Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Excel Mileage Tracker

Excel Mileage Tracker
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 09:18 PM

Does anyone know where I can find an excel mileage tracker template?
Thanks

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by RobOnTheCape:
Does anyone know where I can find an excel mileage tracker template?
Thanks
What exactly are you looking for? It can be relatively easy to set up your own (and easily managed). Can you give more specifics?
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'm looking to track my daily mileage using excel. I had a template a few years ago, and would like to use one again.

The teplate simply wants the starting and ending mileage, then it will show the miles added for the trip or day. At the bottom of the page it will show a continual tally.

Thanks

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by RobOnTheCape:
I'm looking to track my daily mileage using excel. I had a template a few years ago, and would like to use one again.

The teplate simply wants the starting and ending mileage, then it will show the miles added for the trip or day. At the bottom of the page it will show a continual tally.

Thanks
This can be set up. And if done correctly allows you to compile monthly and yearly data. If you have a worksheet for a month set up correctly (i.e. labeled Jan2005), then you can copy it for each month and rename those worksheets according to months.

Now for the good part, since every worksheet will be the same format (every cell in each sheet refers exactly to the same thing), you can have Excel automatically sum up the results.

Insert two blank worksheets: name one First, name the other Last. Then move the Month named sheets between these two worksheets.

Make one more copy of the monthly worksheetsheet, and rename it Summary, but move it before First worksheet. Then you can use formulas that will give you automatic summaries.

For instance, suppose that mileage for Day 1 of the month is always in cell D4. Day 2 in cell E4, etc.

Then in D4, put this formula:

=SUM(First:Last!D4)

Then select D4 and drag/copy it to the right. It will sum all mileage for Day One for the entire year.

Not sure if this is what you want, if you need more, let me know, I can set up a mock workbook.

BTW, what operating system are you using, and what version of Excel?
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 06:28 PM

As I gulp. I'll give it a try.

I'm using Office 2004.

Thanks very much for the info.

I'll let you know if this works. I'm sure it would on your end, but me trying to set this up is another story.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 06:40 PM

Give it a go. You might be surprised. I also use XL2004 at home and XL 2002 (Win2k) at work.

If you get stuck, let me know. In fact, if you construct the base sheet, I can lead you along. If nothing else, I can modify what you have. And what I described will quickly become evident as you work with it.

I didn't even start using Excel until I was past 50, didn't know formulas, or anything. Now I work for Fortune 100 company and am considered the Excel Guru for the department. I am at best an intermediate user, but I learned much by experimenting, and getting help [books and internet]. So, I am happy to help in any way I can.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 12:01 AM

Any status update? If necessary, pm me and we can work offline.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 12:43 AM

I know this is a very old thread, but why start another one if it's a similar request right? This is my old Excel template. Problem was (and I'm not even sure how I set this up) the template didn't allow me to input a fresh number for trip 2 (and not have it carry the value over from trip 1).

I need the template to do 2 things:

** (1)place the values for the ending miles for trip 1 on the space for the starting miles for trip 2; and
(2)add up the total miles traveled for the month.

** The only catch is that for (1), I will need an exception rule where I can start with a fresh number for trip 2 (and not have it carry the value over from trip 1). This is where my lack of Excel knowledge got me in trouble with the folks in accounting. They said that I needed to have some (real-world) traveling after work (as in 15 or 20 miles in between days or 40-50 miles after a weekend). For example, on lines 25 (12/7/06) I ended the day at 119011, BUT on line 26 (12/9/06) the template automatically carried that number (119011) to start a new day.

I don't know if I explained this well or not. I realize that this is very easy for many of you, but I'm not any good at Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Aug 29, 2006 at 01:01 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules