Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac for home server? Some Questions

eMac for home server? Some Questions
acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 10:59 PM

This winter we will be replacing our kids' eMac. It's an Edu Model 1.0Ghz G4, with the ATI 9200, USB 2.0, and PC2700 RAM.

Rather than selling it, I'm thinking about turning it into our home server and eyeTV recording machine. I would be dropping a DVD-R drive in there, updating the HD, RAM , and installing 10.5.
I have all of this stuff, so it would not cost me anything.

My questions are:

1. What is the maximum RAM this model can take? It has 2 PC2700 Dimm slots. Can it address more than 1GB of ram if I put a 1GB dimm in it?
Can I keep a 256MB Dimm with the 1GB dimm or do they have to match ?

3. I have a spare 320GB IDE drive. Would this model eMac address the whole drive? ( is there a 128GB limit like some older IDE chipsets? )

4. With enough RAM and HD space, would 10.5 run OK for file and printer sharing ?

Thanks,
Alan

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by acX View Post
This winter we will be replacing our kids' eMac. It's an Edu Model 1.0Ghz G4, with the ATI 9200, USB 2.0, and PC2700 RAM.

Rather than selling it, I'm thinking about turning it into our home server and eyeTV recording machine. I would be dropping a DVD-R drive in there, updating the HD, RAM , and installing 10.5.
I have all of this stuff, so it would not cost me anything.
Sounds interesting. I have an eMac that is going to be replaced soon by the new MacBook beside it, and I've been wondering what to do with my eMac, too. I already have a Mac mini doing what you propose, so I'll have to figure something else out.

1. What is the maximum RAM this model can take? It has 2 PC2700 Dimm slots. Can it address more than 1GB of ram if I put a 1GB dimm in it?
Can I keep a 256MB Dimm with the 1GB dimm or do they have to match ?
The maximum is supposed to be 1GB. That's what I have on mine. Not sure if you can put in more. They don't have to match, but you get some performance gains if they do.

3. I have a spare 320GB IDE drive. Would this model eMac address the whole drive? ( is there a 128GB limit like some older IDE chipsets? )
I have a 160GB HDD in mine and it can see all of it, without issue.

4. With enough RAM and HD space, would 10.5 run OK for file and printer sharing ?
The eMac meets the minimum requirements and more, so Leopard should run fine on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules