Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no eMacs...

no eMacs...
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:27 PM

The eMacs are gone from the online store and from the hardware page.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

You can buy mine if you like!.....

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:50 PM

Thank you... I bought an iMac G5 last month But before that I was owner of an eMac 1GHz. Great machine!

yoesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 08:57 PM

eMacs are still available via the EDU and GOV apple stores.
they are just probably fading into the sunset quietly....

real question is will they be replaced or will the imacs take their place in the inventory of schools.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 10:03 PM

The only way you can get an eMac now, if at all, is by doing an institutional purchase - no individual users can buy them.

I have to say that the eMac probably won't be missed very much - not by now, that is. I suspect that people only really bought the eMac in 2005 if they were a long-time Mac user or someone else in love with all-in-one but unable to afford an iMac. Everyone else already knew where they were going: the Mac mini is ultimately the cheapest option, and the iMac G5 has always been a better machine overall.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 10:52 PM

I think the eMac was more trouble for Apple than it was worth. The profit margin and sales of the eMac must be really bad for Apple to quietly kill it off. With the exit of the eMac there's a void between $699-1299 price range. We will either see a higher spec'd/expensive Mac Mini or a lower spec'd/cheaper iMac.

I think this is the reason Apple did a silent update of the Mac Mini. When you look at the specs of the silently updated highest end Mac Mini vs the phased out eMac it appears that the eMac is a bad deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules