Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Message boards

Message boards
OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2002, 12:38 PM

Who would you describe as the best host for a message board??????
EZboard?
Infopop?
Proboards?
I operate a website and want to ad a message board to it.
I can't host it myself, but I want something that is full featured, fast and reliable.
Who would you suggest??
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2002, 02:16 PM

<a href="http://www.phpbb.com/" target="_blank">phpBB</a>

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2002, 02:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by shmerek:
<strong><a href="http://www.phpbb.com/" target="_blank">phpBB</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>I can't host it myself</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2002, 08:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Amorya:
I can't host it myself</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Oops must of skimmed over that part.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2002, 08:02 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by shmerek:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Amorya:
I can't host it myself</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Oops must of skimmed over that part.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Don't worry, it's easily done

I recommend PHPbb to anyone with their own hosting, too. I'm currently using it as a base for a website.

To make this even sort of on topic, I'd recommend staying away from EZBoard. I've used it in the past, and it's pretty bad. Also, you can't get at the data when you want to switch to another board.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2002, 08:54 PM

If you have a little bit of money, you can have an ikonboard hosted for you.

You can sign up for several plans, even a FREE one. <a href="http://myibmain.ikonboard.com/" target="_blank">HERE</a>

Mac Guru

OSX Abuser  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2002, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the input.......
I have decided to go with Infopop.
The same people whos software runs this message board.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

C-Eye
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2002, 03:36 AM

I know you've already decided to go with Infopop, but if anyone is interested in taking a look a XMB forum, I just set one up for my site <a href="http://www.seebeale.com" target="_blank">SeeBeale.com</a>

<a href="http://www.seebeale.com/forum/" target="_blank">SeeBeale Forum</a> <--please sign up

It's got some great features and I believe there are hosting services available from <a href="http://www.xmbforum.com" target="_blank">XMB Forums</a> if you can't host it yourself.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 06:52 PM

I strongly urge you to not go with ubb. countless hosts have banned UBB becuase it is the biggest server hog. for less money and only $30/year for members area access to get the latest board, go with vBulletin Board. It's the best board out there. only $160 for an owned licence, and $30/year after your first year for upgrades etc. Infopop charges alotmore something like $100/year.

Also vBulletin 3 is coming out. check it out here it's still in beta, but there will be a public beta soon, and it's so easy to upgrade form vbulletin 2.2.6 to 3.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules