Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Irez capture experience anuone?

Irez capture experience anuone?
Stardust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2000, 09:19 AM

About to buy an Irez Capture card for my Pismo. Can anyone tell me at what framerate and dimensions you can capture video. Not talking about stills.

Cowboy says thanx

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2000, 09:57 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you mean the older CapSure card?

It's actually pretty sweet... far superior to *any* USB cameras. FPS is 30 (very smooth) at a fairly large size... not positive how large, tho.

All in all it's a quality piece of hardware, esp. considering you can find it for less than $100 on eBay.

Stardust  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2000, 10:05 AM

talking about the Pcmcia (something like that) that they are selling now. Its for putting in my Pismo. Verry curious about video dimensions. It looks like something everybody want's to have. Just putting in that analog video in the machine. And just for $99

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2000, 12:08 AM

Go for it, you'll be happy for it. Heck, iRez's USB Kritter cam costs more than $99 and I'd say it's not even 1/4 as good as the dedicated PCMCIA card.

Now, iRez's new FireWire Kritter should be one sweet (digital) desktop cam, but you're definately not looking at a $100 price tag for that thing!

Let us know how it goes...

Eyeh8u77
Sep 7, 2000, 09:44 PM

I have a CapSure card. I use it instead of a TV by running my VCR through it and using the Apple Video Player. It does full screen at 640x480 without a hitch.

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2000, 08:22 AM

it's great. very much worth the money. The software offers instant encoding to multiple standards of video-encryption.

One thing I was not able to do :
when I insert a NTSC in the vcr and I want to record it with the capsure, the recording quality is black/white. Howe do I get it to color?
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

jed
Sep 9, 2000, 06:56 PM

Micha, my solution to that was to use Apple Video Player or some other app to do my recording. Irez's software seems to be buggy. I got better results with AVP and then editing it elsewhere. (QuickEdit, iMovie)

The card is handy to have, especially for older vidcams or VCRs or TV usage. I get good framerates at 320x240, and TV playback at full 640x480. There is no on-board compression but it's definitely worth the money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules