Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther only in december

Panther only in december
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2003, 02:34 PM

From Amazon's German site:

Amazon's German

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 03:03 PM

They're just "playing it safe". There's no offical date announced yet.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2003, 03:10 PM

It will be WAY before December...

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
It will be WAY before December...
No, it won't. At least that's what I have been told by an apple official recently.

If we keep the history of Steve's announcement in mind, it's going to be rather too late than too soon.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
No, it won't. At least that's what I have been told by an apple official recently.
Of course they are going to tell you that...they are "trained" to tell you that to cover their butts...they figure they say it won't be ready and then anything before December makes them look better.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 04:21 PM

I had one of the experts at CompUSA tell me it was coming in December

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
it's going to be rather too late than too soon.
not sure there is any such thing as "too soon."

But regardless, I'm sure, after all the other late-ness fiascos Steve was padding the numbers a bit.

"end of the year" gives them a long time. If they get done before that, they'll release it earlier, and I'm sure the pressure is to finish early, rather than just-in-time.

What will *actually happen* though is probably beyond anybody's knowledge at this point (including Steve himself).
cpac

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
I had one of the experts at CompUSA tell me it was coming in December
Ah, I see you use the word "expert" loosely.

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 06:19 PM

How soon after it gets released will it be included in new Macs?

I ask because I'd rather get a new cheap Mac (eMac) than spend $129 for the latest version of OS X. And I assume I will be able to use the included Panther CDs to install it in my other Macs right?

Would it be wrong to encourage members of my family to buy a Mac (with my financial support) in return for getting the Panther CDs? I realize Apple has a family pack price of $200 for new OS releases but seems better to buy a new Mac and create a new Apple user.

What do you guys think?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
How soon after it gets released will it be included in new Macs?
It will immediately be free for people that purchase a new mac on/after the release date, even if it is not pre-installed. If you buy a mac that doesn't have it preinstalled you'll get some sort of coupon or something that you can get Panther with.

And I assume I will be able to use the included Panther CDs to install it in my other Macs right?
Wrong. That'd be illegal.

Not sure if they'll do it, but they presumably *could* use the same sort of piracy protection they do with the software restore CDs that prevent installation of software on anything but the same model of Mac that the CDs came with.
cpac

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 06:46 PM

Well I was able to use my $20 Jaguar CD (discount due to recent purchase) to install it in my 2 year old iMac. Are you saying that 10.3 mayl have some kind of feature per CD that will only allow it to install in the particular computer it came with?

This doesn't seem to have been the case with X and X.2.

The other point is that Apple would not be losing: my options are to pay $200 for Family 10.3 or buy a new Mac. Which option would Apple prefer?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 07:11 PM

Well I was able to use my $20 Jaguar CD (discount due to recent purchase) to install it in my 2 year old iMac. Are you saying that 10.3 mayl have some kind of feature per CD that will only allow it to install in the particular computer it came with?

Oh, you can definitely install it on more than one Mac. It's just illegal, unless you've bought more than one Mac OS X license.

I'd say go with the eMac. But I can say that because I'm not the one spending the money.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:

Well, that was illegal (if you installed Jag on more than one machine).

10.3 will (most probably) not have anything keeping you from installing it on as many machines as you want, but installing it on more than one machine per license will be illegal.

The other point is that Apple would not be losing: my options are to pay $200 for Family 10.3 or buy a new Mac. Which option would Apple prefer?
Apple would prefer you bought any Macs you needed, and also installed only legal copies of Panther, paying for any additional installations.

So Apple would rather you bought the eMac AND bought Panther.

Assuming you're only going to purchase one or the other, though, I'm not sure whether Apple's profit on a copy of Panther ($129 less cost of 2 cds/packaging) or a low-end eMac ($800ish less cost of machine, packaging etc.) is larger.
cpac

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
not sure there is any such thing as "too soon."
Not sure about that - last year we were all saying Jaguar was released a little too soon.

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 01:44 AM

I don't understand the priority being placed on "soon" rather than more stable, more features. I'd rather wait another 60 days and have it right than I would install, depend on it and then find big problems.

Sure, marketing and timing are factors, but don't come close to quality. All the sales in the worlld will backfire if the product is not up to expectations.

FWIW
Craig

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
From Amazon's German site:

Amazon's German
I'd like to think Panther will come out along a similar timeline as Jaguar.

turboSPE

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2003, 02:07 AM

My restore DVD from my powerbook was locked down so I could only install it on my powerbook...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 02:58 AM

Uhh, does anyone remember the reports of Jaguar early on? This thing wasn't held off because it needed that much fine tuning, it was held off so the WWDC would be the next MacWorld NY and they wanted to unvail the G5s which DID need time.
If this debutes after september I would be genuinely surprised.

Forum Links
Forum Rules