Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Transferring a user folder between computers

Transferring a user folder between computers
desertmac
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2005, 08:42 PM

My partner has an old i-Book on its last legs. I have a 12" PB that I will give her. Can I just copy her user folder from the iBook over to the PB or is there a more complicated process I need to use to transfer her files?

John

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 10:40 PM

I'm going to recommend you look at this thread that was opened yesterday:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=247514

It's similar enough to get you started.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 11:20 PM

Or, alternatively, create a user on the new machine with the same username and password, then put the new machine in Firewire target disk mode, and attach it to the old machine, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the users folder from the old machine to the new machine.

I've done this and it works.

Note: This only works if you want to copy all the users from the old machine (assuming there's only one in this case) because CCC doesn't do sub-directories.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 12:05 AM

Alternatively, you could hook them up via Firewire, start the Mac OS install on the new computer, and it should prompt you to see if you want to basically copy the entire contents of the old machine to the new one. Worked wonders when my dad recently upgraded from an old G3 iBook to a G4 iBook.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. I think I'll try the CCC option and see how that goes.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by desertmac:
Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. I think I'll try the CCC option and see how that goes.
Like mentioned in the other thread, the UID is critical. If you don't have the same UID for the users in question, then CCC isn't going to do what you want. The new user won't have permission to access the folder, even though it's in the right place. You have to compare NetInfo UID values to make sure they are the same.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2005, 04:19 PM

indeed. i basically did it all by hand this week because i needed a certain UID for NFS filesharing to work. Now i know what i was doing and it still wasn't a ballpark thing. I would definetly advise using the Mac OS Setup assistent and a firewire cable and let the SetupAssistent do it. (post 10.3.6 is required for this i think???)

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Forum Links
Forum Rules