Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Installing Classic

Installing Classic
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2002, 08:12 AM

I installed OS X, but I didn't install OS 9 drivers. Now I need to install Classic. How can I do it?

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2002, 06:47 PM

I did it this way (I don't use classic a lot, and I don't expect to EVER BOOT in 9 - unless I boot off the OS 9 CD)

Assuming you have OS9 Install CD (which you need to install 9):

1) Boot up using OS9 CD (place in drive, restart, hold down C)

2) Find "Disk Copy" Program

3) Create New Disc Image - I created one about 1 GB and saved it on my OS X Drive

4) Mount this disk image by double clicking the saved dmg file (or sometimes they mount automatically after creating them)

5) Launch OS9 installer and install OS9 onto the disc image

6) Restart into OS X

7) Once in X, double click the OS9 disc image to launch it - BTW you can customize the icon for the disk once the image mounts

8) Open classic pref pane - choose the mounted disc image as your classic drive - launch classic.

9) from now on when you double-click a classic app - the disc image will automatically mount, and classic will launch. To uninstall classic - simply trash the dmg file.

10) there is no step 10

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Nov 25, 2002, 06:53 PM

or if your computer came with a restore disk mount it open the disk image copy the contents to a folder named OS9 then install your 9.2.2 update disk using clasick mode its a no brainer.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 06:59 PM

LeeG, this won't help his problem since the OS 9 CD won't be able to see the hard drive since there are no OS 9 drivers on it.

IIRC you can use the OS 9 CD to add OS 9 drivers to your disk. Once you are booted from the CD, run Drive Utility in the Utilities folder. Select the disk in the drive list. It may appear as "unsupported" and choose Update Drivers from one of the menus (don't remember which). This will add the OS 9 drivers to the disk.

If you want to go the disk image route as suggested, an image around 500MB is sufficient. 1GB is overkill. OS 9 is around 200-400MB depending on what's installed.
Vandelay Industries

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
LeeG, this won't help his problem since the OS 9 CD won't be able to see the hard drive since there are no OS 9 drivers on it.

Eh?
i look in your general direction

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by pliny:

Eh?
If you don't install the OS 9 disk drivers, the OS 9 CD won't recognize the hard disk. Therefore, you can't install OS 9 as LeeG suggested.
Vandelay Industries

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2002, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean about the OS9 drivers, I happenend to be cleaning up all my partitions this past weekend, and phasing out 9, so I formatted my drives, and carbon cloned my Jag installation back, but when I formatted I added OS9 drivers.

You could boot from the OSX CD that came with the computer, then reformat the drive, erase and add OS9 drivers (Yes, OSX disk utility does this), and then clean install OSX. Then reboot with the OS9 CD, and follow directions from earlier. That will give you a clean OSX install with 9 drivers on the disk. Then you should have no problem.

I agree that 1GB is overkill, but I tend to use OS9 so little, that when I do have a program that uses it, and I have a couple, I install it on the classic partition, so I can trash 1 file to remove any trace of OS9 from my Jag installation. And by the same token, I can create a new disk image of any size whenever I want to increase or decrease the OS9 'partition' size - very nice in my mind.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules