Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread!

Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread! (Page 10)
redcalx
Oct 3, 2003, 02:59 PM

I ordered on the 25th and was supposed to ship yesterday (2nd)... I got a delay email apple so I called to cancel the order. When I get them on the phone they told me (first that it was delayed until oct 14) and then later that it was finished being built and would ship within the next 2 or 3 days did I want to keep my order.

I feel I've been lied to but if it doesnt ship by monday I'm cancelling. I'm sick of Apple right now.

pptiger
Oct 3, 2003, 03:10 PM

I have the same question too. My Al arrived Chicago this morning, will they deliver to my place tomorrow, or I have to wait until next Monday?

Originally posted by dcsmrgun:
Does Airborne keep Saturday or Sunday business hours? I as because I'm guessing they're getting ready to ship my Al from Taiwan to the USA, but I'm guessing it won't happen until tomorrow at earliest -- Saturday. I don't expect them to deliver to my house on the weekend, but what are the odds that they're actually making industrial shipments with crates of powerbooks?

Blackstealth
Oct 3, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by mattcass:
For everyone waiting for their orders, any of you have it bumped back a second time?
Yeah, call it three times now. I've already told you about the e-mail I got to say my order would ship in the second week of October. Today I've had two more e-mails, the first told me it would be shipping in the first week of October, the second told me it'd be shipping in the third week of October.

I'm gonna call the Apple Store in the morning and play merry hell with them until I get a straight answer

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Blackstealth:
Yeah, call it three times now. I've already told you about the e-mail I got to say my order would ship in the second week of October. Today I've had two more e-mails, the first told me it would be shipping in the first week of October, the second told me it'd be shipping in the third week of October.

I'm gonna call the Apple Store in the morning and play merry hell with them until I get a straight answer

I got this from Apple a couple of hours ago:

With reference to your recent order, we apologise for the delay that you
have experienced in receiving this order. We plan to ship your order in the
third week of October.

WTF is this ****!? I ordered a PB 15.2" 1.25Ghz/BTO the 19th of September. I also got told that the order was marked with high priority. I called them yesterday and they told me to expect to get it around the 8th of October.

I'm disappointed and frusturated because I really need this machine for my studies. I have tried to stretch it, but now I'll probably cancel it.. and order something that runs Linux. Damn f*ckers.
--hengx

smitty825
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2003, 10:30 PM

I ordered mine through a local Authorized Apple Resaler on Sept. 18. (15", 1.25, 512 (1 stick), Combo Drive) on Sept. 18. (I was there while they placed it in the system).

Anyway, it's been over 2 weeks, so I was curious to why I haven't received it yet. I went into the store after work today to find out when I could expect it...

The owner logs onto the system, and tells me "it's still in the 'Open' state". It's been 2 weeks, and it hasn't shipped yet! Since it was after 5PM on a Friday, I'm going to have to wait 'till monday for the owner to call Apple and find out what the story is...and I'll have to listen to all of your stories about how great the 15" is!

(I'm assuming, under a best case scenario, the soonest I could get my new 'book is about a week from now? --> Shipped Monday, 2 days across Pacific, 2 days in customs, 1 day to me?)

Waveman
Oct 3, 2003, 10:37 PM

I've been waiting for a PowerBook to replace the one I sent back on Monday. The ship date was supposed to be on or before 10/3. Now it's been changed to 10/15, which is a real disappointment.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the display problems, which is what made me send the computer back to begin with.

oooohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 11:01 PM

Waveman, we seem to be in the same boat.

I had two white spots on my original Aluminum PB 15... was debating whether or not to ask for a replacement, and eventually decided to go ahead with it. Sent in the PB on Monday, was told a new one would ship out by Friday (today), but instead I just got an e-mail saying it would ship on or before 10/15.

I hope your guess is right, that these delays are happening because they're working out the problems they have with the displays...

Pissed Off
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 11:39 AM

Airborne is lame. I received shipment notification and tracking number on Oct. 1., the tracking number still does not work! Call Airborne and all they can say that it is in transit and should arrive sometime next week!

MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 12:14 PM

I just followed up with Airborne because I still could not use the tracking number provided by Apple to view online (yesterday they told me I would be able to track my individual shipment 24 hours after it cleared customs-which happened yesterday). I was told that my shipment will arrive on Tuesday. This time I was told that I could not follow my individual package online...

Anyway, I can't wait for Tuesday!

I ordered a BTO 1.25GHz, 15" PB, 5400rpm, SuperDrive, 1-512 stick on 9/22, originally scheduled to ship 9/29. My ship date was bumped to 10/6, but then my shipment notification arrived on 10/1, cleared customs on 10/3, arrives on 10/7.

pptiger
Oct 4, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by MacFreak:
I just followed up with Airborne because I still could not use the tracking number provided by Apple to view online (yesterday they told me I would be able to track my individual shipment 24 hours after it cleared customs-which happened yesterday). I was told that my shipment will arrive on Tuesday. This time I was told that I could not follow my individual package online...

Anyway, I can't wait for Tuesday!

I ordered a BTO 1.25GHz, 15" PB, 5400rpm, SuperDrive, 1-512 stick on 9/22, originally scheduled to ship 9/29. My ship date was bumped to 10/6, but then my shipment notification arrived on 10/1, cleared customs on 10/3, arrives on 10/7.
Seems like our PBs are on the same progress (Shipped from Taiwan on Oct. 1, arrived Chicago on Oct. 3). I guess I don't need to call Airborne but just wait home on Tuesday. Thanks

jpmunson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 11:49 PM

Everyone,

I posted into the main Powerbook discussion area concerning a proposal for anyone willing to engage in a one-for-one swap for my 17-inch Powerbook.

Since I travel quite a bit, I am realizing that the 17-inch model is a bit too big for my needs.

I'm based in Milwaukee, WI and would prefer to swap for a 15" Aluminum model with simlar specs, such as the SuperDrive and the lighted keyboard.

You can keep the 80 GB hard drive if you'd like.

See the main discussion for more details.

Thanks,

Jason

dcsmrgun
Oct 6, 2003, 05:16 PM

So here I am, 3/4 of the way through my "ship on/before" date of 10/06 with no word on anything from Apple. I'm dreading the email because I know the gist will read "we're having too much fun playing in piles of your money to get up and ship your notebook. we'll get around to it".

Er, I mean.. It'll read that its delayed

Then again, there's still 7 hours left in the day..

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 05:40 PM

What exactly did you order? What customizations?

I had a shipped on or before date of the 6th also and it shipped on the 4th

I ordered: 1.25/60GB 4200/Combo Drive

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 06:34 PM

I am pleased to note that I just took delivery of my new PowerBook. I am typing this on my new Bluetooth keyboard. Pictures will be available tonight, in a different thread!

Cheers!
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 12:03 AM

My powerbook has arrived!! So far so good! No latch problem, no white spots. Speedy and great!

-tm

dcsmrgun
Oct 7, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by ownersbox:
What exactly did you order? What customizations?

I had a shipped on or before date of the 6th also and it shipped on the 4th

I ordered: 1.25/60GB 4200/Combo Drive
1gig 15" Al
Stock 60gb 4200
Stock 256MB Ram
Stock Combo Drive
BTO AirExtreme

that's all.

Still no word

offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 03:27 AM

ok get a load of this. this morning my ship date was 10/06. this afternoon my ship date was 10/21. i get home and i finally have a tracking number from airborne express, but it just gives me an error when i try to check it out. a couple hours later i have a ship date that says 10/06 again and the tracking number is gone. then i start pressing reload on my browser and every couple reloads the ship date will change from 10/06 to 10/21 to the airborne tracking number! all randomly.

so everyone try repeatedly pressing reload on your browser and watch your ship date. maybe you too can lose your mind!

btw i was using explorer and mozilla

Waveman
Oct 7, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by offbalance:
ok get a load of this. this morning my ship date was 10/06. this afternoon my ship date was 10/21. i get home and i finally have a tracking number from airborne express, but it just gives me an error when i try to check it out. a couple hours later i have a ship date that says 10/06 again and the tracking number is gone. then i start pressing reload on my browser and every couple reloads the ship date will change from 10/06 to 10/21 to the airborne tracking number! all randomly.

so everyone try repeatedly pressing reload on your browser and watch your ship date. maybe you too can lose your mind!

btw i was using explorer and mozilla
Are you saying that the ship date on Apple's order status site keeps changing, or that the info. on Airborne's site keeps changing?

My PB shipped on 10/4; at first, the tracking number didn't show anything, which I expected. Then, it changed to show my name and address, but nothing about where the shipment was. Now, it's back to showing nothing again.

Apple shouldn't bother sending tracking numbers as long as they use Airborne - they're more annoying than helpful.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 07:22 AM

Apple bumped my shipped date back to 10/10 from 10/1. I just got a shipping notice this morning, yes.

Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by slider:
Apple bumped my shipped date back to 10/10 from 10/1. I just got a shipping notice this morning, yes.
Ordered on 09/25/03 at the Durham NC Apple Store (the store gets credit and also provides Mac Pac since first Mac for my wife). Shipped on Oct 1. Could not check Airborne shipments unless by phone call.

The PB arrived at Noon on Monday Oct 6 consisting of the following:

15"
1.25 Ghz
1 G ram (two slots installed by Apple)
Superdrive
80 G HD with 5400 rpm upgrade

Looks great and now reading manual.

This is second Mac after almost 20 yrs of PC's. Bought iMac 17 in March 2003 and never looked back. The OS X is so superior to MS!!!

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 09:39 AM

Hi...

I just spoke to Apple DK, they told me that my PowerBook 1.25 would ship from the factory any day now. The reason for this delay was a shortage of Airport cards, as been reported around here before. Anyway, I just hope that it happens very soon or I'll go totally bananas.

I said before that I probably would cancel the order and buy a wintel laptop, but that steamed from sheer frusturation. Of course, patience is key and those who wait shall be rewarded... My a**, too hard
--hengx

smitty825
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 09:48 AM

Yesterday I heard from my Apple Authorized Retailer where I ordered my custom machine from. After not thinking it had shipped, I found out is was shipped on Monday from someplace in the US. It is expected to arrive for me to pick up either today or tomorrow!

MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 11:26 AM

I'm happy to post that I have received my powerbook this morning at 9:30 . Everything looks great so far (no latch issues or white spots). Charged up as much as it would go (98%) and am now draining the battery. I was curious if it makes any difference what setting you drain the powerbook on. I have it set to highest performance right now...

I ordered a BTO 1.25GHz, 15" PB, 5400rpm, SuperDrive, 1-512 stick on 9/22, originally scheduled to ship 9/29. My ship date was bumped to 10/6, but then my shipment notification arrived on 10/1, cleared customs on 10/3, arrived today 10/7.

offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 11:32 AM

hey waveman, yeah it was apple's status site that would keep changing. just keep hitting reload....

Blackstealth
Oct 7, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by hengx:
I just spoke to Apple DK, they told me that my PowerBook 1.25 would ship from the factory any day now. The reason for this delay was a shortage of Airport cards, as been reported around here before. Anyway, I just hope that it happens very soon or I'll go totally bananas.
I got the same excuse when I called Apple UK on Monday morning: waiting for Airport cards, meant to ship before the end of this week, marked as highest priority, etc. blah blah blah...

-Matt

redcalx
Oct 7, 2003, 02:06 PM

My powerbook (ordered September 25th) shipped on Sunday (the 5th) and its currently sitting in Winnipeg. I should have it by tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about this... all I need now is an airport basestation for my condo and I should be good.

Anyone know why Apple doesnt offer an educational discount on the base station?

dcsmrgun
Oct 7, 2003, 02:06 PM

BWAH!

I finally got to the bottom of this fiasco.

I called Apple developer hardware purchase program support because the regular 1-800-MY-APPLE folk can't touch my ADC account. I call this morning to ask why a) my system hasn't been shipped, or b) why my 10/06 date hasn't been updated. The guy on the phone told me that there had been a problem with my VISA debit card, most likely that I had hit the daily spending limit, which was incredibly BS-y, since I was $1800 poorer.

At any rate, I called my bank to settle this, perhaps to get them to send Apple some proof of payment, etc. The lady on the phone told me that she couldn't tell me what my daily spending limit was ( ) but that my $1800 purchase was WAY below that limit. She gave me terminal numbers, sequence numbers, auth numbers, etc. I was now armed and ready to do battle with ADC support again.

I call ADC support back (1-800-793-9378 in case anyone needs it) and get a different fellow. I give him my order number and he asks me to hold for a moment. After 5 minutes on hold, he comes back and tells me that there must have been a glitch in the system. Apple received their money, but never linked the debit to my order, so my order would have NEVER shipped. He said the system was already fully built, and would leave Taiwan tonight.

HURRAH. So his estimated 4 or 5 days from now, I should have my new 15". I asked him if he had many callers asking about Airborne, and he bluntly told me that they have been a nightmare, and it was something they were trying to work out.

My order status page says 10/22, but his assurances that it'll leave tonight make me pretty satisfied.

Edit: If I had called last Thursday or Friday, I'd probably have it by now

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 02:40 PM

When its estimated 10-15 days before shipping does this usually mean 15 days or have people had them shipped after 10-11 days?

I'm asking because i've been waiting 10 working days so far and I really need my Powerbook for my Graphic Design course i'm doing now.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 05:53 PM

If your order tracking shows up as an error call Airborne they will correct it.

They just corrected mine and I can see the order details.

G4 Officer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 06:03 PM

I ordered the 15" Al with an Ipod on Sept. 27...
The Ipod came today but no sign for the pb.....
I can't wait no more

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 05:53 AM

I got the same excuse when I called Apple UK on Monday morning: waiting for Airport cards, meant to ship before the end of this week, marked as highest priority, etc. blah blah blah...

-Matt
Hi Matt..

Well I just got this email from Apple that says:

We plan to ship your order in the
second week of October.

Did you receive anything?
--hengx

Blackstealth
Oct 8, 2003, 07:22 AM

Hi Matt..

Well I just got this email from Apple that says:

We plan to ship your order in the
second week of October.

Did you receive anything?
Yep, got one of those this morning (well 11:54pm last night). If it's not followed by yet another 'third week' e-mail then things are looking up

-Matt

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 08:03 AM

ordered my Pb 1.25 superdrive on 26-9
It was picked up and cleared customs in Taipei on the 4-10.
It left the terminal on 6-10...
I'm leaving on Saturday...I hope and pray!

dcsmrgun
Oct 8, 2003, 08:45 AM

Finally got my ship notification.

Today is Wednesday. I hope the PB is at my door on Monday. I don't think they deliver on weekends, and it probably won't be here before Saturday, so. Boh! At least its shipped. If it wasn't for the ADC discount, I'd never go the online store route if I had a choice.

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by korn:
ordered my Pb 1.25 superdrive on 26-9
It was picked up and cleared customs in Taipei on the 4-10.
It left the terminal on 6-10...
I'm leaving on Saturday...I hope and pray!
I bought mine 27-9 it shipped the same day as yours and says picked up at shippers door on 7-10. Mine does not say anything about customs or a terminal, should it???

Thank you

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by ownersbox:
I bought mine 27-9 it shipped the same day as yours and says picked up at shippers door on 7-10. Mine does not say anything about customs or a terminal, should it???

Thank you
I suppose it differs from which country you order it.

Mine is now (8-10) in Luxembourg..
Friday?

Blackstealth
Oct 10, 2003, 11:42 AM

Yep, got one of those this morning (well 11:54pm last night). If it's not followed by yet another 'third week' e-mail then things are looking up
Well, it's almost 5pm on Friday (what I'd call the end of the working week) and no sign of the promised shipment notification from Apple. Lets see what next week brings...

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 12:01 PM

Well, it's almost 5pm on Friday (what I'd call the end of the working week) and no sign of the promised shipment notification from Apple. Lets see what next week brings...
Same thing here
--hengx

smitty825
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 01:21 PM

I finally got mine yesterday! I ordered a 15", 1.25, 512MB (1 stick), 80GB (4200 RPM), Combo drive on 9/18/03. It finally arrived!

The machine is nice, no problems so far, and it's pretty fast!

gomariners
Oct 10, 2003, 08:33 PM

It is here! No white spots. No dead pixels. 3+ hrs battery life. Got a good'un.

dcsmrgun
Oct 10, 2003, 11:58 PM

Still in transit from Taiwan to Il (hasn't changed from 10/8), as far as Airborne can tell. The lady on the phone told me to expect shipment on Monday though. I guess that means it'll probably make it through customs today, and its got the weekend to make it from Illinois to Florida.

So whaddaya think guys? Likely?

Picked up at shipper's door 10/9
In transit from Taipei 10/8

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 12:54 AM

From what i have seen and with my own package it will be the 2nd day after Shippers door notice by 5 with 2nd Day Air.

I unfortunately have to send my Two day old powerbook back, The pixels are fine, no white spots, and the latch works but as luck would have it the Trackpad is DOA. =) Some luck!

Blackstealth
Oct 11, 2003, 04:45 AM

Same thing here
There's hope yet, I got my shipment notification this morning at 8:50 GMT. The order doesn't show up on TNTs tracking page but at least its in a box somewhere with my name on it now.

Fingers crossed it'll arrive by the end of the week...

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 06:43 AM

Hurrah! Mine arrived this morning!

and... No latch problem, no white spots, not even a dead pixel!!! It's beautiful!

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 06:50 AM

I ordered my 17 on the 25th, it supposedly left on the 28th for a delivery date in Perth of the 7th......still waiting

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 07:57 AM

There's hope yet, I got my shipment notification this morning at 8:50 GMT. The order doesn't show up on TNTs tracking page but at least its in a box somewhere with my name on it now.

Fingers crossed it'll arrive by the end of the week...
Hey

I still haven't got any shipment notification, and it's still being assembled. This is so depressing.

Anyway, has anyone here had any experience with a Brenthaven 15" Pro Backpack?
--hengx

abo
Oct 12, 2003, 03:22 AM

I just order a 15" AI book. It's said to ship 28 Oct. Anyone know whether it's likely to be over and under, or is it anyone's guess at this point?

dcsmrgun
Oct 13, 2003, 09:23 AM

Wahoo! Out for delivery!

SO all in all, this wasn't so bad after all. Let's recap:

- Ordered on 9/28 (First "thanks for ordering" email)
- Order accepted on 9/30 (2nd order info email)
- Card verified and charged on 10/2
- No word from apple until I call them 10/7 to ask why no shipment, they acknowledge error on their part.
- Ships 10/8, probably in USA on 10/10, but Airborne does not deliver on weekends
- Out for delivery on 10/13. NO in between tracking info. It went straight from being "on route from taiwan" to "out for delivery" on 10/13.

My wife is at home to accept the package, so I'll take a late lunch to pick this up and toy around with it for a bit before I have to leave for a dinner appointment tonight.

If I had to do it again, as a matter of practice I'd verify every step of the way with Apple. Like on 10/2 I would have called and verified that they had charged my card. If this was the case, the powerbook would probably have been here last week. It costs nothing to take the extra step to verify, and the CSRs are there to help.

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:08 AM

I ordered my 15Al on 10/1
It Shipped one day early on 10/9
Received 10/11

I was surprised on how fast it shipped.

It took two days to ship to me from Taiwan when I only had 3-5 day shipping.
-nate

Blackstealth
Oct 13, 2003, 02:43 PM

Well, Kuehne & Nagel Logistics picked up my PB from the plant in Taiwan on Saturday, but today I got this in my inbox from Apple...

Dear Applestore Customer,

Thank you for your recent Applestore order.

We are happy to advise you that your order is now in transit. Unfortunately
we are experiencing a small delay of approximately 3-4 working days ( in
addition to our original quote of 3-5 working days) on this shipment.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and endeavour to deliver your order
as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Applestore

So end of next week then...

Forum Links
Forum Rules