Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you think of Apple's product photography?

What do you think of Apple's product photography?
Dagen
Nov 28, 2000, 11:20 PM

Hello,
I recently took a visit to our nearest mall to do some shopping, and when I went to the stores, I naturally looked at the computer stuff. Sears was the only mall in the whole place that had Macs for sale or on display. I hadn't seen any macs newer than 3 years old (my friend's Beige G3 to be precise) before this, so I had never actually seen them before.

And ya know what? Apple's product photography kinda sucks, in my opinion. Why do they spend so much money making their machines look so beautiful and then ruin them on their web pages? Sears only had three machines: an indigo iBook, a graphite iMac and an indigo iMac. I always thought the indigo iBook was nothing special, and was blown away by the quality of it. And that graphite looked nothing like the pictures on Apple's web page.

What do you think? I may actually have to take back my previous opinion's of Key Lime, seing as how the pictures Apple gives you are no indication of what the products actually look like. And as a side note, despite other reports, the Sears guy was nice to me and didn't try steering me towards the PCs. I was quite impressed by him. Now if they were only all that good...

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2000, 12:29 AM

Apple's product photography is probably the best of all computer makers, but I agree with you -- the stuff in person frequently doesn't look very much like it does in the photogrophy. Colors especially... thank you, studio lighting...

Dagen
Nov 29, 2000, 05:27 PM

You have a point-the photography IS usually pretty good...but those freakin' white vacuums they shoot them in and the lighting are probably the culprits. If Apple can't get realistic pictures, I guess we'll settle for pretty ones

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2000, 12:36 AM

The real problem is that studio shots are color corrected under controlled D50 lighting conditions (to mimic natural sunlight). When you see the actual computer it is usually lit under incandescent (much warmer) or fluorescent (much cooler) light. Also, due to variations in the printing process, color differences are inevitable, especially when trying to reproduce extremely bright saturated colors. Regarding the images on the website, colors of web images vary wildly depending on computer display and operating system. There are a lot of uncontrollable variables in print and web image reproduction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules