Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Superdrive Door Problem

Superdrive Door Problem
cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 09:28 PM

Has anyone else had a problem with their Superdrive drive mechanism hanging on the metal door as it comes out. Mine works sometimes and then stops working, and then works again. Could this just be because of a misalignment, or does it point to larger problems?

Nick

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 03:28 AM

I had this on a nightmare G5 refurb from hell I had. Apparently this particular issue is something they see often... I took it in and had them fix it (it was in for other things, too). I tried messing with it myself several times and managed to make it better but not fix it. If it's possible, take it in. If not, I'd look at trying to find a new set of standoffs -- you need just a couple extra mm of height at the back end of the drive and the whole thing should be aimed better.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 09:03 PM

The drive just needs to be reseated. Take it into an ACSP or Apple Store. They should be able to just remove the drive and reseat it, making sure that all for screws are properly seated. It is something you may be able to do as well.

This may occur if the incorrect standoff screws were used for you superdrive. The Sony drive takes the Hex screws and the Toshiba drive gets Philips Screws. But if you have the incorrect ones, reseating it should be fine.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules