Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Macally Icekey & Apple Keyboard Owners, please help

Macally Icekey & Apple Keyboard Owners, please help
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 06:26 PM

Aloha,

The num pad has died on my almost 2 year old Apple Pro keyboard, I need to buy a new one or I can't play Civ III

It was bought in the summer of 2003, but says copywrite 2002. From what I've read, the current crop of Apple keyboards come from 2003, thus I don't know if what I have is the same as what I could buy today.

This is important because the keyboard cannot be any wider than the one I have or it won't fit on my desk, it's literally down to 1/4 inch or less. Amazon lists the current Apple keyboard at 19.3" wide. Mine is 18.1" wide.

Could someone who owns a recent Apple USB keyboard please measure the width for me.

Also, Macally says their Icekey width is 18.19". Could an owner of this keyboard measure its actual width for me? Is the 18.19" the width of the top part that's a little wider than the rest of the keyboard?

Thanks again, I live on an isolated island in the pacific, without Macnn there would be no way I get such info
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

jac
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 06:45 AM

The Apple keyboard that shipped with my 6 month old PM G5 is a svelte 17 and a quarter inches wide. It's the one with the usb ports on the back, not the sides. My IceKey is about 18 and a quarter inches wide (slighty less) at its widest point.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 07:25 AM

The new Apple Pro Keyboards are actually a little smaller in width than what you would have previously owner from 2003. The old ones had more see-through plastic around the edges, whereas the newer ones are more clear-cut and less 'bubbly'.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 01:03 PM

Right. The 19.3" from amazon is almost surely the box size.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jac
The Apple keyboard that shipped with my 6 month old PM G5 is a svelte 17 and a quarter inches wide. It's the one with the usb ports on the back, not the sides. My IceKey is about 18 and a quarter inches wide (slighty less) at its widest point.
Thanks to everyone and thanks Jac providing the actual real world measurements. Extremely helpful.

I think the IceKey may just fit, is it $12.50 better than the Apple?
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules