Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" or 17" Powerbook

15" or 17" Powerbook
gostan
Apr 19, 2004, 03:46 PM

I know that this question has been posed many times. However, with the price cuts on the revised Powerbooks, a 17" is only $300 more. Also, if you do a bto on a 15" and upgraded from 2 dimms to one (an additional $90), then the price difference is only $210.00

I like using one laptop and I do commute back and forth to work. No plane travel. My older eyes are dimming. Am I better off with the 17"?? or is the lower (larger) resolution on the 15" better for these older eyes?

Also, how much faster in everyday use is the 5400 BTO over the 4200 standard hd?

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by gostan:
I like using one laptop and I do commute back and forth to work. No plane travel. My older eyes are dimming. Am I better off with the 17"?? or is the lower (larger) resolution on the 15" better for these older eyes?
Choose the PowerBook that you find the most convenient to carry.

Use Displays to adjust the resolution to suit your vision (if you don't mind anti-aliasing).

nate_02
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 02:04 AM

I was at a TV auction tonight and I was working with graphics guy who has a 17" PB. It was really nice working on a 17" and I would consider one if all I did was graphics, but I would not want to carry it around with me for all my other stuff.

Idealy, if money was not an issue, I would have a 17" for all my graphics/video stuff, then a 12 or 15" for everything else.

If you are not doing graphics or using software that utilizes a 17" widescreen, I would say go with the 15".
-nate

gostan  (op)
Apr 24, 2004, 09:46 AM

I decided upon and ordered a 15" BTO with upgraded 5400 HD and 128 vram with 1 512 memory dimm. Finally decided upon 15.2 because it is more portable for going back and forth to and from work and home, but, more importantly, I like to sit in a leather chair in my den/home theater room with a laptop on my lap. The 17er would probably be far to large and uncomfortable for such use. I will, at some future date, purchase a larger external lcd monitor. Now, I am waiting for Apple to deliver my new albook.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by gostan:
If you don't fly and don't mind the extra weight, the 17" might be right for you. IMO choosing 17" vs 15" is based totally on whether the extra size & weight are too much for you or not.

vsurfer
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 07:51 PM

I have the 15" Tibook-- long commutes with multiple train stations and much walking involved are a chore. I'd go for the smallest unit you can accept if you are going to carry it every day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules