Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Adobe CS3 Upgrade WARNING!!!

Adobe CS3 Upgrade WARNING!!!
cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2007, 06:48 PM

I am posting this message to warn others of this pitfall I've found myself in under the Adobe CS3 Upgrade paths..

I've own the following products...

Adobe Creative Suite 1 for the Mac
Adobe Creative Suite 2 for the Mac
Macromedia MX Studio for the Mac & PC (both purchased versions)
Macromedia MX2004 Studio for the Mac & PC (both purchased versions)
Macromedia Studio 7 for the Mac & PC (both purchased versions)

I recently bought & received Adobe Creative Suite 3 for the Mac (Upgrade). I installed it and enjoyed it for a few days. I then discovered that they discontinued the Adobe Imageready software.

I've read others who also noted it and suggest using Fireworks. Hey, I have the old versions of Fireworks on the various STUDIO version listed above, so I purchased & Downloaded Adobe Fireworks CS3 upgrade.

WRONG. DO NOT DO THIS. In order to UPGRADE to Fireworks CS3 you must have the STAND-ALONE version of Fireworks MX, MX2004, or Fireworks 8.. You cannot upgrade even if you purchased the Studios..

I spent HOURS on the phone with Adobe today & its still being "researched" on how to fix this problem but had I know this.. I would have ordered the Adobe CS3 Standard & Adobe CS3 Web Standard... which would have given me all that I have with Adobe CS3 Premium plus Fireworks CS3...

If I am forced to purchase the FULL version of Fireworks CS3 then its $100 more than the upgrade path I should have chosen.

Their website is VERY confusing on the upgrade paths... I post this message to warn/caution others to make sure they're upgrading to the correct versions & don't get into upgrade pothole/pithole I am in...

Christopher Powers

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 07:12 PM

What does imageready do that photoshop doesn't.

Which version of Creative Suite did you buy because I have the web premium and I have fireworks.
Since I never used image ready, I'm not really sure what it did over photoshop. I remember it being part of my photoshop cs but since it's editing capabilities seemed to be dwarfed by photoshop I never really used it.
Michael

indigoimac
Senior User
Apr 24, 2007, 09:15 PM

At least in the Photoshop CS3 Beta (I dont have it open right now) but save for web and devices seemed to satisfy any needs that imageready used to fulfill
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
What does imageready do that photoshop doesn't.
Imagemaps

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Imagemaps
Gotcha, thanks

So if the OP purchased the web flavor of creative suite 3 we wouldn't be having this discussion right? I mean fireworks is included in the standard/premium of the web edition, otherwise he needs to purchase the product separately. I suppose I can understand that he'll need to buy the complete package since he has no prior release of fireworks to upgrade too.

So I guess the issue goes back to caveat emptor, I spent a solid week trying to figure out which edition would fit my needs the best (I came from CS so I figured a lot has changed since then) and it came down to web premium because of the inclusion acrobat professional and illustrator.

I'd suggest to the OP, to call adobe and perhaps they can do some sort of cross grade upgrade to a higher edition. When I purchased the web premium adobe offered for x dollars more to upgrade to the master collection.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; Apr 25, 2007 at 08:00 AM. )
Michael

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Imagemaps
and also gif animation.

Imageready discontinued? shame. Its a hidden gem of a tool for web design. But I haven't used photoshop CS3 or fireworks yet....
ππ>_<ππ

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 08:06 AM

It may be a hidden gem but I wonder how many people there were like me, that didn't use it because the tools set wasn't all that different then PS, at least so much so that it did not warrant them from spending funds to improve it.
Michael

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2007, 10:15 AM

we're hoping that fireworks or the new pscs3 will cover all our gif rollovers, animation, slicing for mockups, etc.

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 10:28 AM

Fireworks is another of those underappreciated apps. I'm glad to see Adobe is keeping it alive.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

indigoimac
Senior User
Apr 26, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
It may be a hidden gem but I wonder how many people there were like me, that didn't use it because the tools set wasn't all that different then PS, at least so much so that it did not warrant them from spending funds to improve it.
I'm in the same boat... I really never bothered to learn it because it was just another app that I felt PS made obsolete.

I see the point w. the imagemaps or the gif animation(which i thought u could do in PS) though
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

inkhead
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 10:49 PM

you really should not be ALLOWED TO CREAT WEB CONTENT if you use Photoshop or ImageReady for ImageMaps or Rollovers. The code is HORRIBLE disaster. There are plenty of free products that can do a much better job, faster and cleaner than imageready.

There is a reason it's gone!!!!

AppleTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 08:36 AM

I agree with Inkhead, image maps and rollovers .. not in today's world.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
you really should not be ALLOWED TO CREAT WEB CONTENT if you use Photoshop or ImageReady for ImageMaps or Rollovers.
Sorry to disappoint you but I use ImageMaps and rollovers and to be honest I don't really care if it produces horrible code - as long as it works which it does. I'll continue to use photoshop to prodice web content and I suspect many other people will too.

Edit: I use Dw so the code means even less as I let the application do what it wants as long the content comes out the way I need/want it to.
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; May 12, 2007 at 08:57 AM. )
Michael

chirpy22
Jun 4, 2007, 12:15 PM

Eventually, Adobe will cancel Fireworks as well. There's no reason for them to keep it around with Photoshop. The same way they cancelled FreeHand and kept Illustrator. And the same way they are cancelling GoLive in favor of Dreamweaver.

Forum Links
Forum Rules