Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > protective sleeve for powerbook ?

protective sleeve for powerbook ?
phobic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 12:35 PM

i really dont want to buy a laptop case. i would like something to slip a 15"Al powerbook into and put it into my plain backpack that does scream out "hey look a laptop come steal me" does that make sense?

thank you, matt

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 12:45 PM

a tucano sleeve is excellent - neoprene sleeve that literally fits like a glove!

AgBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:24 PM

WaterField Designs
http://www.sfbags.com

They make great sleeve cases, I had one for my ibook before, and am thinking if I need one for my new powerbook too. Excellent quality and service, but a bit pricerier than most places.

AgBlue

marusin
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 01:26 PM

Take a look at the sticky above...

Forum Sticky: Laptop bags/sleeves

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 10:00 AM

I second the vote on the Waterfield sleeve - absolutely love mine! Slips into a regular backpack, same as the original poster said, and nobody knows there is a laptop in there. It is well made and attractive. Even gave one to my son and he was able to get rid of the computer backpack (which still yells "computer in here") and go for a smaller bag. He loves his as much as I love mine! Good luck!
Mary

viachiangmai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 01:35 PM

Another Waterfield Designs sleeve owner... it is great. i use a $15 canvas Gap rucksack/backpack and my 15" pb w. sleeve fits right in. The sleeve usually stays in my backpack and is enough protection for my Mac, though i did reinforce the bottom of my backpack with two layers of neoprene from an old diving wetsuit - i'm always putting my backpack on the ground.

i also went to a fabric store, bought some microsuede fabric, and made myself a screen sleeve (very cheap and easy to do!) to keep my screen protected. The interior of the Waterfield sleeve is smooth enough so that when i slide my pb in, the screen protector doesn't wrinkle up.

The Waterfield sleeve is pricier (especially with the flap - which i highly recommend). The other recommendation would be to make a homemade neoprene sleeve out of a folded piece of an old 0.25" thick wetsuit... if you can find one. If your homemade sleeve is ugly... no worries.. just keep it in your backpack when you take out your pb.

Maybe we should start a thread about money saving ways to protect your pb with easy-to-do homemade methods.... hmmm..
my music making partner - 1.25 GHz, 15" Aluminum Powerbook (refurb), 2 GB RAM, MS Bluetooth mouse, sfbags vertical sleeve w. flap

live to love, love to live - you have one life, but if you live it right, once is enough

-Q-
Apr 30, 2004, 02:10 PM

I love the PowerSleeve 15 from Booq. It fits nicely into a backpack or saddlebag and also serves as a nice bag to take the laptop from meeting to meeting.

fener
Apr 30, 2004, 02:14 PM

Definitely buy the MacCase Sleeve.

I have one for 12" and one for the 15".

Its padded, cool looking, very nice.

look at

www.jambags.com

www.maccase.com

costs around 30$ for 12", 40$ for the 15".

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 02:30 PM

Let's stop bumping this post. A simple search or even a quick gander at the sticky posted at the top should answer all of phobic's questions. Do we really need to keep posting the same stuff over and over. Don't mean to be a troll but come on the subject is a sticky. Sorry, had to vent there for a second.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

FWBSales
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Let's stop bumping this post. A simple search or even a quick gander at the sticky posted at the top should answer all of phobic's questions. Do we really need to keep posting the same stuff over and over. Don't mean to be a troll but come on the subject is a sticky. Sorry, had to vent there for a second.

Sure a search would get him an answer, but this way can find out who owns what. I have the Marware powerbook sleeve. . MUCH better than some of the others on here... I like their build quality better to.
later

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 05:07 PM

all of those are a bit too bulky for my taste--i'm trying to protect the pb from the other stuff in my bag, not the arctic. i found that the mitre from tom binh suit me perfectly. no straps, no handles, just solid padding all around to keep the thing from bumping around too much. as an added bonus, it fits perfectly into my north face backpack, so much so that people have asked me where i got a north face bag with a laptop sleeve.

only problem is that it didn't come with that cool "we didn't vote for the president" tag.

Kevlar
Apr 30, 2004, 08:43 PM

www.sfbags.com

It's all you need to know.
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 08:56 PM

For a messenger bag, the Timbuk2 sleeve cannot be beat. Waterfield Designs makes a great product also, but it is not as protective as the Timbuk2. For a padded backpack/sleeve system, I'd recommend www.spireusa.com It is very padded and very stealth.

I actually own most of the bags/sleeves out there and each have their individual merits.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 09:03 PM

I like the versatility of the Incase sleeves myself. More of a nylon-like material outside, soft padding inside. It has a small divider for a few papers if needed, and a pouch on the outside that is perfect for the power adapter. The other advantage is that it comes with a shoulder strap, so it can be a stand-alone case if you want to use it that way (which I do sometimes).
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by ndpatel:
all of those are a bit too bulky for my taste--i'm trying to protect the pb from the other stuff in my bag, not the arctic. i found that the mitre from tom binh suit me perfectly. no straps, no handles, just solid padding all around to keep the thing from bumping around too much. as an added bonus, it fits perfectly into my north face backpack, so much so that people have asked me where i got a north face bag with a laptop sleeve.

only problem is that it didn't come with that cool "we didn't vote for the president" tag.
yeah, tom bihn is cool. I've got a mitre for a 17" and it slips right into my flight bag and keeps the 17" from getting beat up. Works very well if I just want to grab the 17" by itself -- protects the unit and is cool looking.

phobic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 10:46 PM

Thank you all for the great responses. i knew i wasnt the only one out there looking to carry my powerbook in a more stealthy way

khemani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 01:02 AM

You should consider the protective sleeves from Tom Bihn. They carry the Monolith, which is a vertical design protective sleeve, and the Brain Cell, which is a horizontal design protective sleeve. Your Powerbook is essentially suspended in a protective thick foam and surrounded by protective hard corrugated plastic.

If you're considering a nice backpack, Tom Bihn also makes backpacks. I use the Smart Alec Backpack, the Size 4 Monolith, and an organizer known as the Freudian Slip to protect my 15" Al Powerbook and organize my stuff.

To read my review of the Smart Alec backpack and the Monolith, please see:

Smart Alec, Monolith and Freudian Slip Review

Also:

Tom Bihn Website

The Monolith

The Brain Cell

The Smart Alec

Hope this helps. Don't be shy to ask if you have questions.

iomatic
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 01:54 AM

Being the bag fetishist I am, I've also experienced a few slipcase/sleeve type things for various PowerBooks/iBooks:

Waterfield Design cases are customizable; I'm using one now for my new 12" PowerBook, but I'm going to have to hand the top billing to:

booq bags' case for the 15", with clasp design. Quiet, no fuss, and just enough room for a few extras (power supply, video adapter, extra DVD-R/CD-R).

Timbuk2's old sleeves worked quite well, but lacked padding on the top, which is a bit of a bad design idea. They've since corrected it.

spire products, I've also used, and found quite the opposite; the boot bag did not protect corners and edges as much as I thought it should have, and the small backpack (atom, I believe) felt a bit lacking in material quality and build. Also, it's nice to find little hidden extras like with my DaKine pack (hidden pockets, audio/water bladder feed holes, etc.) but that's another topic entirely.

There's my experience.

( Last edited by iomatic; May 1, 2004 at 02:04 AM. )

emohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 07:05 AM

Hi there...
I do not own a Mac, nor a Mac laptop, yet...
However... Check this out for a sleeve/case:

www.sjdesign.com

The "LapTrap" and "LapTrap Grande" look fairly useful because they are not full size cases yet they hold a little more then a sleeve would.

Eddie

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 12:45 PM

Oh yeah, depending upon your style and where you want to carry the computer, consider a bag from Tumi. They're awesome - really designed more as a "professional's" bag, with room for business extras and they're somewhat classy imho.

http://www.tumi.com/search/index.cfm...&sub_site_id=3

gostan
May 1, 2004, 02:59 PM

I have a Waterfield Designs sleevecase. Gary & gang do a bang up high quality job.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2004, 03:46 PM

Yes, Waterfield all the way! I've gotten sleeves for both the Titanium and a 17". You can custom order with or without top flap and/or strap. I use the slieeve inside a Tumi bag for maximum protection and never had a problem in three years of constant travel.

Originally posted by gostan:
I have a Waterfield Designs sleevecase. Gary & gang do a bang up high quality job.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by g3_brandon:
I like the versatility of the Incase sleeves myself. More of a nylon-like material outside, soft padding inside. It has a small divider for a few papers if needed, and a pouch on the outside that is perfect for the power adapter. The other advantage is that it comes with a shoulder strap, so it can be a stand-alone case if you want to use it that way (which I do sometimes).
I've gone for the same option, so I can transport the PB in both the incase sleeve in my rucksack to and from work, and use the sleeve (plus straps) on its own to carry the PB between giving my lectures.. now all I have to do is wait for both the PB and Sleeve to be delivered

Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

Chulo
May 2, 2004, 08:35 PM

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I have a sleeve from Radtech that's made of a soft fabric that fit's my Al15" like a glove. It makes the Powerbbok feels very secure and definitely protects it from any scratches that may occur in my bacpack or even the briefcase I put it in.

It's not made to protect it from bumps or drops but its exactly what I need to protect it from those minor annoyances while keeping any preying eyes from realizing I'm carrying a laptop.

Hope this helps.

reybart
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 10:00 PM

Waterfield sleeves. I have both on my 15 Ti and my new 12 Al.

nick_coday
May 2, 2004, 10:16 PM

I would highly recommend the new timbuk2 laptop sleeves.

I have some pictures posted over at my website:
http://www.ncoday.com/Mac_Stuff/Timbuk2_Case/index.html

Timbuk2's Website for the sleeve:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/c...?categoryId=21

It is a perfect fit for the 15" Al Pb. Lots of padding and I like the handles too.

I paid $49 and they have many colors available.

Timbuk2 also has a bigger laptop tote over on their website:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/c...?categoryId=24
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules