Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thinking of ordering a PalmPre2 from the U.K....

Thinking of ordering a PalmPre2 from the U.K....
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 04:13 AM

I'm thinking of ordering a PalmPre2 from a website in the UK. According to it's description "This device is supplied as factory unlocked 2G GSM 850/900/800/1900 & 3G UMTS 900/2100uk network unlocked, i.e. you can use this device with a SIM card from any uk network.".

I am in Australia, and im kindof a noob when it comes to cellular networks beyond the differences between CDMA and GSM.

Will said phone function on networks in Australia? (Telstra/Vodafone/Optus/etc..)

Cheers

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2011, 04:32 AM

probably not a wise purchase at the moment.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 05:53 AM

Well, i wants me some webOS. Given the uncertain future, this might be the only way.

So any info regarding the networks?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2011, 11:28 AM

You'll have 900MHz 2G and 2100MHz UMTS 3G on Telstra and Vodafone, which isn't ideal if you're in an office building all day. High-frequency means low-penetration of buildings. You'll have good 2G coverage though. However, Vodafone are starting to make a new 900 MHz UMTS network in Australia's major cities, which would be great.

Also, the Pre 2 is probably the best choice if you want in on webOS phones right now. It's still the standard development device for webOS, so any continuing development by HP will be for tested for the Pre 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules