Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library 2 on Wired

Delicious Library 2 on Wired
Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 06:01 PM

illitrate
Oct 31, 2007, 08:06 PM

that just looks awesome

but, "out in time for the holidays"??? so it's gonna be another month at least before it's released?

Delicious Monster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 08:17 PM

Indeed. I even wrote a blog entry about it.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2007, 11:48 PM

Maybe I'm a geek, but this is seriously the most intriguing feature I've seen, assuming it's done right:

This program has eye-candy and coolness overload written all over it! My wallet graciously capitulates.

Delicious Monster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 11:36 AM

It is a really cool feature. We had to extract the color information anyway for some esoteric implementation detail and figured, hey, what the hell.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2007, 03:07 PM

Looks good enough to ship guys

REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 06:43 PM

Looks fantastic. So glad smart shelves have been added, it is always something I felt was missing.

Couple of questions if you don't mine.

Is it possible to turn off the iTunes section? Can't say I'd personally use that as I use it to manage things that are loaned out, so obviously that wouldn't be much use.

Also will it be possible to do a "one off" search using the same rules as smart shelves, but without creating one, i.e. say I just wanted to find all my comedies but I didn't want a shelf of them that I have to delete when I'm done.

Is it possible to set which fields you want it to get from Amazon. For example I couldn't care less about Amazon's current value and user rating, so I always deleted it.

Finally, are there plans for built in Time Machine support?

This and Textmate 2 (which looks like it has been delayed indefinitely ) are the 2 apps that had me upgrading to Leopard without a months hesitation so I am eagerly awaiting this

Totally unrelated, but is there a way to reload the "Similar" items list (or disable it entirely), I've spent ages tidying up the details from Amazon so I don't want those all reloaded but I accidently deleted all the similar items when I used DeliciWeb.
( Last edited by REBELinBLUE; Nov 1, 2007 at 06:52 PM. )

Delicious Monster  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 01:27 PM

Is it possible to turn off the iTunes section?
Yes.

Also will it be possible to do a "one off" search using the same rules as smart shelves, but without creating one
No, but, really, smart shelves are just persistent search results, so deleting smart shelves is not unlike deleting the "recent searches." It's weird in metaphor, but works in practice.

Is it possible to set which fields you want it to get from Amazon.
No, but like the current version, you can select everything and delete the content of the fields you don't care about, which will make them go away. Delicious Library 2 does add AppleScript support, so you can at least automate that process.

I couldn't care less about Amazon's current value
You should. That's insurance information.

Finally, are there plans for built in Time Machine support?
This API never really materialized, but here's what we did do: you can import the bookmarks, those little metadata files that are automatically generated for the benefit of Spotlight. Set Time Machine to back up that folder, and you've got Time Machine support at the item level.

I am eagerly awaiting this
Me too!

is there a way to reload the "Similar" items list
Not without manipulating the XML directly, I'm afraid. The only way to get the similar items back is to reload, which will destroy your changes. That said, Delicious Library 2 is smarter about preserving user data on reload, and it's not bogged down by having all those extra items, so you should probably just wait.

REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 06:21 PM

Cool, thanks for all the info

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2007, 06:17 PM

Can't wait. DL2 looks great!

I have a question though. I see that there seems to be support for more and/or variable book sizes, as well as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. What about other DVD form factors?

I have a lot of box sets, or special additions that don't come in the standard DVD black plastic case. Is there a way for them to look different, either through a more refined "box" option or are they perhaps easily theme-able somehow?

Thanks!

-mpm

Forum Links
Forum Rules