Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toy Story 3 - Rave reviews

Toy Story 3 - Rave reviews (Page 2)
hayesk
Jun 21, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I wouldn't call Bugs Life or Cars failures... but both are pretty "meh".
Cars is my 3 year old's favourite movie. He's seen it about 30 times - I've watched it with him about 10+ times. Surprisingly, it holds up to re-watching quite well. Though it was never my favourite Pixar movie, it is still entertaining after watching it again and again.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 12:43 PM

I really enjoy Cars. In particular, I find the sound design stunning, as well as the modeling of the vehicles and how they interact with their environment.

finboy
Jun 21, 2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Long live Sheriff Woody Pride, To Infinity and Beyond!
3D would have been a little too much -- Avatar gave me a 3-day headache.

This was clearly the best of the three IMO, but it is a little intense in places. My daughter (3) said "I did see scary monkey" all weekend, interspersed with "To Infinity & Beyond," a favorite for a few years now. This probably impressed her because I was trying not to laugh too loud at some of the jokes with old toys. It's well worth the time to see it projected, but be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster.

OT: I'm not sure what all the hate for Cars is about, but it's not new. It's a great film. Coming from a NASCAR background (they leave out the moonshine heritage) I think it's brilliant. Sure it's an ego piece for Lasseter, but so what? The kids love it too. The thing has done something like $10B in merchandising, amazing.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2010, 01:08 PM

Cars had very obvious tie-ins for toys.

We've done the ratings before, but cars very rarely gets replayed in my house. Ratatouille was enjoyable but also doesn't get replay.

Nemo and Toy Story still rule.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 03:23 PM

Haven't seen Toy Story 3 yet but The Incredibles is still my favorite Pixar movie.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 06:30 AM

$110 million on the first w/e. This is gonna be BIG guys.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2010, 09:53 AM

That's what she said.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It was really neat that things lined up chronologically for the voice actor of Andy in all the films to be the same age as Andy in this film.
Huh! That's a really neat detail. Thanks for pointing that out!
John Morris (III) on IMDB
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
$110 million on the first w/e. This is gonna be BIG guys.
Keep track of this for us would ya? Let us know how it performs against Avatar.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 05:09 PM

It's not going to beat Avatar because it's not that gimmicky, but it will do well.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 06:32 PM

There's no way a bunch of talking toys are gonna beat naked, tree-hugging furries.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 09:34 PM

FWIW, I saw it in 2D. Not a huge fan of 3D, but I'll probably suck it up in December for Tron.

Aric
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2010, 02:11 PM

went and took my kids to see this in 3D, i must say that the 3D technology has come a long way since the last movie i saw....Jaws 3D! yeah i'm old, anyway i think this was my favorite of all 3 toy story movies. pixar does a really good job of putting a story together when i'm sure they could've still had a hit with a rushed mediocre storyline.

as far as all the 3D hype nowadays, i'm not for it, i just wanted to finally see what it's all about, plus the kids wanted to see it too. by the middle of the movie i was too much into the story that i forgot it was in 3D.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Haven't seen Toy Story 3 yet but The Incredibles is still my favorite Pixar movie.
I saw Toy Story 3 the other night and The Incredibles is still my favorite Pixar movie (although Up is right there with it).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah, The Incredibles is probably the favorite of most of us adult male Pixar fans, I'd imagine, since it's action packed, comic book-like and has more grown-up themes and tone in comparison to any of the other Pixar films.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 02:30 AM

So I saw it in 3D. The 3D was so subtle, I forgot about it. I don't think it added anything to the movie, so it basically made the movie more expensive for nothing.

Otherwise, awesome flick. Laughed out loud. Scary at points, sad at points.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 10:33 PM

I saw it in 2D. I figured it wasn't going to be a big 3D gimmicky movie, and even the littlest of 3D in a movie gives me a headache. But yeah it was great as a complete package. I do still prefer The Incredibles. My favourite PART of a Pixar movie though is the first part of WALL-E. That just blew me away. A whole new level in cinema, which almost made me feel as a giddy as when I saw Luxo for the first time back in the 80s or Toy Story in 1995.

Oh and I agree that Toy Story 3 will not beat Avatar (even though I think it's a much better movie than Avatar). Remember that Avatar (in nominal dollars) is the highest grossing movie of all time, hitting ~$749.6 million domestic so far. If Avatar manages to stick in the theatres a couple more months, it may actually break that $0.75 billion mark. While Toy Story 3 is the best opener for Pixar for all time at $118 million and handily beat Avatar at its opening, it's rather unlikely the movie will have sufficient staying power.

That said, Toy Story 3 has already topped $300 million, which means it's ALREADY #2 in Pixar's history, ahead of Up, but behind Finding Nemo. For this reason I could see Toy Story 3 easily beat $400 million and approach $500 million.

By the way, it was cool to see Totoro in TS3. I don't know how many noticed, but that really brought a smile to my face. I've never actually seen that Studio Ghibli movie, but I'll have to rent it now.

andi*pandi
Jul 12, 2010, 10:49 AM

Saw it yesterday. We all cried except the little, who proclaimed during the playtime emotional moment, "I want a milk cup!"

Maybe it's being a parent, but I found it emotional on different levels. Giving stuff up, growing up, watching your kids do the same. Had a chat with my kid after about how you can't save everything. He's a crow now, will not let me throw/donate things... but I think he realizes that we don't have an attic and not everything from childhood can be souvenir'd.

I noticed totoro, but did not spot Sid. When we get the DVD will watch carefully. Hoping there will be a 3 DVD set with bonus features etc.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2010, 11:15 AM

Apparently we missed a lot of things.

Easter Eggs

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2010, 01:52 PM

Toy Story 3 is now the top grossing movie of 2010, with a domestic total of $342 million.

snoppyGurl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2010, 04:06 AM

It was just as good as the other two in my opinion. I wasn't disappointed.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2010, 08:10 PM

It was so original! The toys got lost and had to get home.

Oh, wait...

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2010, 04:54 PM

i think it appeals to people who have lost their jobs
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules