Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how come I don't have Expos�

how come I don't have Expos�
Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 10:03 AM

I have a PB G4 1.25 with osx 10.3.7. I recently got a new Logitech mx900 bt mouse. In trying to find out how to get all the extra buttons to work I looked in the peripherals forum to find out the best way to use this and they talked about Expos�. I went to my applications folder and i don't see Expos�. I did a search of my system and don't see it. Expos�. I thought maybe I could just download it from the apple site, but it appears that it is just part of OSX.3. Do I not have it because I have a powerbook and I the F9 and F10 are already being used for the keyboard lights?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 10:14 AM

Expose is part of the OS, not a separate application. You will find it in your System Preferences however.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 11:32 AM

on your powerbook hold the fn key and then press the f9, f10, f11 keys.
holding the fn key will switch the function keys from the brightness, volume, keyboard, etc, to the actual fnumber keys.

you can switch this so that holding fn will make the function keys the brightness, etc, by going clicking the apple (top left corner) > system preferences > keyboard and mouse > check the box that says "use the F1-F12 keys for custom actions"

while you are in system preferences you can go to the expose preference (should be under personal at the top).
in there you can assign a screen corner (moving the mouse into a corner of the screen) for expose or assign a different keyboard shortcut.

i have my expose set to show the desktop if i move the mouse to the top right corner, show all windows for the bottom right, show an application's window for the bottom left, and the screen saver for the top left.

i hope this helps.

ryju
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 12:12 PM

The OS X manual is a great resource.

Holding down the Fn key allows you to use the Function keys up top.

P
Dec 29, 2004, 08:55 PM

You can use the Expose settings in System Prefs to set Expose to one of the extra buttons. To answer the more general question of what to do with the buttons, use Logitech's control center (included with the mouse) or USB Overdrive. Let me explain how I have mine set up for my Mx510, which is a similar mouse buttonwise:

* Top two buttons as usual
* Wheel as usual. Clicked wheel is scrolling horizontally.
* Clicking the wheel is middle-clicking, useful in browsers and X11
* Fourth button, the first on the thumb, is Enter for quickly acknowledging dialogs - ther are too many that need that.
* Fifth is tab when I use it under Windows, to switch buttons. On my Mac, it's Esc to cancel in those dialogs.
* Sixth is the one on top, with the windows on it. I use it for Expose all windows, I think that's what it was intended for.
* Seventh and eighth are the ones above and below the wheel. I use them for page up and page down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules