Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Windows Network Domain Conflict With Macs

Windows Network Domain Conflict With Macs
gostan
May 13, 2005, 08:24 AM

So, a recent job change has me working with windows xp on an IBM ThinkCentre desktop in a small office environment. I thought that it would be very simple to hook up my PowerBook on the network and place the windows machine on the backburner.

Wrong Again. Our outside office computer consultant advises me that when he initially set up the server it was never intended to be used with Macs so the internal domain for the company was set up as company.local, which he now says conflicts with a lot of Apple programs which also use the .local address.

I am advised that the choice is to attempt to configure the PowerBook to work on the lan with limited funcionality or to redo the internal domain on the server-which he says is quite involved, expensive and time consuming and requires the reinstallation of the network operating system on the server. He was able (after tinkering for awhile) to get the powerbook to receive and send emails (private account-not company account) and to get on the local network, but he has not been able to get me on the network on safari or internet explorer.

Any ideas or suggestions? And please don't suggest Virtual PC.
My upgrade to Tiger and the wonderful abilities of Spotlight make this a more important fix now. And Windows XP is ughhhhhhh!

Thanks
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

larkost
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 06:57 PM

You could try and access everything with ip addresses. This is not a good solution, and there will be times that things simply are not possible due to the really poor choice of using .local (this has been in the standards as reserved for the sort of thing Apple uses it for for a long time).

You should be able to get onto the internet perfectly... it sounds like there might be a proxy server setup, and he needs to enter things in properly there...

Forum Links
Forum Rules