Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 20)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Well considering it has a switch to turn off the ringer I think it would be pretty strange if it didn't have a vibrate feature.
Sure enough but it also has a camera and no sort of flash whatsoever. Even cheap assed Camera phones have a LED as a flash.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 06:48 PM

My RAZR doesn't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 06:49 PM

My PEBL doesn't. None of my friends' phones (LG, Motorola, Nokia) do either.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
My PEBL doesn't. None of my friends' phones (LG, Motorola, Nokia) do either.
OMG what about the Sanyo or Samsung!? Surly somebody knows somebody who has a phone with no flash from one of them also!

I'll try not to notice my cheap Sony Phone from a year ago with the LED flash or the current models for $400 (no contract) that have real flashes.

That aside does a $600 iPhone fall into the same category?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 07:35 PM

Too bad the camera is on the opposite side of the the screen. They could of used the LCD display as a flash just like Photo Booth.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 08:16 PM

The Wii's controller vibrates.

Sony just was trying to justify to it's fanboys the fact it lost that lawsuit and can no longer use the vibrate feature.

And my Samsung doesn't have a flash. (Something to do with preventing Japanese and their upskirt fetishes, perhaps?)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
The Wii's controller vibrates.

Sony just was trying to justify to it's fanboys the fact it lost that lawsuit and can no longer use the vibrate feature.
Not sure who you're responding to there, but I think they probably could have used rumble if they had wanted to pay for it. Apparently they didn't think it was worth it (they were wrong, BTW).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 09:18 PM

Flash on a camera phone ?

Never seen one.

-t

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

Never seen one.

-t
A lot of Sony Ericsson non-flip cameraphones are designed to look like cameras on the back, and that includes having a flash.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 09:37 PM

Never seen one.

-t
Sony k790

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 09:46 PM

my s710 has an led flash but it is useless makes a good flashlight though.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
my s710 has an led flash but it is useless makes a good flashlight though.
My Pearl uses an LED one also so did my old w600i. The SE k790 uses some sort of "real" flash and it works damn well. Eug can fill you in on the details.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:28 PM

Never seen one.

-t
Take a look at the SE 790. Works extremely well.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 10:45 PM

This page has estimated the total cost of iPhone ownership to be $1936 for the first year. Of course, the second year is less, since you've already paid for the phone, but by their figures it would cost you $3,232 over the 2 year contract.

Now first let me state that I find this overly sensationalistic, since we don't know what Cingular's iPhone plans will be, they've chosen a pretty expensive voice plan (my $40-a-month plan has way more minutes than I actually need) and they act like these fees are somehow unique to the iPhone when even the cheapest cell phone ends up being pretty expensive over the course of a couple of years.

But it did get me thinking. Let's look at a best case scenario and say that Cingular has a $50-a-month plan that combines unlimited internet with a reasonable amount of voice minutes (this may in fact be unrealistically low). Over the course of 2 years, the 8GB iPhone would still cost you nearly $2,000 when you figure in taxes and other fees. That's quite a bit of money and I'm not sure I can justify it. Admittedly, my current plan is costing me more than $500 a year, but I was thinking of changing over to a cheaper plan when my contract ends in a few months since I don't really use that many minutes. In short I'm not sure if I should get an iPhone or not.

It really is too bad that they don't have something that has the iPod/Internet/PDA features of the iPhone without the phone itself. I could see future iPods fitting in this category, though.
What's sad is that in America no cellphone provider charges you by the minute (at a normal rate), like say.. 0.5 cents a minute. No "reduced times" or anything, just simply 0.5 cents a minute at all times no matter where you are in the country. And then probably you'd pay like 3 dollars a month for having the phone number.

This is the kind of deal you can get all over Europe and it is mainstream. Why do American cell companies force you to buy an allotted number of minutes for a rip-off monthly fee?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
What's sad is that in America no cellphone provider charges you by the minute (at a normal rate), like say.. 0.5 cents a minute. No "reduced times" or anything, just simply 0.5 cents a minute at all times no matter where you are in the country. And then probably you'd pay like 3 dollars a month for having the phone number.

This is the kind of deal you can get all over Europe and it is mainstream. Why do American cell companies force you to buy an allotted number of minutes for a rip-off monthly fee?
There are pay-as-you-go plans in America. That's what my sister has. It's not really such a great deal, though, much like buying a bottle of Coke is a worse deal than buying a box at Costco.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 10:58 PM

Here in Australia pay-as-you-go are a much better deal than plans for some reason (or at least was a couple of years back - it might have evened out by now). And with automatic top-up it's just as convenient as plans as you never run out of credit.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 12:53 AM

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I liked this one better: YouTube - Conan - iPhone Commercial

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 09:26 AM

This one is the best: YouTube - iPhone spanks Microsoft

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 09:32 AM

Americans understand Craig Ferguson... or are the just laughing nervously at his accent? Ah the mysteries of life.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 09:49 AM

I don't watch TV so I've never heard of him before, but I think people can understand him just fine. I thought his act was total crap though. Not funny at all. Kind of like a parody of a stand up comedian.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Americans understand Craig Ferguson... or are the just laughing nervously at his accent?
I actually can't understand Scottish people a lot of the time, but Craig Ferguson is all right. Pretty funny, too, though that's not his best routine ever.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 11:51 AM

The funny thing is the iPhone was right under our noses for the past year with the multi-touch screen and proximity sensor patents that were discovered.

Apple Multipoint Touchscreen at hrmpf.com

Nobody really put it all together though as we were all thinking it was only for the widescreen video iPod.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 16, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Americans understand Craig Ferguson... or are the just laughing nervously at his accent? Ah the mysteries of life.

V
Are you saying a Spaniard watching a Scott on American comedy TV understands him better? You're more arrogant than I thought.

Fdanna
Jan 16, 2007, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this yet, but Cingular currently requires that you purchase a data plan with any of their smart phones. That's an added monthly cost I certainly don't want.

So think about this:

$600 for the phone.
$40/month for voice
$20-30/month for data
Locked in for two years

That means in two years, you will have spent a minimum of $2400 for the privilege of owning an Apple iPhone. Now add in text messages and times when you go over your plan minutes. Eeek...

This doesn't seem very appetizing at all. I don't want the lousy data plan, Wi-Fi is good enough for me, but if current Cingular policy holds, you MUST buy the data plan with any smart phone.

Not to mention if you travel to other countries you can't use their local SIM chips and Cingular charges $2/min for international usage.

I think I just talked myself out of buying one.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fdanna View Post
IThat means in two years, you will have spent a minimum of $2400 for the privilege of owning an Apple iPhone.
I don't know how it works in the US but here in Canada the contract is ONLY for the minutes plan and not anything else including the data, voicemail, texting etc. That leaves you free to change or cancel anything other than the minutes to go with current plans or promotions. You can also change your minutes plan at any time to anything cheaper with more minutes and sometimes even less minutes and less cost.

On top of that the MAX a carrier can charge you for early cancelation is $200.

So in Canada I can get a $500 phone on a 3 year contract with whatever minutes etc, change my mind the next week and want to can it all and only have to pay another $200. Plus you get to keep the heavily discounted phone.

I also don't see how the iPhone is an exception to other phones out there that offer the same or close.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

Why would you get an iPhone without data, voicemail, and texting?

'Only' $200?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

Ferguson has shown himself to be a fan of the iPod before, I think somebody posted a video of him making fun of the Zune a while back. Most of the routine wasn't that great but the last part was. A combination cell phone and iron!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Why would you get an iPhone without data, voicemail, and texting?

'Only' $200?
For phone, music and video I would think. Many people I know don't have voicemail and Texting has become so cheap it is included free in most packages.

Point is $200 is not much to get out of a 3 year contact especially when you got a iPhone for $600 when without a contact it would probably cost you at least $800.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fdanna View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this yet, but Cingular currently requires that you purchase a data plan with any of their smart phones. That's an added monthly cost I certainly don't want.

So think about this:

$600 for the phone.
$40/month for voice
$20-30/month for data
Locked in for two years

That means in two years, you will have spent a minimum of $2400 for the privilege of owning an Apple iPhone. Now add in text messages and times when you go over your plan minutes. Eeek...

This doesn't seem very appetizing at all. I don't want the lousy data plan, Wi-Fi is good enough for me, but if current Cingular policy holds, you MUST buy the data plan with any smart phone.

Not to mention if you travel to other countries you can't use their local SIM chips and Cingular charges $2/min for international usage.

I think I just talked myself out of buying one.
I think this is a bit misleading... For one, you're going to pay for cell service one way or another. You shouldn't factor in that $40 per month because a majority of users ALREADY pay $40+ a month for their cell service. I've had 3 smart phones on cingular which I did not use their data plan, the most recent being the Nokia e62. Often times Cingular will offer additional rebates if you sign up for their data plan for at least 30 days, and this I've done in the past.

To me I see this as $25 a month more for the data plan. I'll sell my current phone to eat some of the cost. So $300 is really what I look at as the cost of ownership. I don't factor in the iPhone itself as ownership costs... I'd have spent that $500 dollars on a phone more than likely anyway.

The other thing to remember is that $300 of internet costs is really only applying to people who choose to use it, or don't already have it. If you already have a data plan with cingular, and already own a smart phone... all you're doing is buying a new phone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I don't know how it works in the US but here in Canada ...
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that with Cingular.

-t

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Are you saying a Spaniard watching a Scott on American comedy TV understands him better? You're more arrogant than I thought.
Heh, asking a question and answering it yourself. That's not arrogant

An American or a Spaniard, yes they could understand a Scot well enough. Americans or Spaniards, no.

You understand less than I thought.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 01:41 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that with Cingular.

-t
So how does it work exactly? Is the contract the whole package including data? What is the early cancelation fee?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 01:43 PM

So how does it work exactly? Is the contract the whole package including data? What is the early cancelation fee?
I'm not sure about the early cancelation fee, but the unbundeling fo the data plan apparantly doesn't work.

Plus, free texting is not as common in the US as it seems to be in Canada.

I bet your ass that Cingular is going to milk the iPhone customers.

-t

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 01:43 PM

No, contracts typically only follow minutes. You can switch out features at no extention to your contract.

"Features" being.... internet, text messaging, 7pm nights, call forwarding, international dialing, etc

EDIT: and the early cancellation fee will be the same for everyone, iPhone or not ($200 for 2 years left, $175(150?) for one year). I highly doubt cingular will treat this phone any differently than another smart phone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 01:55 PM

There was some talk a few pages ago about whether the internet capabilities of the iPhone could be usable without an active cellular account. Are there any other wi-fi enabled phones that we could look to as precedents? Let's say that Apple comes out with a great new iPhone in a couple of years and you want to switch to it. Ideally, you should still be able to use your old iPhone as a music/video/photo player, PDA and portable internet device, but is that going to be possible?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 02:03 PM

There was some talk a few pages ago about whether the internet capabilities of the iPhone could be usable without an active cellular account. Are there any other wi-fi enabled phones that we could look to as precedents? Let's say that Apple comes out with a great new iPhone in a couple of years and you want to switch to it. Ideally, you should still be able to use your old iPhone as a music/video/photo player, PDA and portable internet device, but is that going to be possible?
Every smartphone I've ever used needed a simcard in it to work. Without a simcard, the only thing it would do is allow an emergency call. If you have a simcard in it but that simcard is from a dead account, the other features should still work. AFAIK, in that case, existing smartphones don't know the difference between "no signal available" and "account not paid up". I would think the iPhone works when there isn't a signal so I would imagine that as long as you have a spare simcard, you should be able to use the other features in ad infinitum.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 02:08 PM

Treo devices work without sim cards installed.

Nokia 6682 will function as a pda without the sim card installed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Treo devices work without sim cards installed.

Nokia 6682 will function as a pda without the sim card installed.
Well, it's Apple. Prepare to think different

-t

Fdanna
Jan 16, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben View Post
I think this is a bit misleading... For one, you're going to pay for cell service one way or another. You shouldn't factor in that $40 per month because a majority of users ALREADY pay $40+ a month for their cell service. I've had 3 smart phones on cingular which I did not use their data plan, the most recent being the Nokia e62. Often times Cingular will offer additional rebates if you sign up for their data plan for at least 30 days, and this I've done in the past.

To me I see this as $25 a month more for the data plan. I'll sell my current phone to eat some of the cost. So $300 is really what I look at as the cost of ownership. I don't factor in the iPhone itself as ownership costs... I'd have spent that $500 dollars on a phone more than likely anyway.

The other thing to remember is that $300 of internet costs is really only applying to people who choose to use it, or don't already have it. If you already have a data plan with cingular, and already own a smart phone... all you're doing is buying a new phone.
Good points, but for some reason when I tried to get a smartphone from Cingular, both online and at the store, they would not let me have it without the dataplan. I have no use for EDGE networks and the expensive fees they levy.

My desire for an iPhone was to not have to carry an iPod and a Phone. The iPhone its current form has too many price drawbacks to justify the convenience in my case. I travel to Italy so I need an unlocked phone to avoid the ridiculous roaming costs. I can buy an unlocked motorola with bluetooth for $170 or less and just carry my iPod with me. No need for a data plan, no contract. What I don't get is the browsing/wifi ability... something I don't have now and can continue to live without. Instead I can still sync with my computer (contacts and calendar) and my iPod will hold my entire music library, not a 3.5gb fraction of it (something I could have lived with).

In my opinion, for $600 a phone shouldn't require a contract, nor should it be locked. The assumption of a contract means the phone is subsidized... which means that it costs much more ... probably around $800... if that's the case fine, but if $600 is full price for the phone and you still have the burden of the contract and the locking... this doesn't seem fair.

Considering that the iPhone design is probably a nod to what the next iPod will be like in many respects, I think I'd be happier with a new iPod than a phone with many strings attached.

On a side note, Europeans mostly thumb their noses at locked phones, so it will be interesting to how this phone is sold and marketed there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2007, 02:58 PM

Never seen one.

Taken with my Sony Ericsson K790a in the dark with the built-in flash. (I turned off all the lights in my office.)

I don't know how it works in the US but here in Canada the contract is ONLY for the minutes plan and not anything else including the data, voicemail, texting etc.
That is not always true.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

The K800i is the only phone ever I have seen with a flash. All the others have LED photo lights which are useless for taking pictures but make decent flashlights.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The K800i is the only phone ever I have seen with a flash. All the others have LED photo lights which are useless for taking pictures but make decent flashlights.
Yeah, mine's useless as a flash, but it's a friggin bright flashlight.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That is not always true.
Wanna fill us in any more than just that?

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Here in Australia pay-as-you-go are a much better deal than plans for some reason (or at least was a couple of years back - it might have evened out by now). And with automatic top-up it's just as convenient as plans as you never run out of credit.
Unfortunately, the money does run out.

I bought my mother a Telstra mobile phone for emergencies with ten bucks in the account, but after a couple of months, the money "expired".

Total crap.

Even here in Russia, pay as you go phones don't expire. You buy a scratch card or pay electronically, but there's no time limit for usage.

Can't believe the rubbish that is Australian telecommunication.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
Every pay as you go plan I have seen has to be used up within a few months.

Sucks as I know a few people who want to keep a phone only in the car for the odd emergency.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post

I bought my mother a Telstra mobile phone for emergencies with ten bucks in the account, but after a couple of months, the money "expired".

Total crap.

Even here in Russia, pay as you go phones don't expire. You buy a scratch card or pay electronically, but there's no time limit for usage.

Can't believe the rubbish that is Australian telecommunication.
Go Vodafone. You can choose a 'bonus' option with your prepaid, like cheaper calls, some free texts, or 365 day credit expiry. My mum chooses that option. Costs her about $25/year credit that she has auto-topup on expiry.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 05:34 PM

Weird. I thought crack whores, criminals and grandma's were the only ones that used pre-paid phones?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 05:48 PM

And Australians.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant View Post
And Australians.
I thought I had them covered when I mentioned crack whores and criminals?

Forum Links
Forum Rules