Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > should I return my new PB it has one

should I return my new PB it has one
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:27 PM

bad pixel? If you spent 2200 bux on a laptop and it had a bad pixel would you return it?

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:34 PM

Sorry, but good luck trying to get Apple to exchange/replace a laptop with a dead pixel. Some people were successful, and some weren't. Its Apple's policy to replace the screen if it has 3 or more dead pixels, and I too understand, you spend over $2,000 for a computer and has a dead pixel... Have you tried to "rub" it? Sometimes it goes away.
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by ero2:
should I return my new PB it has one bad pixel? If you spent 2200 bux on a laptop and it had a bad pixel would you return it?
I surely would. Like fan noise, having an out-of-place dot would drive me bonkers after a little while. If sometimes you can get a laptop replaced with just one dead pixel and sometimes you can't, as tungtied07 mentions, then it sounds like the trick is just talking to the right rep and being really nice. I'd bet you can get someone to replace it for you.

Mark

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:47 PM

yeah but I just bought it yesterday, and it was a refreshed one, your telling me they won't let me return it?

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:59 PM

Sometimes... It depends, if your only reason is the dead pixel, it will be hard, but most Apple Store workers are usually understanding will might swap it out for you.
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 10:09 PM

This is why I'm afraid to order a Powerbook from the Apple Online Store. If you order from the Online Store and get a dead or stuck pixel you're probably stuck with it. If you purchase from an Apple Retail Store there is more of a chance you can get it replaced.

theBlend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
This is why I'm afraid to order a Powerbook from the Apple Online Store. If you order from the Online Store and get a dead or stuck pixel you're probably stuck with it. If you purchase from an Apple Retail Store there is more of a chance you can get it replaced.
I'll second that. Even getting a BTO from Apple scares me. You'd have better luck at an Apple Store or a good Apple reseller in your area.

As for your problem, good luck. BTW, do you mean 1.67GHz by 'refreshed', or did you mean 'refurbished'?
[FONT=Verdana]Dual 30" ACDs, PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz 4.5GB RAM
15" PB 1.5GHz 2GB RAM, 4G 20GB iPod w/Colour[/FONT]

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 12:01 AM

well I am back from the apple store, got a new 1.67 superdrive, stock. Moving everything over again right now. Need to order some RAM as well. They were real cool about it, said they understand and the manager took care of it, no restocking fee but did inform me that apples standard is 5 dead pixels before replacement, but I had another problem with it last night, when i first turned it on, it said CANNOT FIND KEYBOARD like 12 times, lucky I know how to reset openfirmware and it was fixed, but gave me a weird feeling about it.

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 12:07 AM

well I am back from the apple store, got a new 1.67 superdrive, stock. Moving everything over again right now. Need to order some RAM as well. They were real cool about it, said they understand and the manager took care of it, no restocking fee but did inform me that apples standard is 5 dead pixels before replacement, but I had another problem with it last night, when i first turned it on, it said CANNOT FIND KEYBOARD like 12 times, lucky I know how to reset openfirmware and it was fixed, but gave me a weird feeling about it.

Thanks for the update! Apple Store people are always understanding, enjoy your new powerbook!!! Please share some pictures too!

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 05:35 PM

Just curious, what Apple store was this at. I bought a 15" two months ago and I too now have one dead pixel, I'm pretty pissed about it. How did you go about explaining to them your situation?

jmagic
Feb 24, 2005, 09:09 PM

no offense, but if you've had it for 2 months, i doubt apple will let you exchange it, if you brought it back the next day, they MIGHT, but their 5 pixel policy is a policy for a reason.

it's not unreasonable either, i've heard that if with having a 1 pixel exchange policy could increase lcd prices greatly, and could drive up pbook prices
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 01:23 AM

I purchased a refurb laptop 6 years ago, and when I first turned it on I noticed the dead pixel right smack dab in the center of the screen. Its only really noticible when I watch a dvd on the laptop, something I rarely do. I got over it pretty quickly, and it really hasn't been an issue since.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 11:18 AM

Also, you bought a new unit. Can't be returned or repaired with a stuck pixel. That's the industry for displays otherwise the prices would be outrageous. You could have for a restocking fee. The original poster states that he bought a refresh so it is already opened and he saved 10%. That simply washes the restocking fee as the next person can buy at the same 10% below original price as well.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 06:49 PM

I'm always amazed at the amount of people that pop out of the woodwork and say that it is normal and prices would be out of this world if we all did this...

face it - apple laptops *are* expensive - move expensive than their windows counterparts.

i'd return it. try it and be nice. then raise hell. then call your credit card company and decline payment. I would.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'm always amazed at the amount of people that pop out of the woodwork and say that it is normal and prices would be out of this world if we all did this...
What they're trying to say is that if LCD units left the factory with absolutely 0 dead pixels the cost of making them would be enormous. At 1280x854, even if 99.9999% (yes all 4 9's past the decimal- it's no exaggeration) of all the pixels were perfect there would still be 1 dead pixel on the screen. Manufacturers cannot make LCD's at that kind of reliability and keep their prices at their current levels. In fact, there isn't much of anything that can be made at 99.9999% reliability on an industrial scale.

And yes, I do believe that if EVERY person with 1 bad pixel or more on their PB returned it to the store, Apple would have to raise their prices to match.

Not to say that this policy doesn't suck though- but sadly it is a reality of current technology. Apple has a very clearly outlined policy on dead pixels and if taken to the court level you would have a really tough time winning.

Ruahrc

A tip to buyers of external LCD monitors: shop around at various websites and check out their dead pixel policies. Some of them offer a 0 dead pixel policy and they can still keep their prices reasonable. I bought my 15" LCD from such a site a while back and luckily did not need it but I could have exchanged it even if 1 bad pixel was on the screen.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
What they're trying to say is that if LCD units left the factory with absolutely 0 dead pixels the cost of making them would be enormous. At 1280x854, even if 99.9999% (yes all 4 9's past the decimal- it's no exaggeration) of all the pixels were perfect there would still be 1 dead pixel on the screen. Manufacturers cannot make LCD's at that kind of reliability and keep their prices at their current levels. In fact, there isn't much of anything that can be made at 99.9999% reliability on an industrial scale.

And yes, I do believe that if EVERY person with 1 bad pixel or more on their PB returned it to the store, Apple would have to raise their prices to match.

Not to say that this policy doesn't suck though- but sadly it is a reality of current technology. Apple has a very clearly outlined policy on dead pixels and if taken to the court level you would have a really tough time winning.

Ruahrc

A tip to buyers of external LCD monitors: shop around at various websites and check out their dead pixel policies. Some of them offer a 0 dead pixel policy and they can still keep their prices reasonable. I bought my 15" LCD from such a site a while back and luckily did not need it but I could have exchanged it even if 1 bad pixel was on the screen.
this pisses people off the most because they have to look at it every day. It wouldn't be as bad if it were a dent on the bottom of the powerbook or a dead sleep like which mine came with out of the box. It's like buying a new car and there's a chip, crack or scratch on the driver side windshield. Also being Apple with their exceptionally higher prices people have exceptionally higher expectations with it comes to quality.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2005, 05:17 AM

The key difference is that an auto manufacturer CAN afford to ensure that each and every windshield they make is completely free of defects, and still sell it at a reasonable price. Manufacturers of LCD panels simply cannot afford to throw out every single LCD panel that has even just 1 dead pixel on it. The prices of LCD's would be probably 5 times as high as they are now. The more "9"'s you add to the reliability of making a perfect LCD the more the cost- and usually on an exponential scale when nearing the magical 100% mark.

Even Apple and their exceptionally higher prices cannot afford to ensure perfect LCD's without even more exceptionally higher prices than they are now. I understand (and agree with) your point about it sucking, but what I see is that you (and most likely a lot of others) don't understand how much more expensive LCD's would cost if the manufacturer had to guarantee 0 dead pixels.

Ruahrc

Forum Links
Forum Rules