Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mlMac: 80% CPU usage!!!

mlMac: 80% CPU usage!!!
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 12:47 PM

It's impossible to use mlMac (0.7.2a) and mlnet. Sometimes it uses 80% from my CPU!!!

Is there another software to mlDonkey, mlNet??

Thanks!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 01:27 PM

Try Poisoned, and complain to the software dev of mlMac.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 10:59 PM

It's the daemon, man. The mlnet daemon.

Are you quitting the daemon when you're not using MlMac? It is set to quit by default.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 12:19 AM

Are you sure that the daemon is the one causing the high CPU usage? I have found that I'll come back from being away from the computer for a few hours and mlmac will have crashed, but the daemon is running silently in the background, and my network traffic monitor shows that my downloads (and uploads for that matter) are still crankin'.

I find that the GUI itself seems to be causing most of the high CPU usage.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Are you sure that the daemon is the one causing the high CPU usage? I have found that I'll come back from being away from the computer for a few hours and mlmac will have crashed, but the daemon is running silently in the background, and my network traffic monitor shows that my downloads (and uploads for that matter) are still crankin'.

I find that the GUI itself seems to be causing most of the high CPU usage.
Yes, you're sure. When mlMac crashed the daemon is still running. I can see the manager using a web browser:

http://localhost:4080/

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Try Poisoned, and complain to the software dev of mlMac.
I'd try poisoned, but it doesn't seem to connect to the edonkey network, which is what I primarily use mlmac for.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 08:01 PM

I just use mlMac to launch the daemon, then i access it using the web interface. It also means i can leave one computer running all the time and access it via the web interface from any computer on the LAN.

The GUI is nice, but I don't need it, the web interface does everything.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
Yes, you're sure. When mlMac crashed the daemon is still running. I can see the manager using a web browser:

http://localhost:4080/
Ah-hah. I guess I haven't played with mlMac enough. I am also looking for eDonkey connectivity, so I just installed mldonkey and I've been messing around with it for a day or two now. I'm not sure that it's working as well as I would have liked it to. I can't figure out if it's because I don't know what to search for or if I am just getting limited search results.

But have you considered trying mlDonkey itself?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Ah-hah. I guess I haven't played with mlMac enough. I am also looking for eDonkey connectivity, so I just installed mldonkey and I've been messing around with it for a day or two now. I'm not sure that it's working as well as I would have liked it to. I can't figure out if it's because I don't know what to search for or if I am just getting limited search results.

But have you considered trying mlDonkey itself?
I think when I installed mlMac it installed mlDonkey too. I can see the downloads/uploads using the web interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules