Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Preview: Where is pen, and how not to fill

Preview: Where is pen, and how not to fill
kevs
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2019, 01:02 AM

Having a real hard time with preview if anyone can help.

I did find the pen or pencil, finally, but when I draw a circle and release, preview fills up with a color, instead of just leaving a line. NO IDEA how to not be forced to fill what I draw.

Equally maddening with Preview is when you are left with circles and square and what not (which happens quite a lot); the intuitive delete key does not get rid of these things. I have no idea how to delete all the stuff it forces onto my drawings.

I remember when preview could not do any of this stuff. Still it's the most non-intuitive, torturous , clunky, editing software imaginable. But I'd like to get better with it instead of always relying on Photoshop. Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 28, 2019, 01:34 AM

Just checked in Mojave Preview. I got unfilled rectangles & circles. If I click on one (so the 8 drag handles appear) then Delete gets rid of the object.

So hovering over the tools for the tooltips:
Line thickness: choose
Line (edge) color: choose
Fill color: choose
Font / test style stuff.

For line & fill color, the white box with red diagonal through it is "none".

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2019, 01:42 AM

Flying blind ReDER THANKS, no tool-tips, so don't know what going on. Where is pen, I'm clickingon pen and pencil, no names, no tooltop to help and still getting sqaure marquee, maddening.

Can you turn tooltips on so one can see what getting/ doing/

reader50
Administrator
Aug 28, 2019, 01:55 AM

All I did was...

View -> Show Markup Toolbar (Shift-Command-A)

When I hover over each tool, a tooltip appears after about a second.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2019, 02:08 PM

thanks reader, Yes I get that toolbar from clicking the pencil icon. Tooltips are working, but with a very weird 4 second slow delay I've never seen before with tooltips.

Main issue now is I select sketch and make a circle and Preview fills in with solid color still stumped on that.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 28, 2019, 02:21 PM

Set the Fill Color to the white-with-red-line through it. Upper left choice in the grid.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2019, 02:37 PM

thanks Reader it worked!

1- Can I set toolbar to stay there as default, seems vanish later. How annoying right? Always having to get the toolbar back, agree?
2- Noq no fill, but Preview instead of just letting my pen circle be way I drew it, forced a shape.. How to change that?

Really bizaree software, it's like it does not care what you want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules