No you're stupid ****s for installing it nonetheless. The updates availability was a mistake, remember this is fairly new software (auto-update).
OK, call me stupid if you like, but as far as I'm concerned, if Apple's update server tells me something exists I should only have to apply the same basic level of wariness I usually apply to _any_ new sw update. I should not have to question if Apple is 'testing' the update or if Apple has let it out by mistake.

Anyone applying an update suggested by the Software Update control panel certainly is not a stupid **** (whatever that is). They are mearly using a built-in feature of the OS.

BTW, whoever said Monday was the magic date? Not Apple. I only recall hearing Monday as speculation and rumor.

Darkshadow
Mar 24, 2000, 04:15 PM

Anyone try changing the region setting with ResEdit?

Originally posted by kuzelnik:
After successfully updating to OS 9.0.4 on my iMac DV SE, I found that I can no longer play DVD discs from Europe. I live in Europe and only use Region 2 DVDs, but I have one Region 1 DVD (US version) which works fine. I no longer have the ability to select which region I want (not even for the first 5 times, like it was before) and all I get are errors and crashes when I try to play Region 2 DVDs.

Can someone give me some insight???

Fdanna
Mar 24, 2000, 04:25 PM

It is rumor, but seems to be confirmed by the sources at www.macosrumors.com

Regarding end-user stupidity: I'd really like to know how first time computer users are supposed to be told they're stupid for using a feature which is part of the package they bought into. As far as most people know, "upgrade" is a good word and should cause such disaster. Software upgrades via a web method is hardly anything new and isn't rocket science. Either the update is appropriate or it isn't.

I could fix a lot of problems if I just never used the features...but that's a bit counter productive.

Originally posted by bipto:
OK, call me stupid if you like, but as far as I'm concerned, if Apple's update server tells me something exists I should only have to apply the same basic level of wariness I usually apply to _any_ new sw update. I should not have to question if Apple is 'testing' the update or if Apple has let it out by mistake.

Anyone applying an update suggested by the Software Update control panel certainly is not a stupid **** (whatever that is). They are mearly using a built-in feature of the OS.

BTW, whoever said Monday was the magic date? Not Apple. I only recall hearing Monday as speculation and rumor.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 04:25 PM

It is standard "pragmatic computing practice" to hold off on updating system software or major applications (Quark, Photoshop, MS Office suite, full version browser updates, etc.) until you know the the parachutes opened for the lemmings ahead of you.

Just because an update is available does not mean that it is a good thing to use that update. See how other people do first, then update. You learn these sort of things once you get burned. I lost a hard drive to low-level corruption caused by new SCSI card FirmWare. (Adaptec 2940UW in a PowerCenter Pro 210. DriveSavers couldn't even work their voodoo on it.) After something like that, one gets damned cautious about changing anything on their system.

If you must upgrade, make a copy of your system folder, rename it to something like "MacOS 9.0.0" and drag the Finder out of the backed-up system folder so you don't confuse your Mac by having two blessed System Folders. Update the original and, if things work okay after a few days of normal work, then get rid of the backup.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2000, 04:26 PM

I downloaded and updated to OS 9.0.4 and it is much faster than Mac OS 6.1.

Just kidding...

Lets all just chiiiiiilllll. <-(you have to say it like the hampster in Dr. Dolittle [Chris Rock])

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2000, 04:26 PM

Cool off. If Apple doesn't know how to disallow their own Software Update, or is uploading and posting to servers improperly.

I am oppossed to this method. I prefer a CD, after that, a downloadable updater (MRJ 2.2, QT 4.1, OpenGL, GameSprockets, OT 2.6.1).

Yes, I think a minimum of TWO backup sets is prudent in all my years it is possible to need two (or three).

Live Update is new... but Apple sells a "consumer" machine, they sell iMacs that until now had Ethernet or ftp for backup (backup 4-10 GB via USB???) and if Norton can have an "Undo" for directory repairs...

I don't think highly of Apple right now. OS 9, USB, G4 Yikes!, monitor trouble with most all their units, RAM, six years to get a native PowerPC OS and OS 9 with all its hyped features like Multi-user and LiveUpdate.

AppleWorks 6 proved that Apple is not in control of Q&A or doing a good job meeting users needs in software.

But don't attack someone for using Apple's OS to do what it is suppose to. Do worry about your lack of rights when it comes to accepting less than "useable" software, or that state's want to deny end users of the right to redress or sue.

What about hard drive corruption from using OS 9 on iBook as it is intended and putting to sleep? Users are at fault for that too?

If Apple can't get their OS 9 - an extension of OS 8 - right and working, over four months on 9.x update... what of OS X? Wait two years? Better luck running Linux maybe.

Apple is asleep at the wheel, even as great new G4's and PowerBooks roll-out.
Greg

BC333
Mar 24, 2000, 04:46 PM

I auto updated 9.0.4 and it runs fine. However, remove everything from the RAM DISK before upgrading. Lost all RAM Disk contents. Also, after updating OT 2.6 showed up as a needed update. 9.0.4 installed OT 2.6.1. I did not update. Not sure why some cannot download and some can? Hope apple did not make a mistake!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 04:56 PM

please. IT has NOT been officially released, and when it IS it will be available in every possible way, according to MacNN News: as a regular 'non-software update panel' download, as a download using software update panel, and as a CD...

due to pure dumb luck and coincidence, some people were able to download MacOS 9.04 using the Software Update control panel... Apple opened the floodgates for awhile (a test, a fluke, whatever) and some people just happened to be using their software update panel and BINGO they got it, BEFORE it was OFFICIALLY released. it was a FLUKE that some people got it early... when it is RELEASED OFFICIALLY it will be available at all times. and that is that.

mactropolis
Senior User
Mar 24, 2000, 05:17 PM

Anyone who download MacOS 9.0.4 and is now complaining is simply *DUMB* !! sorry to be so harsh, but come 'on... you just downloaded Apple software and are allready complaining! If the software was ready for prime time, then Apple would have officially released it. But Apple has *NOT* done that. Any pience of software that is not officaly is expected to have last minute bugs and quirks that need to be ironed out. perhaps thats why Apple didn't release it yet! its 100% in every which way the users fault for downloading software thats not a good quality. And its not liket he software was 'pushed' onto your comptuer. you clearly had the option to download the update or not from the Software Update control pannel.
Death To Extremists!

PeterK
Mar 24, 2000, 05:25 PM

Under no circumstances should Apple put anything on their auto update server that isn't ready for prime time. People are not stupid for using the feature on their computer. This is logic turned upside down and sideways. Many users don't read the many Apple forums and sites. They turn their computer on and check their control panel update and see that an OS update is now available. How can anyone here say it's the computer owner's fault. Apple is at fault, plain and simple.

PeterK
Mar 24, 2000, 05:29 PM

mactropolis. Your reasoning is wrong. How are people to know that the update is not official. Did it say so on the auto update screen. NO IT DIDN'T IT DID NOT SAY "DO NOT LOAD THIS UPDATE." It asked if you would like to and some people did and paid the price for Apple's stupidity in making it available. It is a feature of the OS that people like. If Apple is providing faulty updates they should not appear until ready.

Jean-Michel Decombe
Mar 24, 2000, 05:30 PM

Obviously, it is Apple's mistake if people were able to download 9.0.4 before it is released (for some newbies, software updates might be configured to happen automatically without confirmation). Now, regarding those who say that you should wait until Monday to download otherwise you're stupid, give me a break! Some people already experienced nasty problems with the installation and you think that the version that will be available on Monday will be any different? That they will fix the bugs, test again, and burn another GM over the weekend? Get real! BTW, I wonder if others have the same problem as me... Every time I use Software Update, it tells me that I need to upgrade to Apple DVD Player 2.0, but I have had 2.0 for a long time already. Whatever... Uho, Software Update is requesting my attention as we speak (every Friday at 1:30 PM PST)... Checking... Alright, no 9.0.4 yet, but still f**** DVD 2.0!

batmantis
Mar 24, 2000, 05:32 PM

you can cry about how its not your fault since apple posted it, and youre right, it was apples error. but that doesnt mean your smart for installing it. if youre at an intersection and have a green light, but see a semi haulin your way that doesnt look like its going to stop, i suggest you wait for it to pass. yeah, you got the right of way, and its the semi's fault, but youre going to regret it more than he is.

if you happened to use the software updater and download the 9.0.4 without hearing about it somewhere else first, im really sorry to hear about whatever problems youre having. but if you read on macnn that apple appears to have made an error and a few (un)lucky people have been able to download the updater ahead of schedule and you sat around hitting the apple updater every 15 minutes until you hit the server with the updater, which i suspect is the more likely option if your posting messages on a macnn message board, then you got what was coming to you. you can blame apple all you want, and thats fine because they made a mistake, but the simple fact is you could have avoided the situation and you chose to ignore those risks so you could be the first kid on your block with the new toy. but the risks come with the territory-if you dont like them, then let some one else make the mistakes for you and learn from their experience.

KidF
Mar 24, 2000, 05:52 PM

Ok, you guys who are all saying that people are stupid and that this software hasn't been released by Apple, are MORONS!! If it's up for downloading on the Software Update control panel then it has BEEN RELEASED BY APPLE!!! How stupid can you be. People aren't hacking into Apple computer to steal unreleased software, or grabbing it off newgroups or warez sites. They're getting it through THE OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATE UTILITY!! Jesus, how lame are you people blaming everyone who automatically downloaded software that Apple told them they should run. Get a clue!!!

i, Mac
Mar 24, 2000, 05:57 PM

To the person who can't boot his hard drive, do you have one that is larger than 8GB with the system on that larger than 8GB partition?

I had similar problems when I did the audio update on my iMac with a 17BG hd w/ 10GB system partition. Turns out the ROM file had been moved past the 8GB mark, which renders it inaccessible to OF, thus locking you into that state.

If you can boot from CD, run Norton SpeedDisk or another disk optimizer and that may fix it.

Fdanna
Mar 24, 2000, 06:12 PM

Thank GOD that this type of mentality is only prevelent in the computer industry (to the best of my knowlege). The argument that people are stupid for taking a new product and expecting to work fall along these lines:

Case 1: Boeing releases a new jet so obviously the airlines are responsible for buying it straight away and having it crash.

Case 2: Honda releases a new car so OBVIOUSLY it's the drivers fault for buying the new model and getting into an accident caused by poor engineering.

Case 3: You take your car in for a recall fix and the fix causes your car to break down so OBVIOUSLY you're an idiot for trusting the fix.

Case 4: You buy the latest lawnmower and it blows up in your back yard, so you must be an idiot for buying it without waiting.

Is there ANY logic there? NO!

The plain fact is that software companies are getting away with releasing subpar products. There HAS to be a better way to do this....years from know we're going to look back at what will be old programming and QA styles and LAUGH at what fools we were.

Computers will NEVER be an appliance until they fail MUCH less than they do now. Thank god my coffee maker doesn't crash..geez.

-Frank

mickeysquid
Mar 24, 2000, 06:35 PM

Kid 1: Hey, what's that?
Kid 2: Some new OS upgrade. Supposed to be good for ya.
Kid 1: Did you try it?
Kid 2: I'm not gonna try it, you try it.
Kid 1: I know, let's get mickey.
Kid 2: Yea, He won't download it, he hates everything but Linux.

Beta5
Mar 24, 2000, 06:35 PM

You all spend alot of time attacking one another about who is right and who is wrong. Each person has there own preferences regarding what they choose to do with their computers. Some want the latest and greatest, that is there choice. Some are more conservative and wish to wait for others to clear the path. Attacking Apple is just as ridiculous as well, at least they realized there were issues with 9.0 and it needed some tweaking, hence the update. Apple could have said our priority is OS X and all owners of 9.0 will have to live with the issues. No one forced any one to buy an Apple, if you are that unhappy with Apple, go buy a different platform.

By the way, I was one of the LUCKY ones to obtain 9.0.4. I am running it on a B&W G3 400. I have had no problems with the install. The system is running solid, and I am content.

Quit attacking each other and enjoy your MAC!

mactropolis
Senior User
Mar 24, 2000, 06:45 PM

I believe its not Apple's fault for the problems in MacOS 9.0.4, and instead the blame lies on the people who downloaded it. Almost everyone that has a Mac and net access is bound to visit some Mac website, at least apple.com, where their would actaully announce the new update is official, thats how you know. And also, NO software is download via Software Update with-out you know. You can, however, set Software Update to automatically check for updates to software you allready have installed on your Mac whenever you want, but it still ask your permission before it begins to download. As some people have reported, MacOS 9.0.4 is not really for prime time, so why pound Apple with negative reports on software that isn't even official...
Death To Extremists!

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 07:11 PM

How the *hell* are we supposed to know when software is *OFFICIALLY RELEASED*?! I'm not dialing up some rumor site to find out. If i look on my Software Update control panel, and it says something needs to be updated, what am i going to do, run to MacOS Rumors and see if it's been released? why even waste my (expletive) time looking? I'm going to download it because, like previously mentioned, if it's on Apple's SU Server, then it's "Officially Released" I dont trust rumor sites, and anyone who does will be sorely disappointed when things dont go your way.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 07:22 PM

with all due respect, it is officially released when Apple says it has been officially released... and then Apple releases a statement to that effect and distributes that statement to the usual suspects, meaning websites like this one perhaps

i wish i'd have gotten it. oh well, soon enuff

riker29
Mar 24, 2000, 07:34 PM

Oh, lets get real here.

Apple is supposed to be the "useable" computer - you know, "for the rest of us".

Think of all of those regular, non-techno-weenie people out there, who have a diaplog box (or however auto SW Update works) saying there is an update for them. Are they supposed to go to the Macintouch or Macfixit site and see if the update is ok?

Lets get reall here. Its called Quality Assurance. Regular people, consumers, should have confidence that these updates improve things, and at LEAST do no harm.

And the key to Apple's sucess lately, is that the iMac is capturing 1st-time buyers, most of which are in this non-techie category.

Apple needs to get their QA act together.

yaamical
Mar 24, 2000, 07:42 PM

What about all those grandmothers who own an iMac and use it to email their grandchildren? How are they supposed to know that it's not "officially released." They can't say no to the guy who calls on the phone and tells them to send him all their money for investment in a hot new stock, what are they going to do when their computer tells them they have old software that needs to be replaced? They are going to download it. Are they wrong? No. Is Apple wrong? No. Mistakes happen and you just deal with it. Should Apple be liable for damaging a computer with not-ready-for-prime-time software updates? Yes, that's part of dealing with the original mistake. Will that happen? Let's wait and see.

RonMaven
Mar 24, 2000, 07:47 PM

Anyone who trys to grab an unreleased OS upgrade without reading the installation instructions or following the common sense rules of upgrades (backup drive first) will likely get what they deserve. Furthermore, blaming Apple for your own foolish mistakes is ludicrous.

Ron

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 07:51 PM

look, i am sorry for those who were burnt by this, but doubtless it is that had Apple only released the version of MacOS in question as a regular http download, the people having difficulty with it because of their having gotten it through the Software Update panel would have troubles with the release anyway.

it really is too bad that one can't just turn a computer on, any computer, and use it and have it work perfectly. i mean it. i wish that were the case, that we users could just USE a computer.

not gonna happen anytime real soon! and so i deal with the hand dealt and am reasonably fortunate and happy with the outcome, sometimes only eventually.

it is fairly certain that this version of MacOS that was briefly/intermittently available is a 'real' and not beta release. it is inconceivable that Apple would release a developer beta to the public, however briefly. have they not troubles enough?

so, am i an apologist for Apple? hardly, i rather think i am just calling it as i see it, i get just as mad at Apple as anyone else does from time to time, BUT, sorry to hear that anyone got hit unawares by this and suffered for it, ok?!? now, where's MY copy of this new MacOS?

TheoM
Mar 24, 2000, 07:52 PM

Let's put it this way:

Software updtae is badly executed software. I have an extremely stable machine, and it's backed up, etc. I can have a fresh system in less than 20 mins on it. Software update has crashed and frozen my machine EVERY time I have used it to update something. I always have to redo it. I have turned it off as it occasionally will freeze my machine when it's checking. It froze my machine solid twice yesterday checking for the 9.0.4 update. whatever it does with Apple's servers is bad juju.

It reminds me of 7.5.3, the worst piece of software EVER MADE. Give me an installer and an install log ANY DAY. this automatic software heaven is for the lemmimgs who prefer Windoze. They are the ones used to blind dates with unknown software from heaven. Mac users want the simplicity we have enjoyed to remain. I don't see a problem with notifying grandmas about new software availability, but taking over one's machine and freezing the hell out it, or installing crap that no one can tell where it went, and what was installed, is beyond me.

Shove it Apple.

RonMaven
Mar 24, 2000, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by yaamical:
What about all those grandmothers who own an iMac and use it to email their grandchildren? How are they supposed to know that it's not "officially released.".
Like grandma's out there are likely to open the software update control panel. My mom, who is about to turn 77, would never think of touching a control panel. If it's not on the Launcher, she won't touch it. No, the problem is Web sites like this just love to leak stuff about Apple. It's their raison d'etre and they don't do Apple a damn bit of good.

Judging by the posts here, they don't do many of you any good either.

Ron

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 08:04 PM

ya know you are right, Software Update cdev blows chunks.

which is why i never have used it and surprisingly enough have a rocksolid MacOS 9 installation on my beige G3.

Software Update cdev is fairly well-known to be poop at this late date and therefore it should be used by the adventurous.

should Apple be drawn and quartered for this Software Update debacle? it sure sucks but i think that once again the warning has been out on this cdev for a long while now. maybe one should forget all this automatic transmission stuff and use the stick-shift instead...

and yeah you bet, 7.5.3 was an OS from hell on wheels at 90 MPH. pure garbage

elpibe
Mar 24, 2000, 08:11 PM

If an update appears on a users Software Update Control Panel, the user is correct in assuming that is is officially released (or why would unreleased/unsupported software, showing up there in the first place). If it is not ready for release, then it's Apple's fault, and not the user.

Originally posted by mactropolis:
Anyone who download MacOS 9.0.4 and is now complaining is simply *DUMB* !! sorry to be so harsh, but come 'on... you just downloaded Apple software and are allready complaining! If the software was ready for prime time, then Apple would have officially released it. But Apple has *NOT* done that. Any pience of software that is not officaly is expected to have last minute bugs and quirks that need to be ironed out. perhaps thats why Apple didn't release it yet! its 100% in every which way the users fault for downloading software thats not a good quality. And its not liket he software was 'pushed' onto your comptuer. you clearly had the option to download the update or not from the Software Update control pannel.

elpibe
Mar 24, 2000, 08:18 PM

A user who purchased Apple software, used it (i.e. the Software Update Control Panel) and then begins having problems DESERVES IT? What are you taking about? Deserve what. Even if the version that was temp. available through Software Update is not the official release, we should all be concerned. It was most likely, at the least, the GM release, which is as close to official as possible. If that version, or what ever version was accidently downloaded by people, is causing this problem, is causing these problems, what kind of update is this going to be. Supposedly, it is supposed to be a bug fix, but at this point, it looks like its going to cause problems for a lot of users. Even if the official release is Monday, all users beware.

Originally posted by RonMaven:
Anyone who trys to grab an unreleased OS upgrade without reading the installation instructions or following the common sense rules of upgrades (backup drive first) will likely get what they deserve. Furthermore, blaming Apple for your own foolish mistakes is ludicrous.

Ron

elpibe
Mar 24, 2000, 08:26 PM

I just wanted to let Gregory and KidF know that I agree with their post.

A second note, why are people calling fellow mac users stupid. First, be a little mature, there are a lot of new users/non-techies that use macs. And, you can fault them for using the OS9 as intended by Apple. Second, if you feel like venting at people by calling them stupid, look for a Wintel/PC forum and lash at them.

boymilo
Mar 24, 2000, 08:46 PM

Does anyone who downloaded 9.0.4 (obviously a minor update) know what the update is for?
What improvements are there over 9.0? What bugs does it fix? Anyone who downloads software, especially system software, without knowing if it will have any effect on thier computing experience deserves whatever they get. Newer is not always better, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2000, 08:56 PM

"Mac OS 9.0.4, Apple's next unified system software release, is all but ready for rollout and will be released "shortly," MacNN has learned. Sources report the release will be in the next three weeks.
The current beta product, which goes by the code name Minuet, is at version 9.0.4f3 and was released February 29. This release is the eleventh seeded build of Minuet. This upcoming release does not include any new features, but does include an undetermined number of bug fixes and integration of existing components.
The main focus of Mac OS 9.0.4 is to unify specific component features of Mac OS 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and 9.0.3 that were installed of certain Mac models launched in February. Historically, Apple has always shipped a system software release that unifies all the enablers, updated components and any new components shipped for specific hardware. The unified system software release will upgrade any Mac OS 9 system to version 9.0.4.
When the unified system software is released, Mac OS 9 customers will be able to get the latest system software by using the Software Update control panel, through a manual Web download, or by purchasing a full CD release directly from Apple." http://www.macnn.com/features/os904.shtml

Lazeruus
Mar 24, 2000, 09:49 PM

Well hell with OS 9. I thought I might re-install after Apple's small update... Yeah.... right! Pshaw! I guess I'll wait for OS X.... hope it kicks as much ass as people say... if not... OS 8.6 might be the last great OS for many many people untill X 2.0 or XI (?) C'mon Apple!!!

Can't wait to see what 9.1 will do to people's computers.. My monitor is bleeding!!! )S 9.1 made my computer bleed!!!! Oh god why!!!!!!!?

------------------

-----------------------------------------
In Velocity + Mass + Trajectory
You will find the creator,Fate.

macwarrior
Mar 24, 2000, 10:08 PM

Apple has almost always provided some type of "advanced preview" of system updates, they have done this since 8.1. It seems to be their way of testing the waters or providing the updates to their more "daring" customers.

Appyling any unproven update without backup is unwise. I never take that chance with production machines but I do grab the latest update and dump that on a test machine and see where it breaks. If you want to apply the latest and greatest, just be prepared for it to break. No need to crucify people about it though, it's not the worst thing you can do. Try upgrading to W2000.

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by KidF:
Ok, you guys who are all saying that people are stupid and that this software hasn't been released by Apple, are MORONS!! If it's up for downloading on the Software Update control panel then it has BEEN RELEASED BY APPLE!!! How stupid can you be. People aren't hacking into Apple computer to steal unreleased software, or grabbing it off newgroups or warez sites. They're getting it through THE OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATE UTILITY!! Jesus, how lame are you people blaming everyone who automatically downloaded software that Apple told them they should run. Get a clue!!!
RIGHT ON!

Mac007
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2000, 12:19 AM

It would seem there are no easy answers here. The best one can do is be cautious and be prepared. If you put too much trust in any person or company you're bound to be burned sooner or later. That being said, isn't it good there are web sites like MacFixit where one can see potential troubles ahead and get help when it's needed.

------------------
"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"

[This message has been edited by Mac007 (edited 03-24-2000).]
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

roleary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2000, 12:49 AM

Apple includes a utility that prominently allows one to update the system software THEY post at scheduled times without having to okay the update and it is the USERS fault for using Apple's utility in a way Apple prominently allows?

I don't think so.

It has nothing to do with being "anal" that one sets a machine to do what it is supposed to do without intervention.

We are not Apple's Quality Control. Apple is Apple's QC, one would assume they have access to Macs to test their software on.

kieknrock
Mar 25, 2000, 01:20 AM

Ben,

Here's a fix that I've had to resort to when performing updates to OS 9 via the Software Update feature. Replace the Mac OS ROM file with the Mac OS ROM file from the OS 9 CD. Don't ask me why it works; just trust that I've had to do it with my Rev A iMac. Hope all is well!

Rockster

Originally posted by mkbhatia:
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:34:58 -0800 (PST)
To: [email protected]
Subject: OS 9.0.4

Dear macnn,
After many attempts to upgrade to 9.0.4, I finally was able to do
so last night, via the Automatic Update feature. After installing the new
update on my Rev. A iMac, I restarted as instructed. Upon reboot, the
computer first displayed a grey screen, saying "Apple Open Firmware 3.0" I
zapped the PRAM, and rebooted, this time I recieved a "dumping physical
memory" screen, comparable to the "Blue Screen of Death" witnessed on the
Windoze platform. In my horrified state, I attempted to start up with the
OS9 disk, and found that the computer would not recognize the cdrom. Then
I attempted to start from a Norton CDRom, and was succesful. I ran Disk
Doctor, and Disk First Aid, as well as Micromat TechTool 2.0 Pro, and
found no problems. I selected the startup disk, just to be safe, removed
all but the base extentions, and restrted. I got the grey screen of
physical dump doom, again, but this time found that it would recognize
nither the cdrom nor the new MacAlly keyboard. I plugged in the OEM
keyboard, and restarted from Norton Again. I scanned the drive again, with
Disk First Aid, and recieved the error code, -292537x(?). Immediatly
followed by an apple dialogue window saying "Error, No Error" (????) Then,
immediatly the computer froze up, even though it was running from a Norton
Disk. I began to be frantic, and suspected hardware problems. After
tearing apart the computer and checking all conections, which were fine, I
rebooted, only to find the same problems. After running all diagnostic
tools again, I restrted and found the Firmware Screen followed by the
system folder icon with no progress to follow. Later, I found that I could
only start from an OS 8.1 CD, but could never get the system to reboot
from startup drive. I hope no one else has this kind of nightmare, and
from reading other peoples experiance, I would recommend refraining from
updating, until these problems are fixed.
Ben Hemingway

strepidus
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2000, 01:46 AM

On the first page, a lot of the people seemed to be blaming the user for downloading the 9.0.4 update, saying that it's not "officially" released yet so it's not Apple's fault if something goes wrong.

That's just plain dumb, first of all because if someone got the update via the software update control panel, then it DID come from Apple, and Apple should be responsible for the quality of the software that it delivers to its customers.

Second, I guarantee you that if the update is "officially" released in the next few days according to plan, it will be the EXACT same thing as what the people got who downloaded it this week. Remember Quicktime 4.1? I was able to get the update from Apple Europe WEEKS before Apple "oficially" released it, and the release version was the same as what I got. Who knows why Apple pulled the update? Maybe their servers just couldn't handle the load, or it just got uploaded early. Anyhow, don't blame the people who got it early.

jtleavens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2000, 01:53 AM

God, some people are so arrogant...

Apple Software Update was supposed to provide all users (least sophisticated to power users) to be able to keep up with the blizzard of updates and provide a stable environment for your computer.

Anyone who posts "it's your fault because you should have known better than to download that" ignores the fact that the vast vajority of Mac users don't spend their day waiting for an update to MacOSRumors.

Face it, if you were able to download these software pieces from the Software Update, then Apple screwed up somewhere along the line. Period. It's not a world-shattering screwup, but it is and should be avoided in the future.
Justin Leavens

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2000, 02:35 AM

wlonh (and others following this line of thought),

Your logic is just plain flawed. Many previous updates via Software Update control panel have been released LONG BEFORE Apple acknowledged/made statements about/posted on their websites. To blame someone - especially newbies is a disgrace to you and your forum! Apple placed software FOR WHATEVER REASON on this server and made it available to some for some period of time. I don't give a rat's ass what others say, if it's available, it IS released.

Now, for those again blaming people for INSTALLING it I have this to say. Many folks have serious problems and installing this update right-off is worth the risk. All things being equal, yes, one should wait to see what others report before upgrading their OS or major applications. But if I have major problems already, I'll surely *risk* updating for the sake of a stable Mac.
Those newbies Apple geared this damn Software Update for are the ones most likely bitten. Lighten up and for god's sake use your brains and toss some reason into this discussion.

Scott (likely candidate for thread removal)

Forum Links
Forum Rules