Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How could anyone get real _work_ done on a 12" screen?

How could anyone get real _work_ done on a 12" screen?
dcarmich
Sep 26, 2003, 12:22 PM

I tried out the 12" at an Apple Store, and not even Final Cut (Pro/Express) fit on the screen...how could anyone do _real_ work on such a small screen? (Except for word processing/web browsing/etc.) ie. graphic editing, print layout, etc.

It was a bit perceptually 'larger' than I thought due to the 1024x768 resolution, though.

What have your experiences been with using apps like Keynote, Photoshop, FCP, etc.?
Any tips for making them fit better?

(Just curious.)

--Douglas

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 12:38 PM

This was the reasoning behind my buying a 15" PB instead of a 12". I wanted the option of being able to do some work on it if and when the opportunity arose.

I think that the 12" is more for people who are on the go all the time. Like a photographer who is in the field and needs to make quick corrections to photos and maybe upload them for approval or a person who is always traveling and making presentations to clients. The 12" is a perfect presentation machine. It is the perfect ultra-portable PB. Some people will benefit more from the size and weight of it and not mind giving up some screen real estate for the convenience it provides.

Just my 2cents.

-b

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2003, 12:56 PM

I usually use mine with a second monitor, but keep in mind that until pretty recently the "pro" portables (Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo) all had 1024 x 768 res screens, and people somehow managed to limp by...

wavegroom
Sep 26, 2003, 12:57 PM

I'm moving from the first ibook 500/66 (overclocked to 600/100 :-) ) to a PB 15" 1.25
The main reason I'don't took the PB 12" was the screen..... If you only work with shells the 12" is ok, but for all other thinks it should be bigger....

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 01:04 PM

Well, what's your criteria for "real" work? I have had both a 15" and 12", and do Flash, web, video and design development. I have no problems with either screen. I like the 15" fine, but I end up on a desktop anyway. If I'm mobile, I like the 12" form-factor.

It's a real subjective topic, so be careful how you phrase things. It depends on your workflow.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 01:16 PM

I am using a 12" right now (iBook) and while like you say it is fine for word processing and web surfing i find it unsuitable for Flash or for having ICQ in the background.

Hence the purchase of a 15" PB.

AdamHadem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 01:20 PM

I understand what you are talking about. There is a trade off you make between the 15" and 12" PBs. It basically boils down to power/screensize v. portability.

I have been using a 15" for the past two years. Last month it was stolen. Time for a replacement -and a re-evaluation of my options. I travel a lot internationally and while I LOVED the screen on the 15", I found it just a little too bulky and heavy when I traverse airports and offices (try opening it in a crowded airplane at 30,000 feet. Its a squeeze.). I tried out a 12" at a store and realized that, while the screen is smaller, the new Al model is more than enough for my needs - and those include some work on Photoshop and FCP.

When I am at home, my machine is hooked up to another monitor and keyboard so screen space is not an issue. Yes, I will sacrifice some power by using the 12" but this is offset by the need for easy portability. And, I really couldn't do too much FCP work on the road anyway.

I think the 12" is designed for people like me who travel a lot and need something powerful, but more importanlty, small.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 01:22 PM

i used my first powerbook, a much-loved 2400c, for everything (grafix, writing, web)
10.4" screen! it worked because i needed to.

the 12" is fine for me, i want the portability, the light weight.

when at home i will connect it to a 17" lcd, and work with both screens.

u chose what u want & MAKE IT work

(just my opinion of course)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 01:24 PM

Thank you for giving me a nice hardly laugh today, The 12 inch powerbook really isn't meant for a video despite it can do it. I find the 12 inch screen gives me plenty of real estate for web development, chatting, browsing, photoshop, programming, word processing, itunes, mail and a lot more. I can also play games on it. Maybe you need a bigger screen but a lot of people like me love the 12 inch form factor. I was going to get a crt but eh I dont need to yet i find i got plenty of room. If your doing Final Cut pro you would probably want a 15 even though it works on the 12 otherwise everything else works foine on the 12 inch screen. This is why apple has different size screens. If you haven't figured it out people have different needs.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 01:40 PM

man i do web development also and i feel cramped on this 17" crt w/ 1280x1024. i borrowed an ibook for travel and almost could not bear to work on it. i am going for the 17" AL all the way. based on most of these posts its pretty much totally personal preference.

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 01:51 PM

I don't own a 12".

However, if I were to get one, it would be because it is small. I think that it's suited quite well to someone that has more than just a laptop to haul around to do their work�like a photojournalist.

Imagine having to haul around all your camera gear (which is a priority to a photojournalist) and on top of all of that, you have a laptop that's required in this digital age. The smaller 12" would suddenly look very appealing to these road warriors that often have to work from their car on location.

Just as the 17" might be too big for some; the 12" is too small for others. So, it's a matter of finding the right tool for the job you have to accomplish.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Dougmc:
I don't own a 12".

However, if I were to get one, it would be because it is small. I think that it's suited quite well to someone that has more than just a laptop to haul around to do their work�like a photojournalist.

Imagine having to haul around all your camera gear (which is a priority to a photojournalist) and on top of all of that, you have a laptop that's required in this digital age. The smaller 12" would suddenly look very appealing to these road warriors that often have to work from their car on location.

Just as the 17" might be too big for some; the 12" is too small for others. So, it's a matter of finding the right tool for the job you have to accomplish.
Extremely intelligent post! I think people buy the 12" PB because it suits their needs. Anyone doing huge video editing should buy a notebook w/ a larger screen, simple as that. And now one has the option to connect the 12" PB to any external display if you wanna do serious work with it in a desktop setting.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 03:49 PM

Thats why apple has the broad lineup. I was going to get the 15 inch but I just loved the 12's form factor. I have to cart mine around a lot because im a student, and the size and llight weight 12 inch powerbook is like apple answered my preyers to the gods. When I saw this thing in january I knew this was the one for me.

I agree with you, and that goes what i said in my first post on this thread. Video is best on no lower than the high end 15 with a extra monitor, and a 17 would be ideal. For my needs the 12 is great,

Also keep iin mind expose will take away the need for extra screen space for some because it makes it easier to get to windows quickly. Still I suppose a extra monitor would be nice, I'm surprised I dont want one cause i do so much with PHP and MySQL, and have tons of windows open.

Expose will do it for me hehe.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 08:49 PM

I have found almost no reduction in my Photoshop, Illustrator or Dreamweaver workflow since switching from a 15" Ti to a 12" Al in February. Opening up FCP was a little cramped though, but I RARELY do any video work.

As a bonus, the 12" is far more durable and portable.

You will find that the Expos� feature in 10.3 Panther helps to compensate for the workflow restrictions of the 12" by making your open application windows easier to access rapidly.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 09:00 PM

You can't say editing is impossible on a 12-inch. Anything's possible. Now that the 12-inch has DVI out, as has been mentioned, you could easily attach it to one of the nice Cinema displays.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 11:03 PM

Im using the 12" Powerbook (at home I use it with a Lacie Electron 19 Blue) You see, I needed a light computer for travel, I Had an older 15" powerbook, and the differance in weight may not seem like much, but put it in a backpack along with all your camera gear, and try hiking around Vegas, and you'll notice the differance immediately. I would not trade it for any other laptop.
Powerbook 12" 640MB 60GB AirportExteme Canon 10D and my good looks 8^D

webb3201
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 11:14 PM

I travel 40% of the time and was really craving a truly portable form factor. for years I left my Powerbooks behind and ran with a small Sony rig. The 12" was a wonderful addition to the Apple lineup and has allowed me to run Macs all of the time. I simply hook up to a 17" flat panel if I need pallette room. The great thing about this computer is it can come with me everywhere.

In 2000, I was happily editing video on a wonderful Pismo machine with 8mb of vram and a 1024x768 resolution. I now have more power in a much more compact package. The great thing is as Apple fans, we have three wonderful models to choose from.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:51 PM

Great posts, very helpful. I'm considering a new 12" AlPb.

What I want to know is how hot the new 12" gets. It looks to me that Apple moved the ports to the side and left the back for ventilation, like in the 15" or was this in the previous model, too? I've played around with the previous model 12" and thought it got quite hot. I hope the newer ones run cooler. Anyone have any experience with the new 12"?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Nessie:
Great posts, very helpful. I'm considering a new 12" AlPb.

What I want to know is how hot the new 12" gets. It looks to me that Apple moved the ports to the side and left the back for ventilation, like in the 15" or was this in the previous model, too? I've played around with the previous model 12" and thought it got quite hot. I hope the newer ones run cooler. Anyone have any experience with the new 12"?

this is my big stumbling block as well...every 12" revA i played with got really hot left of the trackpad...and as a leftie, i find my hand resting there a lot.

cant wait to get to the apple store & see it for real...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 01:05 AM

I considered it and decided I COULD get work done on it. But not for long before it hurt my eyes! That varies from person to person. Lots of people use laptops of that size. For FREQUENT use, I'd avoid it--but the portability is great!

It's the tiny size of the pixels--and thus the UI text--that gets to me. Same goes for 15" screens with 1600x1200 crammed into them. No thank you!
nagromme

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 03:03 AM

disregard this post...
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 27, 2003 at 03:24 AM. )

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2003, 03:10 AM

I'm a student, and I do graphics design on the side.

The size of the 12" was the deciding factor in buying it cause, frankly, having a laptop that's about the same size as (or smaller than) most of my text books was great. I can just toss it into my backpack with the rest of my books, which means i have it more often (instead of needing to decide when to and when not to lug a laptop case around,) which gave me more opportunities to work (or just piss time)

when i want to get "real" work done? i cope. i'm used to 1024x768. i've never really been spoiled by anything BESIDES that. my PC runs on 1024x768, my lombard ran on 1024x768, and my TiBook ran on 1152x768 (same thing)

i realize it'd be NICE to have more room, but you have to balance power with portability. i chose portability and i haven't regretted it one bit.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 03:23 AM

i agree with others 12" form factor is absolutely perfect...

lates...

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 05:57 AM

If I'm mobile, I like the 12" form-factor.
[/B]
I totally agree! And with 10.3 Panthers expos� it will get even better

philz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 06:15 AM

I went from a 13.3" Compaq to a 10.4" Vaio. Both were 10x7 and I could do the same things on either one. You'd be surprised how well your eyes can adjust to such a small screen. Now I'm moving back up to 12".

I looked at the 15" but decided it was too big. I find myself bouncing back and forth across the Pacific now and then and a laptop that I can't fully open on my in-flight tray isn't going to work. Not only that but ideally there should be enough space on the right for my mouse to go. Weight is also a factor. After 20+ hours of travel even my 3lbs Sony would drag me down a bit. I can't imagine carrying one of those 7-8lbs PC monsters.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 06:20 AM

I think the DVI in the new 12" makes if much more functional!

I'm tempted to buy one myself, now that I can hook it up to a Cinema Display
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Forum Links
Forum Rules