Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Resetting default browser to Explorer

Resetting default browser to Explorer
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2002, 11:29 PM

Jaguar always resets the default web browser to Internet Explorer. I click a link in an email message, then IE opens up. So I set
it back to Chimera in the System Preferences Internet pane and it works just fine for a couple of days, or hours...
Then the problem returns. When I check the System Preferences Internet:Web option, it is indeed reset to IE.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or know a work-around? How can I correct it?

Thanks!

jcb9
Sep 20, 2002, 11:43 PM

I've found that OS X sometimes forgets my default browser when I upgrade to a new version of OmniWeb. I don't have IE installed, but when I upgrade OmniWeb, it reverts my default browser to Chimera or Mozilla.

I'm not sure how to stop it from doing this - just saying that might be why it's changing your default.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 12:04 AM

I think these are really two different problems. The general problem of browser preference arbitrarily resetting to IE is one that many have complained of. If you do a search over the forums, you might find some good advice. Myself, I used to have that problem, but then it went away and hasn't bothered me for months. I have no idea why.

The problem with browser pref resetting to IE when you upgrade OmniWeb seems to be a feature of OmniWeb. For some reason, each new version of OW is treated like a new application (as if it had a different name and everything, even though it doesn't.) If you make the OW icon permanent in the dock and then upgrade to a new version of OW, you'll see that the old dock icon does not work any more. So each time you upgrade OW, you have to replace the dock icon and you have to go to the Internet pref panel and set the new OW as your default browser. I don't think that's Apple's fault, since no other app works like that.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by rw:
For some reason, each new version of OW is treated like a new application (as if it had a different name and everything, even though it doesn't.) If you make the OW icon permanent in the dock and then upgrade to a new version of OW, you'll see that the old dock icon does not work any more. So each time you upgrade OW, you have to replace the dock icon and you have to go to the Internet pref panel and set the new OW as your default browser. I don't think that's Apple's fault, since no other app works like that.
hmmm...i have omni in my dock, and i replace the app every time there is a new sneakypeek and/or beta.....my dock icon continues to function just fine, i've never had to replace it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

eno
Banned
Sep 21, 2002, 07:30 AM

I never used to have this problem, but I certainly have it now.

It might be a 10.2/10.2.1 bug.....

See here

Specifically:
The dialog will have no use in Mac OS X 10.2 until Apple fix the bug in
LaunchService that prevents anything to take over the default web browser other
than MSIE.

I've tested with build 20020919 build and OSX 10.2.1 and the problem is still
not fixed.
In any case I am thinking of deleting fcuking IE completely.

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2002, 08:30 AM

I can't delete IE because I can't see media files (windows media and Real Player) with Chimera...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 08:30 AM

MacOSxHints.com has several hints for forcing the OS to permanently recognise your preferred browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules