Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 75Hz refresh rate good for eyes???HELP!!

75Hz refresh rate good for eyes???HELP!!
amit_uttam
Oct 5, 2000, 02:08 AM

Hey all iMac users out there

I was just wondering if any of you use 1024x768 as your resolution if so does it cause eye strain. Do you recommend me using it...I use my iMac a lot around 2-3 hours a day. PLEASE HELP!

PS. I have a Rev b iMac and using 800x600 resolution right now but would like to change to 1024x768.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2000, 02:11 AM

It doesn't cause eyestrain but I wouldn't recommend it because the limit factor is the
15 inch monitor.With this resolution you're pushing your mac's monitor to the max!!!
Also the graphis card isn't so good.
At 1024X768 it feels slower than 800X600
So just stick with the standard resolution of 800X600

[This message has been edited by phobos (edited 10-05-2000).]

Cipher13
Oct 5, 2000, 04:43 AM

1024*768 on an iMac is fine.
I used that for 3 years on my 5500... easy.
My eyes are as sharp as anything, no damage done.
Don't worry about it... just might wanna turn the white-point down to about 6300�. That helps a lot. And contrast of course.

I use my iMac a lot around 2-3 hours a day.

Man, thats nothing

Cipher13

Elifarley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 11:12 AM

Whay about the danger of X-rays emitted from the deacceleration of electrons hitting the screen? The recommended distance between you and the surface of the monitor is 2 meters, but no one uses a monitor this far....

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2000, 11:58 AM

Sure, 1024*768 is a great res for iMacs. I've never used the original iMac, so I'm not sure what kind of performance hit you'll find (if any). My iMacs (1999, and 2K models) are allways set to 1024*768*32. The graphics chipsets for those models are up to the task. In fact, even a 4MB video card can handle 1024*768 in 16 million colors. 8MB cards can manage 1600*1200 despite Apple's iMac video drivers. I expect Apple removed the higher resolutions because the 15" internal monitor could not handle them. Now if they ever decide on a 17" iMac... Nah, I'd want 16MB base video ram at that point anyways.......joe

Fdanna
Oct 5, 2000, 12:22 PM

75hz is NOT enough for 1024x768 and does cause eye strain. The flicker at this resolution and refresh rate is horrible for me. Some people are immune to it, but I know as soon as I step into a colleagues cube if they're using high or low refresh rates. Anyway, 85 to 100hz is best over 800x600 but if the flicker doesn't bother you, you're not straining your eyes.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2000, 03:28 PM

Whay about the danger of X-rays emitted from the deacceleration of electrons hitting the screen?
That's a bunch of hooy. You get way more radiation from natrural sources then you do from a computer monitor.

lee vieira
Oct 5, 2000, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by amit_uttam:

I was just wondering if any of you use 1024x768 as your resolution if so does it cause eye strain. Do you recommend me using it...I use my iMac a lot around 2-3 hours a day. PLEASE HELP!

PS. I have a Rev b iMac and using 800x600 resolution right now but would like to change to 1024x768.

lee vieira
Oct 5, 2000, 05:04 PM

Oops...read this one instead

Originally posted by amit_uttam:

75 Hz isn't a terrible refresh rate. In the 'old days', I used an Apple 13" RGB monitor that was only 67Hz on the refresh, and it never caused me any eyestrain.

I know it sounds odd (and vague) but monitor QUALITY seems related to the amount of eye strain inflicted...the 13" RGB @ 67 Hz caused me far less problems than my current (el cheapo POS) MAG monitor at work does @ its 85 Hz refresh rate.

The monitor in the iMac is very high quality, and the one I have at home is pleasing to look at for hours and hours. I know, because I played Diablo 2 for like 10 hours straight on it the other night

The real problem with running @1024x768 on the iMac is not the refresh rate or monitor quality, but the fact that as a 15" monitor, anything displayed on it at such a res is going to be SMALL. Which can cause eyestrain all by itself, regardless of refresh rate and other issues.

I'd stick to 800x600...it's not worth the possibility of having to get glasses later or shell out for laser eye surgery down the road. I don't run 10x7 res unless I'm on a 17" or larger monitor, and I don't run 1280x1024 unless I'm on a 21"

--lee

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2000, 06:55 AM

I have been using 1024x768 on my iMac DVSE for about 6-8 months without problem and I much prefer it. The only thing I did was to enlarge the std font sizes slightly that come as std. This way the Icon descriptions on the desktop etc are much more legible. (As std I found them a little small).
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2000, 05:11 PM

Lee Veira wrote:
"In the 'old days', I used an Apple 13" RGB monitor that was only 67Hz on the refresh, and it never caused me any eyestrain."
Not to mention that most (not some, but most!!) Windows machines found in business/school environments (excluding graphic design studios) run at only 60Hz, which gives me a headache after a while. The usual reasoning for this is that they use the same disk image for all machines, from old P133s all the way to Dual PIII-700s, so the screen is set to the lowest common denominator, which is usually 800x600 with 256 colors @ 60Hz.... ugh.

tooki

DocWest
Senior User
Oct 8, 2000, 07:33 PM

Whatever you set it to, you'll get used to it.
When you first change to 1024x768 it'll seem teeny weeny. Just use it for an hour and you'll get used to it.

Oh yeah, and focus on distant objects every once in a while. look out the window. That should keep your eyes okay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules