Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 1.3: is it real?

Safari 1.3: is it real?
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 04:56 PM

We will never see Safari 1.3 release. It is under development since July/04... I think Apple will wait until Tiger release and Safari 2.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2005, 05:19 PM

There definitely were plans for a Safari 1.3 at one point. However, nothing has been heard from that project in a long time. However, your "under development since July/04" is meaningless; good software takes time, and sometimes it takes a very long time.

To be honest, I can see two possibilities. If Tiger's release is imminent (within the next couple of weeks), then Safari 1.3 has probably been cancelled. If it's going to be several more months, however, then Safari 1.3 will probably ne released at MWSF.

Which will it be? Your guess is as good as mine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 07:38 PM

This has been discussed to death in the past.
( Last edited by Angus_D; Jan 9, 2005 at 02:43 PM. )

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 08:10 PM

MWSF release.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
MWSF release.
Ditto�

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 03:24 AM

Of course it will come out at MWSF. Omniweb 5.1 came out, and there's no way Apple would allow them to have the same version of Webcore as Safari for very long.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by nickm:
Of course it will come out at MWSF. Omniweb 5.1 came out, and there's no way Apple would allow them to have the same version of Webcore as Safari for very long.
Just wondering: why would Apple not want to allow OW to have the same Webcore as Safari?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 04:19 AM

He was kidding. Omni just finished getting Safari 1.2's rendering engine integrated, so it would be funny if Apple released an entirely new version in a week.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
He was kidding.
Awww... no big and wild conspiracy theory?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
To be honest, I can see two possibilities. If Tiger's release is imminent (within the next couple of weeks), then Safari 1.3 has probably been cancelled. If it's going to be several more months, however, then Safari 1.3 will probably ne released at MWSF.
3) Since Safari 1.3 uses the same rendering core as Safari 2.0, 1.3 will be released for 10.3.x users when Safari 2.0 is released for 10.4.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

lou91940
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 05:41 PM

I'm just an ordinary Mac user on my 7th one in the last 10 years. I have for the last 2 months been having every slow down and hang up problem, associated with Safari, listed in nearly every forum on practically every web site there is. I've dutifully applied every fix suggested by anyone who seemed to have any ideas. I've dumped files, zapped prams, fixed prefs. installed and reinstalled java whatever, and 10.3.7 ( the long version) twice. I've used version-tracker and Apple's sites to try out Safari add ons. I routinely use Macaroni for house-cleaning and Safari Debug is a permanent menu item for me. I've also downloaded and tried other browsers. Some are ok some are better then ok. But no matter what I try sooner or later Safari slows down and begins to hang again and again and again. But foolish me, I prefer still my Mac's and I prefer, when it seems to be working well after every "fix", Safari. So I am seriously hoping that Safari 1.3 isn't vaporware. If there is one product which would drive me from Mac it's Safari. It's bugginess makes web surfing more like web slogging. Now I'm done ranting and I still don't feel better, maybe a cognac will help.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by lou91940:
I'm just an ordinary Mac user on my 7th one in the last 10 years. I have for the last 2 months been having every slow down and hang up problem, associated with Safari, listed in nearly every forum on practically every web site there is. I've dutifully applied every fix suggested by anyone who seemed to have any ideas. I've dumped files, zapped prams, fixed prefs. installed and reinstalled java whatever, and 10.3.7 ( the long version) twice. I've used version-tracker and Apple's sites to try out Safari add ons. I routinely use Macaroni for house-cleaning and Safari Debug is a permanent menu item for me. I've also downloaded and tried other browsers. Some are ok some are better then ok. But no matter what I try sooner or later Safari slows down and begins to hang again and again and again. But foolish me, I prefer still my Mac's and I prefer, when it seems to be working well after every "fix", Safari. So I am seriously hoping that Safari 1.3 isn't vaporware. If there is one product which would drive me from Mac it's Safari. It's bugginess makes web surfing more like web slogging. Now I'm done ranting and I still don't feel better, maybe a cognac will help.
Easy fix if it really is Safari: don't use Safari (try Camino, Omniweb, or Firefox instead)

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by lou91940:
and 10.3.7 ( the long version) twice.
Was there any difference?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:40 PM

The safari 1.3 beta's are a zillion times faster. It has been my main browser for months.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 10:37 PM

1.3's speed sounds very encouraging.

I also recommend trying camino - its a great browser, but (I believe) due to the rendering engine, when you scroll with the arrow keys, the processor use goes up HUGE, and slows right down. Unfortunate-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2005, 06:13 AM

The MWSF is here and no Safari 1.3...

I don't understand why Apple is doing it with X users. You can only update your web browser if you buy a new OS.

I'm trying Camino now. It's fast and does not crash like Safari. Camino is FREE.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
The MWSF is here and no Safari 1.3...

I don't understand why Apple is doing it with X users. You can only update your web browser if you buy a new OS.
Perhaps they didn't release 1.3 because it isn't finished yet?

I don't see a need to develop Safari 1.3 if they don't intend to release it, and since it uses the same rendering core as Safari 2.0 it makes sense to release both versions at the same time.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules