Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dial-up internet over Bluetooth cell phone and iBook?

Dial-up internet over Bluetooth cell phone and iBook?
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2003, 11:11 PM

Instead of paying for data transfer through a cell phone service, is it possible for me to have my iBook simply dial-up to my local ISP? It'd be much easier considering I would have free long distance. I could call my ISP from wherever I am to get on the Net.

So is it possible?

(I searched, didn't find anything)

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 11:20 PM

Not sure about the bluetooth bit. But I use my HandSpring Treo to surf the net on a dialup connection, works fine.

I get free calls to 'landlines' after 7pm so this is great for me. I have no bluetooth so not sure about this bit. Don't see why not? On my phone I can select 'GPRS, dialup...etc'

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2003, 11:38 PM

Yeah, if I go with the plan I'm looking at it will be Unlimited minutes after 9. Either way this plan will have more minutes than I will need. It'll be nice to just check my e-mail or whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I am.

I really want to know if doing it over Bluetooth with my iBook running OS X will work.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2003, 12:38 AM

Yes, of course thats possible. I've got two different settings in my PB for when I travel, one is just straight dial up GSM which works pretty much anywhere, the other is GPRS when I am in the UK or Germany (I use Vodafone GPRS in the UK and e-plus GPRS in Germany)

Although it says "Infrared" the Ericsson t68 uses Bluetooth to connect.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2003, 01:06 AM

From what I've read, AT&T blocks calling ISPs through your cell phone. I am probably going to go with T-Mobile since I can get the phone for free but does anyone know if I can do this through T-Mobile?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Not sure about the bluetooth bit. But I use my HandSpring Treo to surf the net on a dialup connection, works fine.
I am in the process of getting a Treo 180g and I was wondering exactly about this possibility.

Are you on GSM too? Or what kind of SIM card did you install into your Treo?

So, can you just give the Treo the analog modem dial-up number of an ISP and it will connect to their modems like you would with an analog modem hooked up to your Mac?

Could you also connect the Treo to your Mac via USB and have the Treo dial-up to this number so you can use the Treo as a Modem for a PowerBook when your on the road?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 08:57 AM

I'm surfing via my 12" Powerbook bluetoothed to my T68i right now...

My ISP is Virgin Net, and my phone provider is T-Mobile.

Easy as can be...

Peace,

Marc
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jun 11, 2003 at 09:03 AM. )

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
From what I've read, AT&T blocks calling ISPs through your cell phone. I am probably going to go with T-Mobile since I can get the phone for free but does anyone know if I can do this through T-Mobile?
Yes, this is true. AT&T blocks CSD connections. They also lock all of their phones so you can't switch providers. Kind of bitchy of them. Go with T-Mo, they're a great company.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 09:46 AM

Why isn't this in the peripherals forum like most other bluetooth/Phone questions.

Moderator! oh, hang-on....

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I'm surfing via my 12" Powerbook bluetoothed to my T68i right now...

My ISP is Virgin Net, and my phone provider is T-Mobile.

Easy as can be...

Peace,

Marc
How did you get it to work? I followed Apple's instructions on how to set up my T68 and still doesn't work. is there a way you can post directions? Also are you calling your ISP or into T-Mobile using GPRS? Do you need to have GPRS enabled?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

marusin
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 04:45 PM

As of today T-Mobile (in the USA) is offering an unlimited data package to any phone of theirs for $29 a month. This seems like it could be a nice feature for some of you that are looking for a solution to "dial up" to an ISP. I have been a Voicestream/TMobile customer for quite a while and have a Nokia 3650 on the way to do something similar...

There is a discussion going on right now over at the HowardForums talking about the unlimited data package... Check out http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=150738

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
How did you get it to work? I followed Apple's instructions on how to set up my T68 and still doesn't work. is there a way you can post directions? Also are you calling your ISP or into T-Mobile using GPRS? Do you need to have GPRS enabled?
I call my ISP number through the T68i... I find the whole GPRS thing too buggy and scarily expensive!

It has been a while since I set it up, but from memory I did this:

First off, I went into the 'Network' control panel and selected the option for setting up the 'Bluetooth Modem Adaptor'.

I entered all my details and my PPP access phone number. I checked the option to ignore dial tone.

I set the modem type to be "Ericsson IR", I know it doesn't seem right, but it it the correct one to work...

Then I saved it all. That should be all you need to do...
To use it these days, all I do is open 'Internet Connect' and chose the 'BTM' option and hit ''Connect'!

It automatically dials my ISP through my phone...

The only problem I had along the way was the access number... You have to use an 0845 number. 0808 and 0800 'free access' numbers will NOT work. It caught me out first of all, but T-Mobile have a department dedicated to the connection of Phones and Laptops and they sorted it for me... In fact they called Virgin Net my ISP for me, and got the correct number... excellent customer service!

It has worked fine for a good while now, and is bloody useful for checking email on the move and stuff... even if the speed is back in 1985 territory!

In fact last week I updated my webpage from the back of a cab and the pub... I was showing off the PB a bit, but well if you can do these things!...

Hope you get it sorted, if not, I'll take some pics and post them as well to see if they help...

Marc

Miles Davis
Jun 11, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
As of today T-Mobile (in the USA) is offering an unlimited data package to any phone of theirs for $29 a month. This seems like it could be a nice feature for some of you that are looking for a solution to "dial up" to an ISP. I have been a Voicestream/TMobile customer for quite a while and have a Nokia 3650 on the way to do something similar...

There is a discussion going on right now over at the HowardForums talking about the unlimited data package... Check out http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=150738
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile and getting the 3650 on amazon (free!). Now that they have the unlimeted net, how do we configure this to the Mac? Oh and for a phone customer, you get to add unlimited for $19.99 a month!

Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 05:38 PM

I am surfing now with the Nokia 3650 and Bluetooth (T-Mobile). Set up was a snap.

I am having a problem with iSync - I can't get it to recognize the phone. Setup worked and I paired the two devices, but it will not sync. Anyone have some advice?

Originally posted by Miles Davis:
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile and getting the 3650 on amazon (free!). Now that they have the unlimeted net, how do we configure this to the Mac? Oh and for a phone customer, you get to add unlimited for $19.99 a month!

Miles Davis
Jun 16, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Robe:
I am surfing now with the Nokia 3650 and Bluetooth (T-Mobile). Set up was a snap.

I am having a problem with iSync - I can't get it to recognize the phone. Setup worked and I paired the two devices, but it will not sync. Anyone have some advice?
Would you consider using it as your main connection to the net? How are load times on pages? Does it disable you from recieving calls whilst you surf?

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Robe:

Can you dial up with the 3650? I have one coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm curious about it. If I can avoid buying the data plan, I will. I already have access to a dial up account so that's not an issue for me. I want to dial up rather than use a data plan.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 06:33 AM

dialing works as normal

HOWEVER: GPRS is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to set up:

if you have a T68i:

go to your menu -> connect -> Data comm -> data accounts

then create a new account
choose GPRS data

for T-Mobile, set the APN to internet2.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank.

then click it in the menu with all your data accounts, it'll say CID = (number)

remember the number

go to your bluetooth modem settings, and type in the number as *99***(the number you remembered above)#

and connect.

this is for T-Mobile on a T68i in the US.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

agentz
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I call my ISP number through the T68i... I find the whole GPRS thing too buggy and scarily expensive!

It has been a while since I set it up, but from memory I did this:

To use it these days, all I do is open 'Internet Connect' and chose the 'BTM' option and hit ''Connect'!

It automatically dials my ISP through my phone...

The only problem I had along the way was the access number... You have to use an 0845 number. 0808 and 0800 'free access' numbers will NOT work. It caught me out first of all, but T-Mobile have a department dedicated to the connection of Phones and Laptops and they sorted it for me... In fact they called Virgin Net my ISP for me, and got the correct number... excellent customer service!

It has worked fine for a good while now, and is bloody useful for checking email on the move and stuff... even if the speed is back in 1985 territory!

In fact last week I updated my webpage from the back of a cab and the pub... I was showing off the PB a bit, but well if you can do these things!...

Hope you get it sorted, if not, I'll take some pics and post them as well to see if they help...

Marc
Hi Marc
I've just acquired a T68i on T-Mobile and D-Link bluetooth adapter. This thread caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a try. I've configured my iBook running 10.2.6 to connect using a Bluetooth modem, set the modem type to Ericsson Infrared and put in one of the local access dialups my ISP (Blueyonder) uses. As soon as I hit connect on the iBook I get an error that says "Could not open the communications device".

The location is correctly set, the USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter is selected, PPP settings are correct but I get this darn message.

Any thoughts?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules