Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 2405FP: 24" widescreen 1920x1200 with video in and flash reader for $1200

Dell 2405FP: 24" widescreen 1920x1200 with video in and flash reader for $1200 (Page 2)
southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Still waiting for that photo of side by side 24".

BZ
I have not forgot about you either. I just do not have a desk at this time to put them both on together. The butcher block I bought to make a desk out of wil be in at the end of this month and I have to sand and stain it. My office is trashed but i will see if I can find a way to set them up side-by-side to take a picture. Of course, I will have to submit a far nicer one in the future in a proper setup.

I promise I will get that pic.......
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 03:45 PM

The company has been around for a few years, and the site seems to be updated rather often with new products, so if it's fake, it's a damn good one.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 01:59 PM

I know last year on the screensavers (beofre moving to LA and it really sucking) they had one on there that worked. Pretty cool but the only complaint on that one (was an older design) was the big seperator between the screens. By the looks on the website pictures they have dramatically reduced the size of the seperator so it is not as near of an issue. Then again nothing is as bad as teh space btween seperate monitor setups and that is considered to be no big deal.
- TiBook 867mhz

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by CIA
The company has been around for a few years, and the site seems to be updated rather often with new products, so if it's fake, it's a damn good one.
Yes, but they have almost as much drama with their thousands-of-dollar products that macmice has with their under $50 products Yet, to macmice's credit the owner is someone you can actually meet in person and the company is well proven..

Go-L on the other hand tends to be made out as a joke at some points, has shifty corporate "headquarters" -- and nobody really knows who the hell owns it.
Aloha

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by BZ
Still waiting for that photo of side by side 24".

BZ
Ok, I promised you a picture so here is the link.

Pictures of dual Dell 2405 setup

Sorry it took so long, just haven't had the time to get it done. Anyway, the photo quality isn't that great but it at least gives the basic idea. BTW, ignore the messy setup, that will all be changed soon.
- TiBook 867mhz

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 12:13 AM

Good lord. Awesome setup, i'm very jealous.

"I start fires!"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by CIA
mmmmm.... Canyon display....

30 inches? Way too small.....

200" anyone?

Don't think they are mac compat. tho 8-)
"Brake all the rules..."

"Products on pair with..."

I call bullsh�t.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 03:40 AM

Nice, explains exactly why I won't buy a desk with a hutch, though
Aloha

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2005, 09:26 AM

Sweet!

So, is it love? What is your full set up and specs?

BZ

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BZ
Sweet!

So, is it love? What is your full set up and specs?

BZ
Yeah, the hutch isn't workng out but a new desk is on the way.

As for the setup and specs.

Powermac G5 2.0 with 3gigs of ram and waiting for a X800 video card to arrive. I use the setup for Photoshop, and Illustrator and play around with Final Cut and even motion sometimes. I am no graphic artist by trade but love to tinker with it and created a setup that lets me do that as well as play games.

In the near future I will have my Game consoles (not a kid just still enjoy playing games), Two PC's and my Satellite dish hooked up to the monitors for a full multiple input enviroment. That is probably one of my favorite features of the displays. Of course, the cheap price I paid for them didn't hurt either. I do have a set of Klipsch speakers for the 2-way sound and a Kenwood stereo receiver and speakers for 5.1 sound when using the computer to watch a dvd or watching anything on the dish. I also have a VCR "cough" that will be hooked up shortly to just input video footage into the mac. Not sure which converter I am going to use but i'll figure one out.

Once everything is setup and the room the way I want it I will be able to say it's true love. Love the displays but once everything is there I will be quite happy.
- TiBook 867mhz

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 06:30 PM

Canopus ADVC-100 is a good analog-DV (and vice versa) converter for around $300 MSRP.

"I start fires!"

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 10:15 AM

I've seen those but haven't really looked at them. On the other hand I haven't looked too much at analog-DV converters at all just a quick glance here and there. I will check that one out as well as other since I am getting close to being in the market for one.
- TiBook 867mhz

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 04:53 PM

hey...anybody get the card readers in these things to work. for some reason i cant get it to work on either of my cuz' two 24" dell's and that would suck if the card readers weren't available for Mac users.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 11:51 PM

I have both of them workng in mine. I did find that they cannot be hooked up to a USB card in the computer. they must be hooked either directly to the computer or to a good poweed usb hub. Do that and no worries. I did have issues at first with the built-in USB ports but the above solved that for me.

BTW, the card reader is damned fast for importing pictures in from digital media. The media was instantly recognized using it. I hae actually quit hooking the camera up to the computer.

Still have my setup on the damn desk above but parts are getting here and the top is about to be stained. Should be nice when done. I'll be sure to post pictures again once I have it all setup.
- TiBook 867mhz

st0944
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 04:23 PM

Sorry about the newbie question. Just ordered and received the DELL 2405FP. I have PC gear right now, but think about going to MAC because I tinker with photo processing. A friend has CS2 on his Powermac and it is a killer app. I use Nikon Capture and Photoshop CS. I fell in lust for my friends Apple 23" Cinema display, but had heard good about the Dell. Hope I did good. But the folks at Dell know nothing about using their monitor with MAC gear. At least that was my experience with them "We don't support MACs." Can you tell me if there are any issues using the Dell monitor with the Powermac G5?
Thanks.

Link
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 05:10 PM

st0944: Before we start, it's written as Mac or mac as a short-version of "Macintosh", not MAC which would be an abbreviation for Media Access Control.

Now, the Dell 24" has several inputs: VGA, DVI, S-Video, and composite (I think there might also be component/"RGB").. both VGA and DVI will work just fine with any computer, including a Mac, though DVI would be preferable.
Aloha

st0944
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been subjected to many Mac attacks from my friends. Some Mac folks are almost cultish about their equipment. As someone with many years in IT, it is all just "stuff." Although I like Apple's industrial design (except the Powermac G5), for me, it is only about the work that it does.
Just wanted to be sure there were no "driver" issues with the Dell.
Earlier in this thread, I believe, someone mentions difficulties using the card reader slots on the Dell monitor with the Mac.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 10:29 AM

Card reader slots on both of my displays work fine.
- TiBook 867mhz

st0944
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 01:45 PM

Does anyone have any experience attempting to do color management on the Dell 2405FP?
Thanks!

maggie11_6
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 10:05 PM

great

maggie11_6
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 10:07 PM

mmmmm.... Canyon display....

sam004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2005, 02:07 PM

good job.
thanks..........
Dealdestination.com

klinux
Senior User
Jun 13, 2005, 05:41 PM

Now $899 before taxes. See www.techbargains.com or your favorite deal/coupon site.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Shootingstars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 09:16 PM

Dell monitors are great monitors and the prices are unbeatable. I'm been using a Dell 20" LCD for over 3 yrs and never experience any problems. Yesterday I just order the Dell 24" (2405FPW) for only $899 after using the 25% coupon. I'm a big Apple fan but comparing the Apple 23" at $1499 to the Dell 24" at $899...it was a very easy decision to make.

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
yeah, Dells are crap, whatever... MORON!

I'm sitting here at work, at the photo studio, in front of one of the infamous 'pink' brand-new 23's. Of course it was my decision to purchase two of these DOGS for the new DP/G5 retouching stations over a Sony Artisan or something of the ilk. Happy I'm not. Back in the studio they have a couple older 20's that are striped so badly side-to-side when displaying a grey desktop that we call them the Neopolitans.

When I go home, I'm in front of one of the new Dell 20" wides, the 2005FPW, and it doesn't have any of those prolems. A MUCH better value then the Apples, especially when you consider the DVI/VGA/Composite/S-video input package, capable of displaying pic-in-pic. Just a plain old better value, I don't care what color the case is or what name is on the front. I've passed down to my mom one of the Dell 1900FP UltraSharp 19", which is still beautiful and crisp. I still like the 1280x1024 rez on a 19" screen, it makes my 36-year-old eyes happy. My 63-year-old mom should get a kick out of it.

Think whatever you want, as you will.... but the Dell displays are far from crap, and the Apples (that it has been my misfortune to recommend here at work) have been really disappointing.

This coming from a definite Apple fan boy as well... 17"PB, G5 1.6, B&W, 2G iPod, etc...

Shootingstars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 02:10 AM

I just got my Dell 2405FPW 2 days ago and this display is really nice.

Originally Posted by Cadaver
It looks very interesting. Style-wise, its nearly identical to the 2005WFP and 2001FP. Plain & functional, but nothing offensive.

And I just bet it wont have the yellow/pink color issue the Apple 23" monitor does.

I *am* in the market for a new display. I wont consider the Apple 23" at all because of the serious problems with image quality/staining. The 20" is too small (vertical resolution-wise) for my needs. I was/am seriously considering the Apple 30", despite its enormous size & price tag (recently bought a Radeon X800 just so I could support one), but this has me seriously reconsidering the 30" in favor of this more managable display.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 05:55 AM

Talk about rip-off Britain. Dell UK wants £1173 for the 2405FPW. That's US$2137!!

It would be cheaper for me to get a cheap weekend holiday package and fly to New York, pick one of these bad buys up and fly back with it (and probably even pay VAT on it).

Crazy.

intake
Jun 23, 2005, 09:21 PM

We just received our 2405. It arrived in perfect condition, and there are zero bad pixels. The backlight illumination is even across the entire panel. I have it hooked up by DVI-D to our MDD/867. I haven't used the card read functions yet. No point until I hook it up to a computer with USB 2.0.

Overall, it's a beautiful display! It's also huge! I had no trouble color calibrating it. It makes the older 19" Apple Studio display next to it look small with a very dim and yellow picture.

Also, the display pivot works perfectly in Tiger. It makes reading long MacNN threads fun!

sevendhappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 06:44 PM

Saw this over on the Anandtech forums. Just thought I'd share. Looks like a good deal. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 06:26 PM

25% off Dell 2405fpw (24”) flat panel
12ms response, 1920x1200, 1000:1 contrast for $899.25 free shipping after 25% off
Code: ZXLDPL4G38H8F8 Exp Th 6/30 5:59am CT or after 500 uses

steeph28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 03:16 PM

I hope it's okay I post this question here. I've been looking to buy a monitor for my powermac but I am not sure what to purchase. I've been looking at getting either the 19in Dell W1900 LCD TV or two Dell 17in UltraSharp 1704FPT monitors. Which purchase would be the best? With the TV I obviously get the built-in tuner and HD but will it display the higher resolutions (I have the ATI 9650) like the normal monitors will? Thanks for the help!

sevendhappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 08:38 PM

I received my 2405FPW monitor this past Friday, July 1st after ordering it from that Dell Rep on the Anandtech forum on June 24th. The deal was for $840 shipped + whatever tax your state might include. I believe this deal ends July 6th. Awesome monitor! For the money, compared to the ACDs, it can't be beat.

gostan
Jul 15, 2005, 12:44 PM

I have been considering a 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Display, but Wednesday I ordered a Dell 2405FPW for $899. It is expected to arrive on Monday. The decision to go for the Dell was rather easy as the 24"er was only $100 more than a 20" Cinema Display. Also, since I intend to use it in my office, the Dell's multiple connection options will allow me to use one monitor for my IBM ThinkCentre PC and for my PowerBook. The fun will begin sometime Monday. Can't wait as I am currently working on a 17" Viewsonic or my 15" PB.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

gostan
Jul 18, 2005, 02:23 PM

FedEx delivered my Dell 2405FP about an hour ago and it is simply beautiful. No dead pixels. Easy set-up as I am already switching back and forth between my PB and my ThinkCentre. Yes, the aesthetics of the Apple Cinema Display are more dramatic. But the multiple connections and card reader capabilities of the Dell and the super price point make it a solid investment and a winning display. How did I ever go so long without a 24" widescreen on my desktop. I am already spoiled.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 07:41 PM

Dell Small Biz Software & Peripherals has 35% off Dell 2405FPW with code: 629P2JKBS7CWWD Exp 7/20 11:59pm CT - Limited time Offer
Free shipping on orders $49+, tax is charged.

That's $779.35 + tax. Came out to $826.11 for me after tax.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2005, 09:10 PM

There is no way those products are real. Especially the laptops. They're advertising a 3.4 Ghz laptop with a 15" display (with a massive 1900 resolution), two DVD burners, three solid state hard drives that apparently allow up to 300GB of space, and 4 GB of RAM.

Also, their "store" lists no prices or any links to purchase. No dealers, no store, no checkout, nothing.
( Last edited by cleanup; Jul 18, 2005 at 09:18 PM. )

gostan
Jul 19, 2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
Dell Small Biz Software & Peripherals has 35% off Dell 2405FPW with code: 629P2JKBS7CWWD Exp 7/20 11:59pm CT - Limited time Offer
Free shipping on orders $49+, tax is charged.

That's $779.35 + tax. Came out to $826.11 for me after tax.
Great price. Go for it! I guess if I had waited I would have saved $72.98, but I am still enjoying the use of my new monitor. I guess that there will always be a cheaper price for computer equipment after you close your deal.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 10:50 PM

Just got my 24 incher today.
Anyone notice a high pitch whine noise?

gostan
Jul 23, 2005, 09:23 AM

Mine is silent as if it were not even powered up. When do you hear this noise and what outputs are you using to computer(s)?

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by gostan
Mine is silent as if it were not even powered up. When do you hear this noise and what outputs are you using to computer(s)?
I got everything set to Automatic.
I hear this high pitch whine the loudest when I stick my ear next to the right side of the rear panel.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
Just got my 24 incher today.
Anyone notice a high pitch whine noise?
Is it possible that you're a dog?

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 06:21 AM

1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
Is it possible that you're a dog?
You have to be deaf or have a lot of ambient noise where you are using it in order to not hear this hi-pitched frequency whine.
Takes about an hour to get it hot enough to start whining, sounds like your have ringing in your ears.
I'm calling Dell and have them pick this garbage up tomorrow eventhough the picture looks stunning with no dead pixel whatsoever.

gostan
Jul 24, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
You have to be deaf or have a lot of ambient noise where you are using it in order to not hear this hi-pitched frequency whine.
Takes about an hour to get it hot enough to start whining, sounds like your have ringing in your ears.
I'm calling Dell and have them pick this garbage up tomorrow eventhough the picture looks stunning with no dead pixel whatsoever.
Unfortunately, you must have received a defective display. Mine has not noise or dead pixels. I am a very happy dell monitor purchaser. Sorry about your lousy luck.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2005, 05:24 PM

Have to agree with gostan. I hhave 2 24" Dell displays and have no problems at all. Probably just a defective display. I highly doubt the replacement would be the same. Maybe let them try to resolve the issue before you label the whole line as garbage.
- TiBook 867mhz

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a bad inverter, they can do that when they're no good (same with power supplies lol)
Aloha

osxisfun
Jul 25, 2005, 12:37 PM

How about the pixel sharpeness...

The screen is stretched by one more inch than most mac people are used to...

The screen still look good in this regard?

thanks

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
How about the pixel sharpeness...

The screen is stretched by one more inch than most mac people are used to...

The screen still look good in this regard?

thanks
Screen PQ is unbelieveable but it's the high pitch whine that gives me a headache after 30 minutes of use.
Anyway, DHL came picked it up about an hour ago. Hope they refund the full amount.

osxisfun
Jul 25, 2005, 08:01 PM

thanks luck8,

best wishes on a quick replacement. didn't they offer to swap out for a new one?

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
thanks luck8,

best wishes on a quick replacement. didn't they offer to swap out for a new one?
Nah, they didn't even offer a swap.
Anyway I heard a lot of people were getting a refurb as a swap.
I wouldn't want that to happen to me, ya know...
I'll just stick with my 20 incher until the A02 revisions are out. Shouldn't be much longer...

neps
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 12:40 AM

can anyone verify the height of the 24" widescreen display? The dell site says 22 inches, but I just wanted to double check. The computer desk I have only has clearance for 20-21 inches, so it would suck to be so close but yet so far.

thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules