Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And Amazon wants me to trust their web services?

And Amazon wants me to trust their web services?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 02:35 PM

So I used to find Amazon's shopping cart a very handy place to store a record tech books whose used prices ("Amazon marketplace") I wanted to watch - or that I might eventually want to buy used. I would move them from main shopping cart area to the "save for later" area.
About three years ago they wiped my entire shopping cart (scores of items): not smart if they hope me to continue as a customer - and a PITA for me.
Thereafter I usually kept my *most interesting* tech titles in a db on my hard drive.

But I got lulled into complacency over time, and again built up what again became my section of their data base within their "save for later" cart section. I add items frequently... it's not like I'm inactive.

So today I discover that they've wiped clean my "save for later" section. (a dozen items in main shopping cart section are still there). The function still works - since I can move items from cart into "save for later"... but all record of 100+ titles I was interested in has disappeared.

I realize that it's probably different folks running their store's db than running their web services.... but this sure raises my paranoia level. - perhaps justifiably? - about any sort of trusting of online data "backups forever" etc (ha ha).

What about rest of you? ever been mildly scrood over by data loss online?

It makes me want to quote Shakespeare: "Believe none of us. We are lying rogues and knaves all." —Hamlet
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules