Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels being sued

Parallels being sued
inkhead
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 11:43 PM

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2007, 04:54 AM

Sounds like the project went no where and was either dumped or absorbed by the now Parallels Workstation, now the original company wants its share of its investment back, conveniently, after Parallels becomes popular...
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 08:17 AM

Well if parallels is using technology that netsys copyrighted. It all seems so convoluted. I had no idea parallels was russion owned (not that it matters).

I'm sure like most IP lawsuits this one will be settled after a few years for an undisclosed sum.
Michael

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Apr 26, 2007, 03:36 PM

If this is true this would not be okay for Parallels. This would be the same as me be hired as a contractor to write the code for TextMate, then after I was done contracting taking the code and turning it into SubEthaEdit, and selling it for a profit. If you are contracted out to do work, it's property of the company who contracted you.

I'm not sure what to think, Parallels went to great lengths to hide the fact that they are a Russian company, even directly lying about it. It just seems shady.

Hope it's not true and would like for them to be upfront, otherwise it leaves people thinking bad things. If this lawsuit goes forward, you can bet they will sue in the USA as well.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 10:30 PM

Good artists copy, great artists steal.
- A very wise person

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 03:26 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
I'm not sure what to think, Parallels went to great lengths to hide the fact that they are a Russian company, even directly lying about it. It just seems shady.
It's true, they're a russian company. I've known this for a long time. "Parallels" doesn't actually do any coding. Just take a look at the bad translation job that is the Parallels help files. They contain gems such as this:

"When you start Parallels Desktop, its main window displays a VM Catalog dialog with a list of virtual machines available on your computer. As a background, a Configuration Page for a new blank virtual machine is opened."

Ah well. That's why I'm a VMWare guy.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 04:22 PM

In Soviet Russia, Parallels runs you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules